Quantcast

FMG M.D P.A

Achieve USMLE Step PREP Success | Picmonic
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ProgressiveJ

Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone else has met a FMG that became a PA in the united States. I frequently take my mother to a private doctors office that has a P.A with a medical graduate degree from Egypt, but did A Physician assistant program (UC Davis). The Physician that owns the practice is married to them and is a hospitalist. On the business card it list them as a MD,PA. How common is this and should they be referred to as a MD/physician ? In the US.

Last edited:

Psai

This space for lease
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If they did school in India, it should say MBBS. That's disingenuous. Calling themselves a physician when they are a physician's assistant is also somewhat grey.

organdonor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
That would be pretty unusual. I thought india grants the MBBS degree, not an MD?

You can practice medicine in the US after doing a residency in your field. Usually that would be a better option than going to PA school in the US. Maybe it would be shorter depending on the field or he couldn't match to a US residency.

And who is married to whom? I'm a little confused there

ProgressiveJ

Reaction score
If they did school in India, it should say MBBS. That's disingenuous. Calling themselves a physician when they are a physician's assistant is also somewhat grey.
My mother requested to see the physician once and I referred to his wife as P.A. He told my mother she could request to see him anytime, but he's busy a lot. It kind of confused me when he said his wife is a physician too, and that she's better at this than him. I guess he was meaning primary care issues.

Last edited:

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about India. But I know in some Commonwealth nations (e.g. Australia), the MBBS is the traditional (undergraduate) medical degree (while the MD is a graduate level medical degree), but today they're moving to the MD as the main base medical degree (probably in part due to American influence).

ProgressiveJ

Reaction score
That would be pretty unusual. I thought india grants the MBBS degree, not an MD?

You can practice medicine in the US after doing a residency in your field. Usually that would be a better option than going to PA school in the US. Maybe it would be shorter depending on the field or he couldn't match to a US residency.

And who is married to whom? I'm a little confused there
FMG P.A is married to him a physician in the united states.

organdonor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mother requested to see the physician once and I referred to them as a P.A his wife. He told my mother she could request to see him anytime but he's busy a lot. It kind of confused me when he said she's a physician too, and that she's better at this than him. I guess he was meaning primary care issues.

This is a lot of pronouns.

ProgressiveJ

Reaction score
sorry I'm trying to be as inconspicuous as possible, and I'm sounding stupid. I don't know if she use this website or not most likely she doesn't.

Last edited:

ACSurgeon

Acute Care Surgeon
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I worked at a clinic where one of the doctors was listed as MD, DO. I thought that was interesting.

Yea, listing MD, PA is sketchy. Also calling yourself a physician when legally in this country you're not a physician is more sketchy.

If you have a degree that isn't accepted as valid by accrediting bodies, listing it on your website/badge whatever is not cool. I wonder if it's reportable. You can't go to PA school to obtain a DEA and license and then go around telling the public you're a doctor.

Finally: MBBS is considered similar to MD in U.S. It's a bit of a stretch but I don't think it's deceiving. I've seen at many hospitals white coats, badges etc with MD instead of MBBS. It's to limit confusion I think.

Reactions: 1 users

W19

Membership Revoked
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
He never practiced as he was never licensed (no residency).
I thought he/she was already a PA (not a student)... I misread your post. It's sad that individual has to go thru PA training after finishing med school and passed boards...

Reactions: 1 user

ProgressiveJ

Reaction score
She has a website that says she practiced in Egypt for 10 years as a family doctor. Then obtained a P.A at UC Davis, and a internal medicine observeship in I.M. From the university of Nevada medical school.

Last edited:

primadonna22274

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
She's a very well trained PA. She should not be referred to as doctor or physician in the US.
I'm a DO, PA now in FM residency PGY2 after many years as a PA. I'm a well trained physician still in training. You may call me doctor now, but not when I work as a PA (fortunately no more since I now have a permanent physician license).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user