M1 non-trad and mom. AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itisnottoolate

M2
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am a current M1 and mom. I will be happy to try and answer any questions since cycle is in full swing. FYI, I love what I am doing! Totally worth the challenges!

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
How old is your child? I'm starting in 2021 and I have a 3 year old, with another baby coming in March. How are you juggling child care and school responsibilities?

Members don't see this ad :)
How old is your child? I'm starting in 2021 and I have a 3 year old, with another baby coming in March. How are you juggling child care and school responsibilities?
My youngest is 2 and then I have a 12 and 18 year old. Honestly, it has not been too bad. The week before and the week of exam week is the toughest but doable. I am not number one in my class but not at the bottom either. I am probably in the middle. If you want to be a top student then it will take even more time and you will have less time for your children. I put my youngest in preschool four hours a day and that has helped a lot. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
What was your path into medical school like? This will be a second career for me and my spouse and I are expecting our first.

What was your path into medical school like? This will be a second career for me and my spouse and I are expecting our first.
I am actually a career changer as well. Previous career in the medical field and am in my mid 30s. I definitely did not take the traditional path. I don’t have regrets because I was able to do a lot of the things that have to get postponed first! I know it is not the traditional path but it has worked for me.

Thank you for doing this! How did you pay for your prerequisites? Does having prior student loan debt affect your qualification for loans now? What was the tipping point that transformed your journey from just a thought, to taking action to do this? Did you experience any age discrimination thus far?

I am in the medical field as well. I have finally began to turn my pre-med process from thoughts to action as a student. It has been a setback due to COVID. But I will push through.. One problem that I have a problem justifying is life moving on without me or not being able to be there for life events for my family, such as say if your 18 year old has a child in the next 5-6 years. You may not be able to be there for them as you may have wanted to secondary to school or residency. Or aging parents and not being able to give 100% to care for them, or drop and be readily available to them in their time of need. How do you justify these thoughts?

Thank you for doing this! How did you pay for your prerequisites? Does having prior student loan debt affect your qualification for loans now? What was the tipping point that transformed your journey from just a thought, to taking action to do this? Did you experience any age discrimination thus far?

I am in the medical field as well. I have finally began to turn my pre-med process from thoughts to action as a student. It has been a setback due to COVID. But I will push through.. One problem that I have a problem justifying is life moving on without me or not being able to be there for life events for my family, such as say if your 18 year old has a child in the next 5-6 years. You may not be able to be there for them as you may have wanted to secondary to school or residency. Or aging parents and not being able to give 100% to care for them, or drop and be readily available to them in their time of need. How do you justify these thoughts?
These are all great questions!

I took many prerequisites at a CC and just paid outright for them. It was much cheaper than a four year university.
I am not sure if prior debt will affect loans now. I actually paid my undergraduate and graduate loans off before applying to Med school.

The biggest deciding factor that prompted me to pursue this was the unwavering support of my husband. I had thought about this several years prior but did not mention it because I thought he would not be happy. He told me to GO FOR IT! That was all I needed. My family has been so supportive as well. I know many people say why are you doing this at my age but you have to do what makes you happy.
I have not experienced any age discrimination so far. If anything, everybody is super nice and helpful. I think be older helps me stand out more. I feel like most classmates do know me because I am the “old” one.

I had thoughts and guilt about missing out on family events. The way I look at is that I am going to get older so I may as well get older doing something I love. My children are going to grow up, move out, and live their own lives so I still have to live mine. My parents are going to get older and one day not be here but I still will be. With that said, my family is the most important and comes before school. I have yet to miss a single event in my kid’s life because of school. Granted this is only my first year. I try to make every break and every extra time with them count. I honestly so far have not sacrificed much time with them except for maybe test week. I just say this is my job and I work overtime during test week. If I wanted to be a top student then it would take more sacrifice but I am happy being in the middle.

it’s been a couple years. How is it going with the kids and all?
Hey! It is going great! I am almost finished with my first year. It has definitely been trying at times but well worth it.
The kids are doing fine with me in school. My son will say mom “you have a test and you need to study. “ my little girl will cuddle up with me while I am studying. I really only have to study so much on exam weeks. I can usually get most of my studying done while the kids are in school and preschool. Of course, exam weeks are brutal and I study late. Seems like I have been a little slack towards this last module but I think that is common. We had our last exam yesterday and it seems weird to not have to study today. I am so thankful the year will be over in a couple months.
I plan to have a pretty relaxed summer. A lot of students do research but it is not really my thing. I am going to take a virtual substance abuse course that will be interesting. We can become certified addiction coaches. I am also going to work some to make money!

thanks for asking!

