M1 year seeking plan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

skoaner

Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
'

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Looks good

I'm not sure the volunteering would help too much. But if you have time, it's certainly something nice to do and could be refreshing.

Also, I'm not sure if it is possible to publish a paper after only a summer's worth of research. But you may have some time during your 3rd year (we have a research block built in) to pursue further research opportunities and hopefully get published.

Otherwise, everything looks good! (And it's pretty much the same for every competitive specialty: high board scores, good clinical grades, great recommendations, and a couple of rotations in the specialty of your choice to show interest)

I know nothing, but I doubt the volunteering will help you much in the selection process. More power to you if you truly enjoy doing it for altruistic purposes, but I wouldn't expect neurosurgeons to give much attention/weight to this, compared to neurosurgical research. Could be wrong though. G'luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
'

Last edited:
skoaner said:
Is there any theory behind externships? What time of year should I aim to do them and where (relative to where I'd like to go)? Also, for soliciting letters of recommendation who is best to pump?

-J
If you're pretty set on NSG then I'd start attending the weekly neuro conferences if your med school has a NSG program. Introduce yourself to the attendings and residents and let them know you're a junior medical student interested in NSG; just don't be annoying. The more you show your face around the attendings, the more they'll get to know you and write better letters come 4th year and feel comfortable ranking you highly in their own program.
Concerning externships, most do a rotation at their own institution around July and two externships in August and September (this can vary significantly from none to 3-4 externships). If there is a place you are particularly interested in, I would rotate there last as you will know much more from previous months and will also be fresher in mind for interviews and when they make out their rank list.
For LOR's, most will agree a letter from your school's chairman is essential and if absent will raise concerns. A letter from another neurosurgeon at your home program that knows you well is also an asset. Also, most expect a LOR from an externship and this is pretty routine getting a letter after spending a month somewhere. Finally, if you know a physician from a different rotation well who will write you a really strong letter that can carry some weight.

Yup...I'd recommend doing one rotation at home and then one away rotation at a place you really want to interview.

You should talk to your dean if you want do to anymore than that. I've heard some people say that it looks weird if someone does multiple away rotations in one subject (almost looks like they've closed their mind out to any other field) but at the same time, others might really appreciate the dedication.

'

Last edited:
An MD/PhD would definitely help but don't do it just because you want to match into neurosurgery. If you really feel that you would get a lot of our of a PhD then go for it, but likely not worth it just to match. The vast majority of neurosurgery residents (~90%) do not have a PhD.

So with respect to first and second year classes, it's okay to not have straight As??? I know of course that you want to try and do as well as possible...but if we do well in 3d year, pubs, etc. (I'm much like the OP) then we should have a shot???

Thanks.