M.D. school 24 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maybemed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I want to go to a M.D. school but I only got a 24 ( 8/8/8) on my MCAT.
Does anyone know any M.D. school in or out of the state of FL located in the USA that I have a chance at, I already know the HBCUs but what other schools.

Please do NOT bring up the URM thing......Alot of FL MD schools require a MCAT of at least a 25 and I have not heard of a black applicant with an MCAT score of less than a 27 to be accepted to FL MD schools. Even my school pre-health committee thinks I have no shot at a MD school either than the HBCUs.

Members don't see this ad.

I know of none.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're almost definitely going to have to re-take it if you want a shot at MD schools. Personally I wouldn't risk wasting an entire application cycle applying with a 24, regardless of how good everything else in your application is. You may want to head over to the MCAT forum and start formulating a strategy on how you can improve.

Stop dreamin' and retake that MCAT. No other way....or you could take the gamble and hope that the other parts of your application will be sturdy enough for the committee to consider your candidacy. :smuggrin:

You have no shot anywhere at a US MD. A 24 is stretching it for DO.

Don't listen to this advice OP. Have you thought about retaking the test? There is another poster on here I believe by the name of aspiringdoc09 or something similar that got accepted to his state MD school and an out of state school if I can recall, with a 23 mcat.

I wouldn't say that you have no shot, but your best bet, with that low of an mcat and outside of the HBCUs, would be your state school.

In my opinion, if you want a shot at an MD school and you don't want to retake your mcat, then you should be focusing on the HBCUs. With a score like 24, you really aren't in a position to be very selective.

In short, I really think you should retake your mcat because it's going to be an uphill battle.

Good luck in whatever you decide :thumbup:

I interviewed at Nova/ LECOM and they were both great schools. I don't think that there is anything against DO schools.

Also, you might want to tell us more about yourself stats wise. I don't think that you should base your decision of where to apply upon one factor. Albeit ,a very important one- still there are many other things that you could have going for yourself.

You really need to retake it. The chance of interviews, let alone an acceptance, is approaching zero. Check out the MSAR detailed MCAT breakdown for specific schools if you want to see what people are responding this way.

Good luck!

retake if you want MD that is not a HBU-but i believe that would be streching it

lol...How do you even know that you will score an interview at Howard? Or Meharry? Those places receive thousands of applications, ~5000 iirc.

Don't listen to this advice OP. Have you thought about retaking the test? There is another poster on here I believe by the name of aspiringdoc09 or something similar that got accepted to his state MD school and an out of state school if I can recall, with a 23 mcat.

DrStrange actually provided great advice - as he always does.

One anecdotal acceptance out of the 45,000 people that applied this year is not something to base an opinion on. The fact of the matter, whether people want to believe it or not, there is a overwhelming statistical chance of not gaining an acceptance with that score. The only advisable plan, rooted in any logic, is to retake the test.

Unless this is the absolute best score you can get, it's irresponsible not to take it again. There is plenty of time for this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the honest. I need to retake or stick to my plan to apply D.O. and HBCUs

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake the MCAT, but also APPLY early no matter what. Once your new scores come in AMCAS will update but apply early.

I think you should try some midwest privates that might want more AA students.

Here are the stats of past AA applicants and their success rates at being accepted into at least 1 MD school.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/2012factstable25-2.pdf

With your current MCAT score, as long as your GPA is above a 3.0 you stand around a 48% chance of being accepted into a US MD school. Above a 3.2, 65%, and so on. This includes historically black colleges though.

Look at the table, put in your GPA, and decide for yourself and decide if you need to retake.

Edit: Just saw your GPA. You are fine. 81% of people with your stats got in to MD schools. Retake only if you think you could score higher, otherwise, you should have a successful MD app season as long as you apply early and broadly.

I wouldn't say that you have no shot, but your best bet, with that low of an mcat and outside of the HBCUs, would be your state school.

In my opinion, if you want a shot at an MD school and you don't want to retake your mcat, then you should be focusing on the HBCUs. With a score like 24, you really aren't in a position to be very selective.

In short, I really think you should retake your mcat because it's going to be an uphill battle.

Good luck in whatever you decide :thumbup:

1. Doctor Strange has been here for some time and much of his advice is fruitful.
2. You are focusing on the exception, not the norm.
3. You restated what Doctor Strange and others have stated.

