M3 Rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

valkener

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find a good place to do an EM elective during 3rd year. Many places do not accept M3's, but only M4's (the majority, it seems). Any recommendations?

NJ/OH/PA or surrounding area would be great. Also, I'm a DO student so a place that matches a good amount of DO's is a must.

Thank you and Happy Holidays!

Members don't see this ad.

I ran into similar problems. Had a really difficult time finding an EM program that took M3's. Then it was even harder trying to find one of those that still had openings for feb. If you're lucky maybe your elective will be at the end of the year so you will have done all your M3 "core rotations" and be eligible to rotate at a program that takes M4's

I ended up having to do my elective in something else. Earliest I get to try out EM is next august, just in time to be late applying if I switch my mind.:thumbup:

(yes, that was a heavy dose of sarcasm)

Let me preface this by saying that I realize this won't answer your question.

EM makes more sense as a 4th year rotation. I don't think I would have had the same experience had I done it during 3rd year - I didn't know enough medicine, psych, OB, etc or any basic technical things like how to suture - mind you, I'm not saying I know a lot, but having a little knowledge makes an rotation a lot more fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go on the AOA opportunities and look under the "institution information" tab. It will tell you whether the program allows 3rd years to rotate or not. I would recommend that you choose a program that isn't going to be your no.1 choice, since you will probably not be a rockstar yet...

Also, I agree and disagree with the poster above. Yes, you won't know enough to be ready for EM as a 3rd year. But, when will you ever know enough? As a 4th year, I still don't feel like I know enough. As long as you are solid at getting an H&P in an efficient manner (<10 minutes) and study your emergent diagnoses, you will be fine. Attendings are usually happy to teach any student if you show that you want to learn.

Honestly, I felt like I didn't know anything going into EM midway through my 3rd year. Unfortunately, none of my procedure-heavy rotations (OBGYN, surgery) allowed students to do anything. So guess what, the ER is where I learned how to suture, do I&D's, pelvics, intubate, start IV's, etc... So it was a great experience for me and I'm glad I did it. When it came time for my required 4th year EM's and my audition, I was able to shine since I understood the general flow of emergency medicine and what is expected of me.

This is just my own opinion based on experience. Hope it helps

Last edited:
St. Barnabas in the Bronx lets you do EM as a 3rd year. Good if you want to try and figure out if EM is for you. Crappy rotation from a student standpoint though. Ridiculous amount of students working at the same time, and even if you were the only one theres too many residents around for you to get to do anything.

that's a big if. I'd say end of third year beginning of m4 is fine, but probably not sooner for it to be useful (and for you to not get in the way)

It's during the 2nd half of my 3rd year so I will have done IM and obgyn and maybe something else. So I won't be a complete ****head and I have strong people skills :). Thanks for the advice I certainly will not rotate at my current nr 1 choice.

Conemaugh (DO) in Western PA allows ms3's.

I crammed a brief 2w rotation over xmas break. I mostly followed the residents around when they saw patients, but I was able to do quick hx/exam/dx/tx. I had done surg, trauma, im, cardio, and pulm prior.

I would highly recommend doing one if you can - I saw alot of the pathologies that I was just learning about and it was a chance to see if I liked it and could do it. It helped me tremendously on boards to remember patients with the emergent diseases. I also started thinking about my PS and my goals in pursuing EM.

I also worked my arse off throughout ms3-4 and probably the only guy electing to do icu #2 in january :laugh: