M.S in Pharmaceutical Outcome and Policy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bookworm92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am considering enrolling in M.S program from University of Florida (UF) some time in the future for career advancement and opportunities in industry/managed care (specifically the health outcome liaison field and formulary management). The program from UF seems to have received a lot of recognitions from AMCP, and they have some tracks that really interest me. I am particularly interested in the applied pharmacoeconomic and managed care tracks. Both seem to have similar career prospect. I am wondering if anyone here has completed the program or have any thoughts that they can offer regarding which tracks might be more beneficial/flexible for careers in industry and managed care. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Just some background about myself, I graduated in 2018 and completing my fellowship in drug information and academia. I will be fortunately starting a clinical position with one of the healthcare systems contracted with the fellowship. My position will have direct patient care and medication policy/P&T responsibilities.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, the person that I would never recommend as an advisor is now emeritus (and it's not Hepler, while choleric and moody, is a fine and worthy teacher)! It's a good place, though you still have to manage to get in.

Thank you for your reply. I assume you attended the school. If you do not mind me asking, which track did you do, and how do you think the curriculum benefit your current/past position(s)?

Members don't see this ad :)
The program from UF seems to have received a lot of recognitions from AMCP, and they have some tracks that really interest me
I saw them at AMCP Annual in San Diego this year, but technically almost anyone can rent out a booth for the showcase. Is AMCP accrediting graduate programs?

I saw them at AMCP Annual in San Diego this year, but technically almost anyone can rent out a booth for the showcase. Is AMCP accrediting graduate programs?

To my knowledge AMCP does not accredit graduate programs. Memberships with AMCP will however give you a discount for the tuition (50% off the first and last course which come out to be about $2k). Other AMCP members have recommended the program to me. Many of them did the applied pharmacoeconomic tracks, but these are individuals who were already working in managed care settings. Therefore I am wondering if it is more beneficial for me to do one track vs the other.

Nope, I just know everyone there and vice-versa. I went to the unarguably best school in the country for my narrow subject (only Utah and University of Washington had a prayer in those days of matching their better potential, and they only caught up recently), but UF is a fine school for what you intend to do.

Your purpose is too vague for me to give you a track, but Regulatory, Safety, and Managed Care are the three (in order) that UF has the strongest concentrations in. I don't think much of their P'Econ work, and I suspect neither do they with their current faculty mix. I do think that Rutgers, Temple, and Rhode Island have a strong edge on UF for Regulatory Affairs if industry is your goal, but UF is not bad.

I did the applied pharmacoeconomics track. If you do it, I’d recommend doing the MBA program offered in cooperation with another school.

From what I’ve seen, the program isn’t incredibly helpful for getting a job with new employers; the people who got the most value out of the program we’re seeking internal promotions.

I did the applied pharmacoeconomics track. If you do it, I’d recommend doing the MBA program offered in cooperation with another school.

From what I’ve seen, the program isn’t incredibly helpful for getting a job with new employers; the people who got the most value out of the program we’re seeking internal promotions.

I have some experience in this program at UF and would say is a good program but not really that helpful in getting your foot in the door in the real world.