M1 Embryology... details or diseases more important for Step1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HybridEarth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

My school has embryo lectures scattered here and there throughout our anatomy block. I've been able to retain most of the info about various developmental diseases (which is what is tested on during our exams), but many of the tiny details or names of (seemingly insignificant) structures in different steps of development are going right over my head. My guess is that it is not important, so my lecturers don't talk about it (but rather just leave a picture on the powerpoint with a ton of labels). Can someone shed some light on what embryo stuff is actually useful, both as a doctor and for Step1? Should I be worried that I'm not learning all these tiny details and rather focusing *mostly* on the actual diseases/conditions/how they arise?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who is currently studying for Step 1, I can say it is not entirely high-yield to know specifics. However, board-style questions will present diseases that have embryological defects in 3rd order/4th order while including those details. For example, the patient will be described as someone who is young and having recurrent infections. They had a surgery for a cleft lip/palate at birth. The patient's likely condition is derived from what pharyngeal arch? Thats the level you'll need to know for most of the embryo on Step 1/NBME exams. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
The embryo in FA is what you need to know. If you want a good idea go skim through some of it

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If there's one thing I wish I retained from embryo during M1 it's cardio... heart defects are among the most common birth defects so it's tested more often! But FA does a pretty decent job if you pair it with something like the Rx videos!

Hmmmm embryo... neither. Jk, both. Everything on step is a vignette with a follow up question about random minutia. Prepare accordingly.