M3 and away LORs?

Started by Daitong
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Daitong

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I'm currently a M3 and I just finished up 1 month of ortho (it counts as 1/2 of our 2 month surgery core clerkship rotation). I spent the month with 2 weeks per attending for 2 separate attendings total.

I was wondering if it would be appropriate to ask one of them for a LOR even though I only worked with them for 2 weeks? I was hoping to spin it so that I was asking it for an away rotation, and perhaps if I work with him again at our home institution ortho rotation, I could re-ask him and expedite the process.

Best,
 
Not a horrible idea. Asking for a letter for an away is sometimes necessary. If you really want their best advocacy, ask to get involved in research with them and show up to morning conferences even when you’re on other rotations just to show how dedicated you are.