Reactions: 2 users
Great to see this thread is active again! If you could give mothers starting M1 a single piece of advice (or two) what would it be? I'll be starting with a 14 month old.

Hello! Great question. I am trying to give good advice because everyone is so different. I would have to say 1) you are a mother and to me that ALWAYS comes first but with that being said there will be sacrifices. 2) do not be too hard on yourself if you are not the top of your class. Our official rank has not come out yet but I believe I am somewhere in the middle. I am totally okay with this because I have a family and many other task to juggle. 3) with all that being said, WORK HARD. It is tough but doable. When it is time to study put down the phone and the kids and study. If you truly study smart and find out your best study method because everyone is different, you can have a good home life/school balance. I like to put the books away at 5 and have uninterrupted evening family time. When the kids are asleep it is okay to pull the books out again. If you don’t give yourself adequate time for your kids and significant other then you will burn out. This method is not true during exam week. Have a babysitter set up during exam week so you can literally focus on studying all day. I think of school as a full time job. I work 8-5 but during exam week I pick up lots of overtime if you want to call it that. At my school we have about a week of study time with no new material so we can just study. You have to keep up with the material as you go but this week is where I really understand the content.
I know this is more than you asked for but there is really so much advice to give. I would say those are my top three.
Also, if you or your family ever question why you are going to school and not constantly mothering your child this was my mindset. You love your child but eventually they are going to start a new life without you and you still have your life to live. Just because you have children does not mean you can’t go for your dream. They will look up to you. My soon to be teenage son looks up to me and I know he is so proud of me. He will even tell me, mom break is over. Go study. I hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions! The anticipation of the unknown is scary.

That’s awesome ! I have a baby juggling M3 year rotations and it’s going well. It’s definitely possible to have kids in Med school (though not easy). Keep it up.

That’s awesome ! I have a baby juggling M3 year rotations and it’s going well. It’s definitely possible to have kids in Med school (though not easy). Keep it up.
I am worried about when rotations start! Thanks for your input. I feel like I have a good system right now but when rotations start I think I will have to do a lot more juggling with the kids.

1) you are a mother and to me that ALWAYS comes first but with that being said there will be sacrifices.
As an M4 father I can tell you that this will not be possible in your clinical years. While there are many options for juggling priorities in your pre-clinical years (especially if lecture attendance isn't mandatory), you will have obligations in M3/M4 that require you to be at the hospital longer than you anticipated.

As an M4 father I can tell you that this will not be possible in your clinical years. While there are many options for juggling priorities in your pre-clinical years (especially if lecture attendance isn't mandatory), you will have obligations in M3/M4 that require you to be at the hospital longer than you anticipated.
Thanks for the input. I was gearing my post more toward the preclinical years. My children will still always be my number 1 but I know I will have to make more sacrifices when clinical years begin. Just because I can’t make a game or school activity does not mean they are my second. I know the heavy obligations of clinical years and hopefully my family will adjust well. Thanks again for the input!

Thanks for the input. I was gearing my post more toward the preclinical years. My children will still always be my number 1 but I know I will have to make more sacrifices when clinical years begin. Just because I can’t make a game or school activity does not mean they are my second. I know the heavy obligations of clinical years and hopefully my family will adjust well. Thanks again for the input!
I agree that on clinical rotations kids take the backseat to rotations. It’s a new ball game and you have to get to an intern level within a year and a half. It sounds bad but it’s true. That doesn’t mean that my daughter isn’t well cared for- that is when your village comes into play. It also doesn’t mean that I don’t feel balanced . I love patient care and the knowledge I’m acquiring so it feels right to me but everyone is different.

Reactions: 1 users