M4 feeling terrible after Step 2CK today, should I delay ERAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,
I know I'm new to the board but would really appreciate if anyone could clarify the order of the rank list that Blade posted. I'm particularly interested in programs in the Southeast and was surprised to see Mayo Jacksonville and UF Jacksonville ranked above Miami, but again I was unsure whether the list was ranked in order of best program to worst program. I assumed it was because if it was ranked as best chances to worst chances, it seemed odd that Emory would be listed before Medical College of Georgia.

Blade, could you please shed some light on how this rank list was ordered?
I'd be glad to start a new thread if this deviates too far from the current topic, it's not my intention to "thread jack". I'm trying to get an idea of the quality and competitiveness of programs in the Southeast as application cycle starts, and most of the information I've found on here is a few years old.

I didn't rank them in any particular order. Why not send out your 35 applications and see who invites you for an interview?

Best to worst (take it with a grain of salt):

1. UF
2. Miami
3. Emory
4. Univ of South Carolina
5. Univ. of tennessee
6. Arkansas
7. Mayo-Jax
8. LSU Shreveport
9. UF-Jax
10. Medical College of Georgia

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That's more in line with what I expected. Thanks for the advice and response.

I didn't rank them in any particular order. Why not send out your 35 applications and see who invites you for an interview?

1. UF
2. Miami
3. Emory
5. Univ. of tennessee
6. Arkansas
7. Mayo-Jax
8. LSU Shreveport
9. UF-Jax

Roughly halfway to 2/3 of the way down Blade's list the program's become more community-based versus academic center, if that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)

1. UF
2. Miami
3. Emory
5. Univ. of tennessee
6. Arkansas
7. Mayo-Jax
8. LSU Shreveport
9. UF-Jax

LSU-Shreveport has been on probation in the past so they probably should be last.

Reactions: 1 users
what is the best way/ resource to find out about things like this? I dont think the FREIDA database has this type of info?

I'm assuming if you need to rank bottom 1/3 programs then your options are limited. Just like listing the top 10 is difficult to do the same is true of the bottom 20 programs.

One of things to ask at your interview is about ACGME accreditation and the next cycle. You can also ask if ever on probation. Problem solved.

Or, here is a link:

https://apps.acgme.org/ads/Public/Programs/Search?stateId=19&specialtyId=3&city=

thanks guys, my app is in. 53 programs total.. In the words of a famous detroit rapper, "moms spaghetti"....

This is my first post on this board after lurking for years, since a little after starting medical school, but I had to respond given the responses this guy has gotten. OP, I'm glad you applied broadly and I think you have a great shot at matching at a mid tier or even upper level program with luck. I too went to a top 40 med school, had slightly above average board scores, and matched at a mid tier program in the northeast. I worked hard in residency, did very well, wasn't interested in any fellowship and I've worked for a private group in the southeast for 2 years; a few of my co-residents went on to fellowship and in speaking to them I'm glad I didn't spend that year not making a full salary. I'm sure I would have matched though, as our program did well in placing residents over the years.

As for matching into a top tier program, I have to say such programs are not for everyone. Quite a few on my attendings from residency trained at some of the best programs in the NE, but were no better than any of the non Ivy league attendings. In fact, those who trained at tough residencies with sick patients who don't get million dollar workups and consults up the wazoo were significantly better and had less complications/lawsuits. What I'm trying to say is residency, and Anesthesiology in general, is very dependent on effort and the ability to effectively manage tough patients. No matter where you end up, put the effort in and you'll do well.

Reactions: 2 users
thanks blah blah blah! I dont take anything that was posted personal, it was just irritating because I was in the middle of selecting programs during a busy rotation and would enthusiastically fire up the SDN app whenever I had a notification only to read the aforementioned comments. In any case, the other posts were very useful so I thank everyone for their advice! The waiting game is always the hardest, I am hopeful that I end up at a program that is a good fit and strong in CC. I agree that prestige only takes you so far. I will however be a lot more conscientious about hitting the books early and hard. Baby Miller to start with right? I've started reading it since I am on a laid back MS4 "rotation" at the moment... too soon? People in my program seem to suggest that I have to do a fellowship in the current state of the field to "future-proof" myself, I will always have an open mind about this but whats the best way to gain more experience in say CC during CA1-CA2? The fellowship apps are due at the end of CA2 right?

hmm I seem to have a lot of questions.. any advice would be appreciated!

Deep breaths, @minutemen11 get though this cycle before worrying about the next application cycle (which is thankfully much less formalized). Don't take too much personal, it's the internet so bluntness comes as a norm and if people are having a bad day they can take it out here.

You can start with Baby Miller if you really want to, but man that is a dull, rough read. I was and continue to be a more Morgan & Mikhail kind of dude - to start just focus on the pharmacology and physiology chapters. To be honest you have intern year to tackle that - enjoy MS4 year and go do some cultural/outside activities while you have the freedom! It's football season, maybe go to a game nearby?

To answer your question about fellowship you'll be starting to apply around Christmas of CA2 year if you want to enter fellowship after residency. A pretty lively discussion on whether one is "required" or not in a separate thread I would look at here:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/fellowship-for-job-security.1217729/

Reactions: 1 users