M.D. or Ph.D. LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LikeClockWork

The PI I work directly for (i.e. him and I only) is a Ph.D. on a study which requires an MD consult. The MD's son and I went to undergrad together and were well aquainted. This gives me a good "in" for when I go to the MD for a consult. Now the Ph.D. PI and I work in tandem day-to-day, and I do plan on getting a recommendation from him. However, the MD is no small potatoes in the academic world, and I can't help but feel that I should get a rec from the MD as well (since his word carries a lot of weight). I worry, however, that any rec he might give may carry more weight based on our interactions via my connection to his son rather than on my professional skills. Should I ask the MD for a recommendation, or would it be unfair to ask him to try to separate our personal and professional interactions?

Members don't see this ad.

The PI I work directly for (i.e. him and I only) is a Ph.D. on a study which requires an MD consult. The MD's son and I went to undergrad together and were well aquainted. This gives me a good "in" for when I go to the MD for a consult. Now the Ph.D. PI and I work in tandem day-to-day, and I do plan on getting a recommendation from him. However, the MD is no small potatoes in the academic world, and I can't help but feel that I should get a rec from the MD as well (since his word carries a lot of weight). I worry, however, that any rec he might give may carry more weight based on our interactions via my connection to his son rather than on my professional skills. Should I ask the MD for a recommendation, or would it be unfair to ask him to try to separate our personal and professional interactions?

Don't try to ask the MD for anything, they know the game. My recommendation is get good letter from both.

I'd hesitate to ask the MD for a LOR because 1) he's more likely to write about how he knows you through his son and 2) because he is not likely to know much about how well you are working in the lab and 3) he knows nothing about your work in the classroom.

Believe me, I've seen letters from very highly regarded physicians and academics (even a provost or college president, IIRC) but the letter says that the relationship developed because the applicant has been a neighbor for 16 years, or babysits for the kids, or was her kid's college roommate, or dates his daughter. These letters are generally considered uninformative. They don't hurt but they don't help.