You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
M-F Jobs???
Started by DanManuel
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Some independents that are either not open on weekends or have someone fill in for them on Saturday.
I think a lot of PHS jobs are also M-F.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think a lot of PHS jobs are also M-F.
Whats PHS?
There are some hospital jobs that I have seen advertised as being M-F 8-5 ish but I don't know how true or false that might be.
im a clinical specialist at kaiser (primary care) my hours are 8:30-5 m-f no weekends. Although sometimes I'll stay past 5..and i may have to work a little on the weekend to complete like p&t monograph or something.
If you're looking for a regular 9-5 job you may want to look into industry. They have pretty good hours and absolutely no weekends.
If you're looking for a regular 9-5 job you may want to look into industry. They have pretty good hours and absolutely no weekends.
Not quite, my friend's an MSL and though she's not in the office on weekends, she still has work to do.
Not quite, my friend's an MSL and though she's not in the office on weekends, she still has work to do.
You make a good point, that there are often projects that must completed that require work to be done at home but you can work at your pace. On the weekends I would rather take some work home than having to go in to work on Sat or Sun but just my opinion.
Whats PHS?
There are some hospital jobs that I have seen advertised as being M-F 8-5 ish but I don't know how true or false that might be.
Public Health Services. Government jobs. ie working for Indian Health Services, Bureau of Prisons, the FDA, VA, etc.
VA and IHS would have weekends too. Don't know about prisons. The FDA - no weekends.Public Health Services. Government jobs. ie working for Indian Health Services, Bureau of Prisons, the FDA, VA, etc.
Other options not mentioned yet:
- CDC
- industry (and no, it's not limited to MSLs)
- insurance (again, many different positions possible)
- administrative (with pharmacy associations or the boards of pharmacy)
Just keep in mind, in many jobs that are billed at banker's hours you are actually going to be staying late quite a bit, and most likely will be salaried and exempt from overtime... it's not like retail/hospital where it is clock in and clock out with few exceptions...
true about the MSL's, there's a wide variety of industry positions out there.
I've battled back and forth as to what I'd prefer...hourly vs. salary. It's nice knowing if I'm staying late I'll get the differential, but a lot of interesting jobs tend to be salaried. In the end, job satisfaction wins IMO.
I've battled back and forth as to what I'd prefer...hourly vs. salary. It's nice knowing if I'm staying late I'll get the differential, but a lot of interesting jobs tend to be salaried. In the end, job satisfaction wins IMO.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
true about the MSL's, there's a wide variety of industry positions out there.
I've battled back and forth as to what I'd prefer...hourly vs. salary. It's nice knowing if I'm staying late I'll get the differential, but a lot of interesting jobs tend to be salaried. In the end, job satisfaction wins IMO.
Well, I agree, but it has never been about money for me... besides, salaried jobs may have a nice annual bonus as a compensation for all those overtime hours put in for free. 😀
And it is also nice to have an office, and be flexible about when I come to work, and when I leave, and work from home when I need to get something else done, and be able to go to the bathroom whenever I want, and have a normal hourlong lunch to do with as I please, and be able to close my door and take a 20-minute nap if I am too tired after lunch. 😀
Last edited:
Well, I agree, but it has never been about money for me... besides, salaried jobs may have a nice annual bonus as a compensation for all those overtime hours put in for free. 😀
And it is also nice to have an office, and be flexible about when I come to work, and when I leave, and work from home when I need to get something else done, and be able to go to the bathroom whenever I want, and have a normal hourlong lunch to do with as I please, and be able to close my door and take a 20-minute nap if I am too tired after lunch. 😀
yeah good point...that bonus was kind of nice. i miss my salaried job =(
and oh, don't get me started on an office. I wasn't high class enough for an office...though I did get a cube somewhat in the corner where i managed my team from. it was like a whole 'nother world. i think that's why i hated retail pharmacy...sitting at a folding lawn table to eat lunch at and sitting on similarly crap chairs. I'd go crazy if that was where I had to work...hella ghetto.
Most of the jobs for pharmacists with the US Government are Monday-Friday. They are usually out patient clinics. Obviously those that work in the hospitals have to work weekends and evenings. This applies to both the VA and the US military installations.Was curious if anyone knows a type of Pharmacists that work M-F schedule, besides academia? Thanks
I work at the VA. We have three mostly separate pharmacy units with different scheduling practices:
Outpatient pharmacists work mostly M-F 8 to 4:30 or 9:30 to 6 p.m. Weekends once every other month or so (at most, unless you volunteer for extra) with weekend hours of 8 to 4.
Clinical pharmacists are M - F from 7:00 to 3 p.m. or 8 to 4:30, depending on clinic schedule. Most don't work evenings or weekends unless they are covering staffing. Some seem to cover staffing more often than others. Not sure how that is decided.
Inpatient pharmacists seem to work 7:00 to 3 p.m. or 8:00 to 4:30 depending on assignment area. Someone comes in to work a late shift (1 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. maybe?) and there is an overnight pharmacist. There is one pharmacist scheduled on weekends (I believe) and those are rotated.
You get paid extra for covering weekends and holidays.
One thing I've noticed about the VA is pharmcist:technician ratio. In the outpatient pharmacy (my primary duty station) there are usually 6 - 8 pharmacists working in various roles and 8 or so techs. I certainly never saw that ratio in retail pharmacy.
Outpatient pharmacists work mostly M-F 8 to 4:30 or 9:30 to 6 p.m. Weekends once every other month or so (at most, unless you volunteer for extra) with weekend hours of 8 to 4.
Clinical pharmacists are M - F from 7:00 to 3 p.m. or 8 to 4:30, depending on clinic schedule. Most don't work evenings or weekends unless they are covering staffing. Some seem to cover staffing more often than others. Not sure how that is decided.
Inpatient pharmacists seem to work 7:00 to 3 p.m. or 8:00 to 4:30 depending on assignment area. Someone comes in to work a late shift (1 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. maybe?) and there is an overnight pharmacist. There is one pharmacist scheduled on weekends (I believe) and those are rotated.
You get paid extra for covering weekends and holidays.
One thing I've noticed about the VA is pharmcist:technician ratio. In the outpatient pharmacy (my primary duty station) there are usually 6 - 8 pharmacists working in various roles and 8 or so techs. I certainly never saw that ratio in retail pharmacy.