M1 is Done, Bring on M2! (Ask a Non-Trad [Almost] Anything)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what are the top 5 things you all would suggest to make the transition to med school easier? like stuff to do before starting or in the first couple weeks?
I'll thread-jack and give my answer, and I'm sure @Eccesignum will have her own take.

1. Figure out how to cook/if you're going to meal prep/go-to snacks and meals -- I don't meal prep, but I do make sure I have certain staples always around the house for easy access. It's not like you'll never have time to eat again, but when I give myself a 45 minute break for lunch, I want to actually chill for most of that break and not be trying to figure out what to eat. Also if it is something you enjoy, make a budget for purchasing food out/on campus and stick to it. Once that $$ is gone, it's gone.

2. Define a study space and keep it that way. I got into the bad habit of just kind of settling down in the house wherever was more convenient and comfortable (I have a whole house to choose from, which might not be applicable). For instance, don't create a study space at a table and then instead study on the comfy couch next to it. It was hard to focus when I was sleepy and comfy on the couch. Rookie mistake.

3. Figure out your commute (car, bike, walk, public transit), and find at least 1 alternate route. I drive on a few main roads and if there's an accident or something, I'd be totally screwed if I didn't know a "back roads" way. Also suggest figuring out if you can get your phone to alert you to traffic on your daily commute - I have an Android phone and Google has gotten smart enough to learn my routine and will alert me "It's time to leave now" when there's abnormal traffic.

4. Don't go crazy with buying resources, etc. for now. If you start with anatomy, buy Netter's and just sit tight for a week until you learn what your school offers and what fits with your style. Amazon Prime can always deliver things quickly and I found that 99% of the time, the upperclassmen had a PDF of every text we needed that got into the hands of someone in my class, who passed it around. If you think you might use Firecracker or the BRS texts, or whatever - just wait and see.

5. Get into a routine NOW. Wake up early and get your body in the routine. If you plan to workout, try and do it around the same time you would once classes start (assuming you know a bit about how your school structures things, but usually early morning or late evening is safe).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
what are the top 5 things you all would suggest to make the transition to med school easier? like stuff to do before starting or in the first couple weeks?

I'll thread-jack and give my answer, and I'm sure @Eccesignum will have her own take.

1. Figure out how to cook/if you're going to meal prep/go-to snacks and meals -- I don't meal prep, but I do make sure I have certain staples always around the house for easy access. It's not like you'll never have time to eat again, but when I give myself a 45 minute break for lunch, I want to actually chill for most of that break and not be trying to figure out what to eat. Also if it is something you enjoy, make a budget for purchasing food out/on campus and stick to it. Once that $$ is gone, it's gone.

2. Define a study space and keep it that way. I got into the bad habit of just kind of settling down in the house wherever was more convenient and comfortable (I have a whole house to choose from, which might not be applicable). For instance, don't create a study space at a table and then instead study on the comfy couch next to it. It was hard to focus when I was sleepy and comfy on the couch. Rookie mistake.

3. Figure out your commute (car, bike, walk, public transit), and find at least 1 alternate route. I drive on a few main roads and if there's an accident or something, I'd be totally screwed if I didn't know a "back roads" way. Also suggest figuring out if you can get your phone to alert you to traffic on your daily commute - I have an Android phone and Google has gotten smart enough to learn my routine and will alert me "It's time to leave now" when there's abnormal traffic.

4. Don't go crazy with buying resources, etc. for now. If you start with anatomy, buy Netter's and just sit tight for a week until you learn what your school offers and what fits with your style. Amazon Prime can always deliver things quickly and I found that 99% of the time, the upperclassmen had a PDF of every text we needed that got into the hands of someone in my class, who passed it around. If you think you might use Firecracker or the BRS texts, or whatever - just wait and see.

5. Get into a routine NOW. Wake up early and get your body in the routine. If you plan to workout, try and do it around the same time you would once classes start (assuming you know a bit about how your school structures things, but usually early morning or late evening is safe).

