FMG M.D P.A

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProgressiveJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has met a FMG that became a PA in the united States. I frequently take my mother to a private doctors office that has a P.A with a medical graduate degree from Egypt, but did A Physician assistant program (UC Davis). The Physician that owns the practice is married to them and is a hospitalist. On the business card it list them as a MD,PA. How common is this and should they be referred to as a MD/physician ? In the US.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If they did school in India, it should say MBBS. That's disingenuous. Calling themselves a physician when they are a physician's assistant is also somewhat grey.

That would be pretty unusual. I thought india grants the MBBS degree, not an MD?

You can practice medicine in the US after doing a residency in your field. Usually that would be a better option than going to PA school in the US. Maybe it would be shorter depending on the field or he couldn't match to a US residency.

And who is married to whom? I'm a little confused there

Members don't see this ad :)
If they did school in India, it should say MBBS. That's disingenuous. Calling themselves a physician when they are a physician's assistant is also somewhat grey.
My mother requested to see the physician once and I referred to his wife as P.A. He told my mother she could request to see him anytime, but he's busy a lot. It kind of confused me when he said his wife is a physician too, and that she's better at this than him. I guess he was meaning primary care issues.

Last edited:
I don't know about India. But I know in some Commonwealth nations (e.g. Australia), the MBBS is the traditional (undergraduate) medical degree (while the MD is a graduate level medical degree), but today they're moving to the MD as the main base medical degree (probably in part due to American influence).

That would be pretty unusual. I thought india grants the MBBS degree, not an MD?

You can practice medicine in the US after doing a residency in your field. Usually that would be a better option than going to PA school in the US. Maybe it would be shorter depending on the field or he couldn't match to a US residency.

And who is married to whom? I'm a little confused there
FMG P.A is married to him a physician in the united states.

My mother requested to see the physician once and I referred to them as a P.A his wife. He told my mother she could request to see him anytime but he's busy a lot. It kind of confused me when he said she's a physician too, and that she's better at this than him. I guess he was meaning primary care issues.

This is a lot of pronouns.

sorry I'm trying to be as inconspicuous as possible, and I'm sounding stupid. I don't know if she use this website or not most likely she doesn't.

Last edited:
I worked at a clinic where one of the doctors was listed as MD, DO. I thought that was interesting.

Yea, listing MD, PA is sketchy. Also calling yourself a physician when legally in this country you're not a physician is more sketchy.

If you have a degree that isn't accepted as valid by accrediting bodies, listing it on your website/badge whatever is not cool. I wonder if it's reportable. You can't go to PA school to obtain a DEA and license and then go around telling the public you're a doctor.

Finally: MBBS is considered similar to MD in U.S. It's a bit of a stretch but I don't think it's deceiving. I've seen at many hospitals white coats, badges etc with MD instead of MBBS. It's to limit confusion I think.

Reactions: 1 users
He never practiced as he was never licensed (no residency).
I thought he/she was already a PA (not a student)... I misread your post. It's sad that individual has to go thru PA training after finishing med school and passed boards...

Reactions: 1 user
She has a website that says she practiced in Egypt for 10 years as a family doctor. Then obtained a P.A at UC Davis, and a internal medicine observeship in I.M. From the university of Nevada medical school.

Last edited:
She's a very well trained PA. She should not be referred to as doctor or physician in the US.
I'm a DO, PA now in FM residency PGY2 after many years as a PA. I'm a well trained physician still in training. You may call me doctor now, but not when I work as a PA (fortunately no more since I now have a permanent physician license).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user