M.D./M.B.A.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubster9

Crown Prince
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For MD/MBA programs, what is the admission process like. Is it easier or harder than straight MD?

Members don't see this ad.

I imagine that getting into any dual degree program (MD + something else) is harder than just getting into an MD program! There are far less students in these programs, and are therefore more selective.

Hiya Bubster9 - I'm also planning to apply to MD/MBA programs. Right now I'm just applying to med school - normally you have to get into the med school first then you can apply to the business school (with the exception of Wharton and others where you can apply to both schools simultaneously, although their website states that most people wait to get into the med school first). Also, some schools like Columbia Business and Tuck at Dartmouth, require the GMAT...but again I believe you have to get into their med school first. Tufts has a cool program - it's 4 years long...so no extra one year tuition but you certainly won't have any free summers plus I'm not sure how one would do 3rd and 4th year rotations away from Tufts if one wanted to. So, to finally answer your question, I personally think it's a little harder getting into MD/MBA programs because the medical and business school have completely different admissions processes (except for Tufts) and you have to get into the med school first. On the other hand, it may be a little easier getting into considering that not too many people apply to these programs - at least that's what the Director of the Md/MBA programs at Tufts told me - yet I think the amount of applicants must be increasing each year overall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a fourth year medical student and am also earning my MBA. I applied to business school after getting into medical school. I had to take the GMAT and apply to business school using the same application as other MBA students, as well as having an interview. I don't know much about combined programs that accept students directly from undergrad.

The administration at my business school is very supportive of dual degree students and gave me a full tuition scholarship for the year I spent there. Earning my MBA has been a wonderful experience (and welcomed break from medical school) I went to South Africa a couple years ago, and will be learning about global management issues by taking a trip to Europe this winter. When you go on medical school interviews make sure you ask about opportunities to earn an MBA and what type of support or assistance the school gives to MD student who want to earn an MBA.
;)

The combined degree is great. At Duke, we've got 8 students from my med school class at the business school right now and, even though it's a completely different world, we're all loving it. Go for it -- you'll be better prepared for whatever you do.

Maybe I should have actually answered your question. :)

It's basically an automatic acceptance to the business school here. You apply during your second year and, given that your MCAT and GPA were high enough to get you into medical school, the acceptance rolls right in. The GMAT is a glorified SAT, so don't worry about it.