I was actually away for the last week and hadn't been watching the thread, so the thread-jack is appreciated :D I totally agree with everything @backside_attack is suggesting and will toss out a few more:

Expanding on the food budget thing, set up a budget for everything, especially if you're dependent on loans. It's so easy at any point to look at your account, see a few thousand dollars, and go "Oh yeah, I can totally splurge on this and this and oh yeah this"...and then near the end of the semester find yourself panicking because you didn't leave enough for that final month of bills and gas. Some people use Mint, I use YNAB (I find it a much more easily-adjusted system for irregular income situations, and they give a year free for students). Whatever you use, use something. Budget for and track everything you spend, not just food.

Related, take a look at everything you use on subscription and see which, if any, give discounts or are free for students (you'd be surprised). If you have family or friends with Netflix see if they might let you use a sub-account on theirs instead of paying for your own. Cut any subscriptions you honestly don't need, they just suck down money. Pay off any outstanding credit card debt right now that you possibly can.

I'd also add for people who are changing state of residency, make sure you take care of red tape like car registration, driver's license changes, etc. It can involve a lot of driving around and waiting in line. Make sure your bank has a branch near your home or school, and if it doesn't, consider switching to a bank that does.

Take care of little things on campus like figuring out parking (you'd be surprised how panicked this can make the first day). Make sure you know where the nearest grocery, hardware, and drug stores are. Buy a few spare lightbulbs and little household replacement items like that so you don't freak out when something little interrupts your studying.

Take a look at free study aids like Anki and play around with them. They can be very helpful but it's a time-sink to be trying to learn how to use them when you've got 10 lectures backed up waiting for you. You may not use them, but at least if you decide to give it a shot you'll already know how to just jump in.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
@Eccesignum

Edit: I'm currently doing a post-bac to improve my science GPA. Would you recommend taking pharmacology as an upper-level course?

If your school offers pharmacology and you haven't had exposure to it before, sure. An intro to the information is definitely nice to have, as it can get quite dense. You might shoot the professor or your adviser an email and see if they recommend the course for pre-meds, as it may focus on aspects of pharma that aren't as helpful to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Again, thanks so much for this thread!

This is a quick question on workouts, since that topic was brought up a few times before. I do my workouts in the morning and will probably have to modify what I am actually doing as a workout once a start med school, so I just wanted to see what others do! Right now I'm doing some running and lifting on some days, and some HIIT workouts on others. I'm thinking I may want to shorten and intensify them to save time.

This is a quick question on workouts, since that topic was brought up a few times before. I do my workouts in the morning and will probably have to modify what I am actually doing as a workout once a start med school, so I just wanted to see what others do! Right now I'm doing some running and lifting on some days, and some HIIT workouts on others. I'm thinking I may want to shorten and intensify them to save time.
Don't stop working out all together and gain 10 lbs like I did!

(I was super stressed and having trouble adjusting to the pace/rigor and getting rid of workouts was an easy way to find more time. But once I got the anxiety under control and figured out how to study better, I added it back into my routine... once I did that, I think it was one of the reasons why I continued to improve).

Reactions: 1 users

Personally, a few more minutes spent doing what you like (and when it best helps you) should probably be prioritized above pure efficiency. Depending on how my required attendance schedule looks, and the availability of showers/lockers, I'm aiming to run midday. School provides a bit more freedom to do stuff when it's best for you (compared to most jobs), and afternoons are when I slump, and a run does a lot to counteract that. Also, I can run fast or slow (or far/short) depending on energy levels. But I also love running.

Whether you join a cycling class at the university (often cheap), or do a mix of HIIT/running/lifting, or anything else, I would sooner do what you like 3-4 times a week (<1 hr per) compared to doing the most efficient thing 4-5 times a week (25 minutes).

I haven't quite gotten my self-confidence up to gym level yet :oops: I'm not in good shape, and I keep convincing myself that people will point and laugh at the person who can only go 15 minutes on the treadmill without a walk break.

I like being engaged somehow when I exercise, so I tend to use things like Zombies, Run! when I street jog. I'm in a very warm climate area, so in spring and summer I have to go either very early or 1-2 hrs after sundown, which works just fine for me. I'm working on being able to run a 5K so I'm using their structured trainer right now, but I really like their regular story program too.

Also Zumba on the PS3 when the roommate isn't home :D I love dancing so it makes me actually want to do it.

I agree with what @NonTrad16 said -- I definitely find it more manageable to do something I like in 30-45 min sessions 3-4 times a week. Doing shorter bursts more often makes my brain feel like it's more manageable.

1. Did you attend a post-bacc program? If so, did you do a 12 mo or 24 mo program? How was your experience?
2. What made you ultimately choose the MD route over something shorter like PA or NP?

Thanks so much!

1. Did you attend a post-bacc program? If so, did you do a 12 mo or 24 mo program? How was your experience?
2. What made you ultimately choose the MD route over something shorter like PA or NP?

Thanks so much!

I did not do a post-bacc. I was holding an associate's degree at the time I decided to shoot for medical school, so I applied to a state university as a transfer student and completed a bachelor's (I had college credits but they were 15+ years old, very poor GPA, and in a vastly different discipline).

NP was something I did give some thought to, as I was already an RN. I talked to many NPs and MDs alike about their experience and why they'd made the choice they'd made. In the end, the fact that that path was shorter just didn't mean anything to me...I'm going to turn 40 no matter what I do, so I could either do what I wanted or not. I wanted the knowledge and training of an MD, and for me anything else would've just invited regret.

I suspect if my life circumstances had been different it might have influenced my choice, but I chose what was right for me.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! I'm a non-trad in my late thirties, and just finished M1. Some of you posting and lurking here probably know me; I was on this board extensively while figuring out the application process, and if it weren't for SDN I probably wouldn't be here now. 2016 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread 4 Lyfe.

Anyway, I did a mini-AMA over M1 winter break and wanted to offer to do it again, in case anyone has random questions. I'm not an adcom or an official authority on anything, just one person with one experience that I'm happy to share if it helps someone here. Ask away.

Hello this is my first time ever posting so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but I have a few questions and I'm also looking for guidance and advise. I've been an LVN for approx 8 yrs and I've always had the idea of becoming a doctor lurking around in the back of my mind. I started taking prerequisites towards my BSN and have about 7 to 8 months of prerequisites left. Then I have two more yrs to complete the BSN program. As I've started my science classes again I find myself very intrigued and wanting to know how things work at cellular level craving more and more knowledge. Being a nurse isn't good enough for me anymore I want to be a doctor, I want to care for patients on a higher level. I've thought about NP but I don't like their training module and for the type of responsibility that comes with that position I want to have proper training and know that I have the knowledge to treat people accordingly. I know not all NPs are the same but I haven't had the best experience with the ones I've dealt with. Anyway financially I wouldn't have to worry about taking out to much in loans because I have military benefits that would cover most if not all my medical school, my husband is an RN so he makes decent money, and we have my mom here to help us with our daughter (although we do want a second child). I would probably need to take out some loans to help with some finances but nothing crazy. My conflict is I don't know if I should continue on the route I'm taking and just get my BSN then take the lacking prerequisites required for medical school or switch to a premed major. The local school I'm looking into doesn't say they require a Bachelors degree and I just emailed them for clarification. If not then technically I could just take the required courses needed to apply (of course in addition to MCAT) but I don't think it would make me that competitive to other applicants. I was worried about my age being a factor but after reading some of the threads on here I'm not so concerned with it anymore. I'll be 34 this yr and don't want to waist time taking the wrong route or doing more than I really need to. I would like to use my time and benefits productively. I guess I could mention between another program through the military and financial aid I won't have to worry about accumulating debt for my Bachelors degree either.

Last edited:
You should probably repost that on the main nontrad forum as its own post (create a new thread) so more people will see it.
But I would say if you're sure you want to do it, don't let age be a factor. Ten or twenty years from now, will you regret not going for it? Would you be satisfied with a more challenging nursing job and some online classes for more knowledge? Be SURE what you want, and then go for it. Good luck

Hello this is my first time ever posting so I'm not sure if I'm doing this right but I have a few questions and I'm also looking for guidance and advise. I've been an LVN for approx 8 yrs and I've always had the idea of becoming a doctor lurking around in the back of my mind. I started taking prerequisites towards my BSN and have about 7 to 8 months of prerequisites left. Then I have two more yrs to complete the BSN program. As I've started my science classes again I find myself very intrigued and wanting to know how things work at cellular level craving more and more knowledge. Being a nurse isn't good enough for me anymore I want to be a doctor, I want to care for patients on a higher level. I've thought about NP but I don't like their training module and for the type of responsibility that comes with that position I want to have proper training and know that I have the knowledge to treat people accordingly. I know not all NPs are the same but I haven't had the best experience with the ones I've dealt with. Anyway financially I wouldn't have to worry about taking out to much in loans because I have military benefits that would cover most if not all my medical school, my husband is an RN so he makes decent money, and we have my mom here to help us with our daughter (although we do want a second child). I would probably need to take out some loans to help with some finances but nothing crazy. My conflict is I don't know if I should continue on the route I'm taking and just get my BSN then take the lacking prerequisites required for medical school or switch to a premed major. The local school I'm looking into doesn't say they require a Bachelors degree and I just emailed them for clarification. If not then technically I could just take the required courses needed to apply (of course in addition to MCAT) but I don't think it would make me that competitive to other applicants. I was worried about my age being a factor but after reading some of the threads on here I'm not so concerned with it anymore. I'll be 34 this yr and don't want to waist time taking the wrong route or doing more than I really need to. I would like to use my time and benefits productively. I guess I could mention between another program through the military and financial aid I won't have to worry about accumulating debt for my Bachelors degree either.

One of the women who has been extremely supportive of me told me that many people questioned her decision to go to law school in her 40s. Her response is, "I could be 45 and regret not going or I could be 45 and be a lawyer, but either way I will be 45." I'm 36 and I know a few others who are over 35. I do think age starts to be a bigger factor after 39, but nearly every school I've looked into has at least one person older than 35 in the entering class. I would seriously consider it right now and then take the pre-reqs if you need them. I looked into the military options. I'm not sure about HPSP, but you must be 36 at the time of matriculation (June 30) to attend USUHS. I originally wanted to do that (at the age of 34), so I really pushed hard to get all my classes done. That may be the only issue with age, and I've heard they can be relatively generous with age waivers. Definitely start a new thread in the non-trad forum for more responses.

One thing to keep in mind is that applying to med school is a crap shoot and you will likely need to apply to more than one school. Most med schools will require a bachelors degree, so you should probably plan to finish that out regardless. If you can do the BSN, I'd recommend that over anything "pre-med." That will give you some excellent options for work if you don't get in during one cycle and become a reapplicant. You can apply during your last year of the degree for any school, so that may save you some time.

Members don't see this ad :)
One of the women who has been extremely supportive of me told me that many people questioned her decision to go to law school in her 40s. Her response is, "I could be 45 and regret not going or I could be 45 and be a lawyer, but either way I will be 45." I'm 36 and I know a few others who are over 35. I do think age starts to be a bigger factor after 39, but nearly every school I've looked into has at least one person older than 35 in the entering class. I would seriously consider it right now and then take the pre-reqs if you need them. I looked into the military options. I'm not sure about HPSP, but you must be 36 at the time of matriculation (June 30) to attend USUHS. I originally wanted to do that (at the age of 34), so I really pushed hard to get all my classes done. That may be the only issue with age, and I've heard they can be relatively generous with age waivers. Definitely start a new thread in the non-trad forum for more responses.

One thing to keep in mind is that applying to med school is a crap shoot and you will likely need to apply to more than one school. Most med schools will require a bachelors degree, so you should probably plan to finish that out regardless. If you can do the BSN, I'd recommend that over anything "pre-med." That will give you some excellent options for work if you don't get in during one cycle and become a reapplicant. You can apply during your last year of the degree for any school, so that may save you some time.

Thanks! That's one of the reasons I kind of want to continue down this path just because I could make a decent living as a RN while waiting to get into Medical school. I posted in the main nontrad forum not sure how much time it takes to get traffic but so far I've received one response which is opposite of yours lol! So, so far I have one yes stay the course and one go a different route lol!

The activities section is where non-trads can really shine. People tend to fill these out like it's a resume -- they list a bunch of job duties and that's it. Treat your ECs as a section just as valuable as the PS, as a place to weave parts of your story together into a cohesive story of you.

For mine, I spent 1-2 sentences on the duties aspect, then spent the rest talking about what I learned from it (especially in context of how it will make me a better physician). This doesn't have to be heavy-handed. It's a matter of stopping to think about what kind of qualities you have that you want to showcase as valuable, and using your ECs to tell a story of how you became you.

If you'd like to see examples of mine, PM me.

I'm a few years from applying (don't even have the equivalent of an associate's yet, lol), but I was a little curious as to whether you think an adcom would take to previous work experiences I had as a paralegal that may exemplify personality traits. I don't know how medically related these experiences need to be or if they should come directly from schooling years, etc.

I'm a few years from applying (don't even have the equivalent of an associate's yet, lol), but I was a little curious as to whether you think an adcom would take to previous work experiences I had as a paralegal that may exemplify personality traits. I don't know how medically related these experiences need to be or if they should come directly from schooling years, etc.

Hey there! Sorry for the reply lag; I'm in the thick of M2 now and it's quite intense.

It's all in how you write it. Your experiences don't need to be medically related (apart from the shadowing and some clinical volunteering), but you do need to showcase traits you've gained or experiences you've had that will make you a good physician down the road. Teamwork, conflict resolution, dealing with people outside your comfort zone, compassion, creativity, leadership, courage, drive, tenacity, personal growth, all these are things they're looking for in applicants (especially non-trads, who have had more time to develop these kinds of things). And you can have experienced all these doing any kind of work. It's just up to you to tell them how.

If you'd like to see how I wrote my ECs (I had a variety of work and other experiences, most of which weren't medical), shoot me a PM.

Hey there! Sorry for the reply lag; I'm in the thick of M2 now and it's quite intense.

It's all in how you write it. Your experiences don't need to be medically related (apart from the shadowing and some clinical volunteering), but you do need to showcase traits you've gained or experiences you've had that will make you a good physician down the road. Teamwork, conflict resolution, dealing with people outside your comfort zone, compassion, creativity, leadership, courage, drive, tenacity, personal growth, all these are things they're looking for in applicants (especially non-trads, who have had more time to develop these kinds of things). And you can have experienced all these doing any kind of work. It's just up to you to tell them how.

If you'd like to see how I wrote my ECs (I had a variety of work and other experiences, most of which weren't medical), shoot me a PM.

I'm interested in how you wrote your ECs aswell if you don't mind sending to me aswell! I'm a visual person so this would be great for me.

First off, thanks for offering yourself up like this. I hope one day to be able to do the same!

How long was your nontraditional route, from the first postbacc class to matriculation?

How many weekday hours do you put in for school + study vs. weekend hours? (excluding exams, we all know how that goes)

What's the most painful sacrifice you've had to make so far in pursuing medical school?

What is your biggest regret on the journey?

What do you do to stay sane?

Do you wish you took more preparative coursework, like anatomy, physiology, etc?

What would you do differently during the application process if you could go back in time?

Is the studying as difficult as you anticipated?

How much money would you estimate you threw at your final application cycle? Applications + travel to interviews + acceptance deposits.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
First off, thanks for offering yourself up like this. I hope one day to be able to do the same!

How long was your nontraditional route, from the first postbacc class to matriculation?

How many weekday hours do you put in for school + study vs. weekend hours? (excluding exams, we all know how that goes)

What's the most painful sacrifice you've had to make so far in pursuing medical school?

Do you wish you took more preparative coursework, like anatomy, physiology, etc?

What would you do differently during the application process if you could go back in time?

How much money would you estimate you threw at your final application cycle? Applications + travel to interviews + acceptance deposits.

Thanks again!

Sorry about the lag in response, we'd had a final coming up and then Irmageddon happened. Craziness calming back down now.

I wasn't technically a post-bacc. I had dropped out of college way back in 2002 and later got an associate's degree in nursing. When I decided to shoot for medical school, I needed a bachelor's. The university I went to accepted me as a transfer student due to the associate's, but as I was working two jobs I could only go part-time most semesters. From the start of Undergrad Round Two to matriculation was four years, 2012-2016.

Depends on the module and how difficult it is. I've had some modules where I had my weekends basically free and some where I had to cut into weekend hours to make sure I was on top of things. I tend to go to lecture, so I spend anywhere from 2-4 hours in class, then a couple hours at home doing my reviews, making Anki cards, etc. We have mandatory activities that also vary by module, and take up varied amounts of time. I'd just say to anyone to be prepared to devote as many hours in a week as you would a full-time job (even slightly more in some weeks), since that's basically what this is. If I need to study on a weekend I usually block off 8a-12p and after that I do normal things. Weekends are normally just a glance at the week's material and keeping up on my Anki cards (or whatever I'm using that block). Since I'd been to lecture I'm almost never racing to catch up on those on weekends.

I had two jobs before, making very good money (for a single person in a super low COL area). Never had to worry about income, barely bothered looking at a budget. Suddenly having to survive at a third of that income in a much higher COL city, it hurts. I can't be even half as liberal as I used to be about eating out, replacing items, grocery shopping, going on vacations, anything at all. It sounds like a small thing, but when you're an adult and used to being financially independent it's tough suddenly finding yourself at the mercy of loans, and living on far less than you used to.

I have none. Being honest here. This was the point in my life where I was ready to do this, and I did it as well as I possibly could. That's all I can ask of myself.

I have a strict cutoff at night after which I don't study. The 1-2 hours before bed are my time, whether I want to play video games or read or whatever. I get 8 hours of sleep.I like photography, I like writing, I've kept up with both. Medical school is certainly stressful, but it's not this vortex of insanity that people say it is, at least not in my personal situation. If you're disciplined you'll have plenty of time to do other things.

Nope. Taking classes like genetics, immunology etc are never a bad thing, it'll introduce you to the material (especially nice if you've never been exposed to it before). I did a biology degree and had done nursing before that, so I had quite a few "prep" classes folded into my coursework, and it was nice, but they didn't scratch the depth to which medical school will cover the topics. Take them if you can, don't stress if you can't.

Chilled the eff out more.

It's very manageable. Again, it takes discipline. If you stay on top of things you don't get overwhelmed. If you get to two days before a test and still have ten lectures to watch, it will feel impossible.

Probably...between 3 and 4k. That doesn't include then moving costs to get to my school city, apartment deposits, furnishing, school fees, etc. I applied to a ton of schools though; costs will vary depending on how many apps you send out, how many interviews you go to, etc.

Sorry about the lag in response, we'd had a final coming up and then Irmageddon happened. Craziness calming back down now.

I wasn't technically a post-bacc. I had dropped out of college way back in 2002 and later got an associate's degree in nursing. When I decided to shoot for medical school, I needed a bachelor's. The university I went to accepted me as a transfer student due to the associate's, but as I was working two jobs I could only go part-time most semesters. From the start of Undergrad Round Two to matriculation was four years, 2012-2016.

Depends on the module and how difficult it is. I've had some modules where I had my weekends basically free and some where I had to cut into weekend hours to make sure I was on top of things. I tend to go to lecture, so I spend anywhere from 2-4 hours in class, then a couple hours at home doing my reviews, making Anki cards, etc. We have mandatory activities that also vary by module, and take up varied amounts of time. I'd just say to anyone to be prepared to devote as many hours in a week as you would a full-time job (even slightly more in some weeks), since that's basically what this is. If I need to study on a weekend I usually block off 8a-12p and after that I do normal things. Weekends are normally just a glance at the week's material and keeping up on my Anki cards (or whatever I'm using that block). Since I'd been to lecture I'm almost never racing to catch up on those on weekends.

I had two jobs before, making very good money (for a single person in a super low COL area). Never had to worry about income, barely bothered looking at a budget. Suddenly having to survive at a third of that income in a much higher COL city, it hurts. I can't be even half as liberal as I used to be about eating out, replacing items, grocery shopping, going on vacations, anything at all. It sounds like a small thing, but when you're an adult and used to being financially independent it's tough suddenly finding yourself at the mercy of loans, and living on far less than you used to.

I have none. Being honest here. This was the point in my life where I was ready to do this, and I did it as well as I possibly could. That's all I can ask of myself.

I have a strict cutoff at night after which I don't study. The 1-2 hours before bed are my time, whether I want to play video games or read or whatever. I get 8 hours of sleep.I like photography, I like writing, I've kept up with both. Medical school is certainly stressful, but it's not this vortex of insanity that people say it is, at least not in my personal situation. If you're disciplined you'll have plenty of time to do other things.

Nope. Taking classes like genetics, immunology etc are never a bad thing, it'll introduce you to the material (especially nice if you've never been exposed to it before). I did a biology degree and had done nursing before that, so I had quite a few "prep" classes folded into my coursework, and it was nice, but they didn't scratch the depth to which medical school will cover the topics. Take them if you can, don't stress if you can't.

Chilled the eff out more.

It's very manageable. Again, it takes discipline. If you stay on top of things you don't get overwhelmed. If you get to two days before a test and still have ten lectures to watch, it will feel impossible.

Probably...between 3 and 4k. That doesn't include then moving costs to get to my school city, apartment deposits, furnishing, school fees, etc. I applied to a ton of schools though; costs will vary depending on how many apps you send out, how many interviews you go to, etc.
Thanks for the detailed response!

How did any of you deal with your timeline for having children? (I'm a non-trad post-bac and wondering if I'll have to give up my dream of having children to fulfill my dream of becoming a surgeon.)

Also, did any of you look into whether your schools would "replace" a poor (prior) ugpa by focusing on, say, the last 12-20 credits in a post-bacc?

How did any of you deal with your timeline for having children? (I'm a non-trad post-bac and wondering if I'll have to give up my dream of having children to fulfill my dream of becoming a surgeon.)

Also, did any of you look into whether your schools would "replace" a poor (prior) ugpa by focusing on, say, the last 12-20 credits in a post-bacc?

I have a lot of friends who have had children both during and after medical school - it's definitely a challenge, but it can be done. I've heard becoming pregnant during M3 and having children during M4 is doable, but timing is not always under our control.

I don't think any schools "replace" poor prior GPAs, but I have a 2.2 freshman year, which resulted in a cGPA (with 4.0 post-bacc) < 3.5. I've only gone to two interviews so rar, but interviewers at both schools discussed my "excellent academic record" (which, honestly, was less than stellar compared to the many amazing people on SDN). There will certainly be schools that will care only about the cGPA and will not give you credit for doing significantly better at your post-bacc. Then there are schools that will give you a more holistic review. Your MCAT score will make a difference as well.

I have a lot of friends who have had children both during and after medical school - it's definitely a challenge, but it can be done. I've heard becoming pregnant during M3 and having children during M4 is doable, but timing is not always under our control.

I don't think any schools "replace" poor prior GPAs, but I have a 2.2 freshman year, which resulted in a cGPA (with 4.0 post-bacc) < 3.5. I've only gone to two interviews so rar, but interviewers at both schools discussed my "excellent academic record" (which, honestly, was less than stellar compared to the many amazing people on SDN). There will certainly be schools that will care only about the cGPA and will not give you credit for doing significantly better at your post-bacc. Then there are schools that will give you a more holistic review. Your MCAT score will make a difference as well.

This is especially encouraging for me. (I'm from Florida.) I've been concerned because I had an abysmal ugpa. (<3.0) (In addition to being a first generation student, I also experienced a traumatic event during undergrad.) However, I have gone on to achieve a 4.0 in a (non-science) grad school and (so far) a 4.0 in my post-bac.

This is especially encouraging for me. (I'm from Florida.) I've been concerned because I had an abysmal ugpa. (<3.0) (In addition to being a first generation student, I also experienced a traumatic event during undergrad.) However, I have gone on to achieve a 4.0 in a (non-science) grad school and (so far) a 4.0 in my post-bac.

I've only interviewed at two schools, but both were Florida schools!

Hey everyone! I'm a non-trad in my late thirties, and just finished M1. Some of you posting and lurking here probably know me; I was on this board extensively while figuring out the application process, and if it weren't for SDN I probably wouldn't be here now. 2016 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread 4 Lyfe.

Anyway, I did a mini-AMA over M1 winter break and wanted to offer to do it again, in case anyone has random questions. I'm not an adcom or an official authority on anything, just one person with one experience that I'm happy to share if it helps someone here. Ask away.

Ecce

So nice you're on that path! I'm 33 and in my first year. I feel pretty good except for one thing...
When I was in my 20s everyone that was older, 30s and 40s, had told me that your 30s are the best years of your life. I didn't believe it but from 30-33, they really were the best years I had had. Now in school, even though I really enjoy it a lot, the other day, I kinda felt like I was "throwing away" my 30s being in school, no job, and not being really settled (gf of 4 years and we do NOT want kids) so when I mean settled, I mean being career, where you live, etc.
Any thoughts? Would you have gone to med school if you were my age or would you rather do it now that you are close to 40 or in back your 20s?

