High School Future Planning Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Patrick121916

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Please forgive me if I have posted in the wrong section as there are so many I want sure where would be suitable.

I am a high school student in Australia and will be competing in the Australian Brain Bee Challenge National Finals. I want to get an idea early so I can prepare or stop having crazy dreams.

I have been enjoying neuroscience so far, specifically the diseases and systems. Please excuse me but I am only young and have a want for a high paying job.

I value my sport and like to have spare time but understand that I will not be able to play while I am at uni.

I am not interested in research science as I want to achieve something in the short term and when I visited the research centre I found the job rather boring.

My mum is a nurse in ICU and says neurosurgeons are horrible people and doesn't want me to be one as well but I want to make a difference.

I have read through the thread which looks at the lifestyle of a neurosurgeon which scared me but that was back in 2003-2007 and was mostly based around America.

I have a few questions which I am hoping you can answer preferably relevant to Australian conditions.
Do neurosurgeons get holidays? Are the work hours really that long (6am-10pm)? Do the hours ever decrease? What is the pay like when you first leave uni? Would you recomend a different job/field? Will I turn out a grumpy person when I become a neurosurgeon? Has neurosurgery changed since 2003/different in Australia?

Thanks a lot for your help. I am really stuck.