As an AA applicant, a 24 is fine as long as you apply broadly, and your GPA isn't awful. Your GPA will make you a fine candidate, and you should get in somewhere.

Maybe that's not the case in FL, but it is for OOS.

As an AA applicant, a 24 is fine as long as you apply broadly, and your GPA isn't awful.

I wouldn't call a <50% chance fine... don't underestimate how much time/money/energy/sanity is sacrificed in an application cycle OP.

Obviously this is subjective though, I tend to err on the side of caution.

I wouldn't call a <50% chance fine... don't underestimate how much time/money/energy/sanity is sacrificed in an application cycle OP.

Obviously this is subjective though, I tend to err on the side of caution.

Look at her GPA in her sig ;)

She has a 3.7. If past data of 81% of applicants with her stats getting in holds true, she is fine.

Whoops, good catch.

Still, boosting the MCAT closer to a 30 will give the OP significantly more options, which is always a good thing.

Yeah, my bad. Posted too quickly.

:thumbup:

Keep studying and if you start doing well on practice tests, only then retake. Aim for your top choice or a full scholarship, not just getting in. :)

Yeah. Right now my money is low but I planning to start working as a CNA in April, so I can save some money to register for the mcat again and hopefully get a tutor.

I really want a 30 because I know it will open the scholarship doors.

1. Doctor Strange has been here for some time and much of his advice is fruitful.
2. You are focusing on the exception, not the norm.
3. You restated what Doctor Strange and others have stated.

1. It doesn't matter how long someone has been on this site
2. I used an example as someone getting into an out of state MD school, if you look at the HBCUs statistics, getting in with a 24 is just about the norm
3. If you re-read what Doctor Strange said, he said that she has no chance at an MD school and that her 24 is a stretch for DO. I think he is wrong in both instances. Being an AA with a 24, she has a very good chance of gaining an acceptance at an MD school, an HBCU, but an MD school nonetheless. And as for her 24 being a stretch at a DO school, I'd say it is in fact not a stretch but very close to the averages at many DO schools.
4. Have you applied to medical school yet?

Yeah. Right now my money is low but I planning to start working as a CNA in April, so I can save some money to register for the mcat again and hopefully get a tutor.

I really want a 30 because I know it will open the scholarship doors.

:thumbup:

Seriously, spend some time on the MCAT forum here. You'll find lots of really good advice on how you can boost your score.

OP, I think you will do fine assuming your PS, LORs and ECs are in order and you apply early and interview well. Make sure you focus on the lower tier private schools (there are a few that are non-HBCU) and add a few DO schools as others have said above.

EDIT: Yes, a 24 will not cut it though, if you are looking for scholarships

GL!

Last edited:
1. It doesn't matter how long someone has been on this site
2. I used an example as someone getting into an out of state MD school, if you look at the HBCUs statistics, getting in with a 24 is just about the norm
3. If you re-read what Doctor Strange said, he said that she has no chance at an MD school and that her 24 is a stretch for DO. I think he is wrong in both instances. Being an AA with a 24, she has a very good chance of gaining an acceptance at an MD school, an HBCU, but an MD school nonetheless. And as for her 24 being a stretch at a DO school, I'd say it is in fact not a stretch but very close to the averages at many DO schools.
4. Have you applied to medical school yet?

1. Agreed, but you weren't much aware of Doctor Strange based on his previous posts. I won't blame you for that.
2. The problem is I omitted the fact that race gives you a major upper hand in these cases.
3. That's the main reason why it's possible.. (see #2)
4. :naughty:

Okay, so admittedly, I was under the impression that the average MCAT at a DO school was more around a 27. In any case, I'm going to amend my initial statement and say that it would not be "safe" to apply with a 24 MCAT to MD schools. HBCUs would still be on the table, but, being an AA female, retaking the MCAT and doing better would open many, many doors.

Okay, so admittedly, I was under the impression that the average MCAT at a DO school was more around a 27.

It is around 27. Maybe the newer schools are around 24 or 25 though

I personally know someone who got into medical school with a 24, granted it was an HBCU and she was an alumna of that HBCU, but n=1.

I don't see why you think it makes sense to say "please don't bring up the URM" thing when whether or not you're African American or Asian makes all the difference in the world for whether or not you'll have a reasonable shot at acceptance. There's just no way to give you advice without bringing it up, as others have already pointed out.