Thanks!

I'm new to the forum and a current first time applicant to medical school. I'm curious if someone could opine on how admissions might view my application.

40 yo, married with 3 kids. I've been a PA for 12 years working in emergency medicine. Decided to return to medical school 5 years ago, but struggled with infertility. Now we are done with IVF, my current interest include further study in critical care medicine and MPH to develop community specific programs.

My stats:
Undergraduate sgpa 3.2 (completed in 2.5 years, 14 years ago)
Graduate sgpa 3.6 (PA school, 12 years ago)
90%ile board scores (recertified twice since)
MCAT 503, 2017 (should have taken more than 1 practice exam)

My husband is a physician who recently went back to school to complete fellowship training (he was 20 years out of med school).

Curious if my course work is too old or not good enough. I never thought that would be a question because it wasn't for him going back to school. My personal study is reviewing biochem, cell biology, immunology, microbiology, and genetics for the next 6 months to prepare for the 1st year. Whats the likelihood I'll have to do a post bac year? Is my MCAT too low for someone 14 yrs out?

I'm new to the forum and a current first time applicant to medical school. I'm curious if someone could opine on how admissions might view my application.

40 yo, married with 3 kids. I've been a PA for 12 years working in emergency medicine. Decided to return to medical school 5 years ago, but struggled with infertility. Now we are done with IVF, my current interest include further study in critical care medicine and MPH to develop community specific programs.

My stats:
Undergraduate sgpa 3.2 (completed in 2.5 years, 14 years ago)
Graduate sgpa 3.6 (PA school, 12 years ago)
90%ile board scores (recertified twice since)
MCAT 503, 2017 (should have taken more than 1 practice exam)

My husband is a physician who recently went back to school to complete fellowship training (he was 20 years out of med school).

Curious if my course work is too old or not good enough. I never thought that would be a question because it wasn't for him going back to school. My personal study is reviewing biochem, cell biology, immunology, microbiology, and genetics for the next 6 months to prepare for the 1st year. Whats the likelihood I'll have to do a post bac year? Is my MCAT too low for someone 14 yrs out?

Hey,
i don't know what is the best thing to do in my situation so please let me know what you think. I made this timeline so hopefully its easier to follow
1. did two years of undergrad
2. got accepted to pharmacy school at a young age, wasn't prepared
3. dismissed from pharmacy school due to poor academics
4. went back to finish undergrad (undergrad gpa 3.18)
5. got inot science MS program finished it and earned 3.75 gpa.
6. being in the ms program decided to pursue medicine
7. have been studying for the mcat but will take it in June 16th, practice exams are still not so great.
8. brief of experience: worked in pharmacy 3 years, 2 service trips, chem lab ta, volunteer experience, shadowed physicians
I am not sure if i should apply or wait another year. what are my chances to get into med school? should i wait for mcat school (released in July 16th) or submit the application before then.
help much appreciated
thanks

Hey,
i don't know what is the best thing to do in my situation so please let me know what you think. I made this timeline so hopefully its easier to follow
1. did two years of undergrad
2. got accepted to pharmacy school at a young age, wasn't prepared
3. dismissed from pharmacy school due to poor academics
4. went back to finish undergrad (undergrad gpa 3.18)
5. got inot science MS program finished it and earned 3.75 gpa.
6. being in the ms program decided to pursue medicine
7. have been studying for the mcat but will take it in June 16th, practice exams are still not so great.
8. brief of experience: worked in pharmacy 3 years, 2 service trips, chem lab ta, volunteer experience, shadowed physicians
I am not sure if i should apply or wait another year. what are my chances to get into med school? should i wait for mcat school (released in July 16th) or submit the application before then.
help much appreciated
thanks
I waited to submit my app with my mcat score. I think GPA and MCAT are big screening tools to get foot in door. Have rest of app ready, so you can just push submit once AAMC post your score.

Also, make sure to apply to DO schools if score less than 510.

I waited to submit my app with my mcat score. I think GPA and MCAT are big screening tools to get foot in door. Have rest of app ready, so you can just push submit once AAMC post your score.

Also, make sure to apply to DO schools if score less than 510.
Meaning include DO schools in your app cycle, which is another separate application. Keep your personal statement less than 4500 words so you can use it for both