I don't see why you think it makes sense to say "please don't bring up the URM" thing when whether or not you're African American or Asian makes all the difference in the world for whether or not you'll have a reasonable shot at acceptance. There's just no way to give you advice without bringing it up, as others have already pointed out.

Agreed. The advice would be very different if the OP were an ORM or white.

If she doesn't retest, but applies VERY EARLY with a great app she should get interviews and an acceptance if she applies broadly to the right schools that want more URMs and to HBCUs.

Suggest:
calling Deans of Admissions and seeing how competitive you are
re-taking MCAT
re-considering HBMC's

Even with a 24, DO schools will give you a lot more love than MD programs currently, but I think you're still selling yourself short, especially with that fine GPA.

I want to go to a M.D. school but I only got a 24 ( 8/8/8) on my MCAT.
Does anyone know any M.D. school in or out of the state of FL located in the USA that I have a chance at, I already know the HBCUs but what other schools.

Please do NOT bring up the URM thing......Alot of FL MD schools require a MCAT of at least a 25 and I have not heard of a black applicant with an MCAT score of less than a 27 to be accepted to FL MD schools. Even my school pre-health committee thinks I have no shot at a MD school either than the HBCUs.

Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. 81.2% chance is amazing and basically a shoe-in.

24 just seems so low though :( i know the stats don't lie but still I would never personally feel comfortable applying with that. Does the aamc data include DO schools? Just out of curiosity.

24 just seems so low though :( i know the stats don't lie but still I would never personally feel comfortable applying with that. Does the aamc data include DO schools? Just out of curiosity.

No... Only MD.

Men lie, women lie, numbers don't. 81.2% chance is amazing and basically a shoe-in.

Thank you! People look at the data and then continue to give beyond terrible advice. 81.2% chance and people think OP will have a tough time getting into MD and should shoot for DO if not doing a retake? That's ridiculous. OP has the same chance as a white applicant who has between a 3.6-3.79 gpa and a 33-35 mcat. Would you tell someone with those stats to improve their stats before applying out of fear of all rejections? Nope.

https://www.aamc.org/download/321518/data/2012factstable25-4.pdf

Thank you! People look at the data and then continue to give beyond terrible advice. 81.2% chance and people think OP will have a tough time getting into MD and should shoot for DO if not doing a retake? That's ridiculous. OP has the same chance as a white applicant who has between a 3.6-3.79 gpa and a 33-35 mcat. Would you tell someone with those stats to improve their stats before applying out of fear of all rejections? Nope.

That also depends on how OP interviews... And we don't know where those students applied, what states they were in, etc... A lot of factors, and OP already said she doesn't have a lot of money and wants scholarships. So her best bet is study hard, hit a 30, and apply next year early and all over.

I think a lot of the bad advice stems from the fact that getting into medical school is a very racist process (certain races are favored while others discriminated ), but people are afraid to acknowledge this despite the fact that it's needed to give accurate advice. People often choose not to think clearly rather than just acknowledge things that may make them uncomfortable or result in them getting some backlash (for example, people often get very defensive when someone asks "are you an URM?" despite it being a reasonable question when someone gets in with very low scores, and the OP here didn't want the race aspect brought up despite mentioning).

The OP happens to be the race which is worth something like a 10 point or so MCAT boost, so she'll very likely get into an MD school. It's impossible to ignore this and give good advice, as she'd likely be wasting her money applying to MD schools if she were Asian.

OP, retake the MCAT to be comfortable. If you just want to get in, you might as is, but if you want options and potential scholarships, you'll need to bump that MCAT up to a 27-30.

Plus, people really aren't reading that table right. First off, the range for that 81.2% is 24-26 MCAT. Who knows how many of those are 25-26? Its very possible that the majority of people that got in were in that 25-26 range. A better estimate would be to look at the percent of acceptance (50.3%) in the MCAT range right below it (21-23). The real number for a 23/24 applicant is probably somewhere between those percents, so really OP's chances are closer to 65% than 81%.

Also, as others have mentioned there's no way to tell if there are any other extenuating circumstances involved.

Last edited:
is this discussion for real. I have a 24 and I have two DO interviews so far...and I am not a URM

If you just want to get in, apply to HBMCs and schools looking for diversity.

If you want scholarships, retake and get a 28+. You're a black female, and regardless of whether you wish to address that, it is the reason such a thing is possible. Don't disregard it, take advantage of it. That's why it's there.