M4 Programs to Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaschicago

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm about to send out my application and am trying to narrow down on programs in effort to not have to send out >50 apps. I'm open to training anywhere and applying w/ another medical student so I'm looking at highly concentrated cities to increase my chances of a successful match.

Stats:
Step 1: 237 Step 2: TBD
Clinicals: 1 H, 2 NH, 4 P
Extracurriculars: 8-10 leadership positions including AIG lead, ASA delegate, national representative in DC amongst various organizations, 1 research publication, 1 book chapter publication, 4-5 posters at national conventions
Letters: PD, Chair, Critical Care (Anes attending) and ICU (Med attending)

Looking mainly at either coasts (Boston, NYC, Philly, DC/Virginia, SF, LA, Washington) and Midwest (Chicago, Wisconsin, Ohio, St. Louis). If you have any suggestions on what programs I am a good fit for or which are definite reaches (and unlikely to get an interview) that may help me narrow my search. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. MGH
2. BWH
3. BID
4. Tufts
5. BU
6. Cornell
7. Columbia
8. Mt. Sinai
9. NYU
10. UPenn
11. CCF
12. OHSU
13. SLU
14. WashU
15. Northwestern
16. UChicago
17. UIC
18. Rush
19. UWashington
20. UCLA
21. UCSD
22. UCSF
23. Stanford
24. UPMC
25. UPitt

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. BID
4. Tufts
5. BU
6. Cornell
7. Columbia
8. Mt. Sinai
9. NYU
10. UPenn
11. CCF
12. OHSU
13. SLU
14. WashU
15. Northwestern
16. UChicago
17. UIC
18. Rush
19. UWashington
20. UCLA
21. UCSD
22. UCSF
23. Stanford
24. UPMC
25. UPitt

Too many "reach" programs so plan on another 10-15 Mid-tier programs to your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Here are ten more:

1. Oregon
2. Arizona
3. Iowa
4. Nebraska
5. Univ of Minnesota
6. Univ of Missouri
7. Mayo-Phoenix
8. Colorado
9. Loyola
10. Toledo

If you get too many interviews then plan on no more than 15 interviews. This should be 5 "reach programs" and 10 mid-tier programs.

How many programs on that initial list are reaches? I am assuming the harvard ones and top programs in NYC but how about the rest?

How many programs on that initial list are reaches? I am assuming the harvard ones and top programs in NYC but how about the rest?

How about you pick 4-5 programs which are first tier to interview at which are outside Chicago. Then, you interview at all the Chicago programs plus another 4-5 mid-tier ones not located in NYC, Boston or California. This way you give yourself a shot at first tier programs (4-5), all the Chicago programs and then another 4-5 not located in a "PRIME" location.

Plan: Apply to 35 programs and interview at 13-15.

I would think it would be easier to match with another med student at say CCF than MGH or Northwestern but that depends on his/her application.

Last edited:
I really don't think any of the Chicago programs are "top-tier" programs. Based on my experiences last year I'm fairly certain this person will get interviews at NU and UChicago on step score alone. I personally wouldn't bother with UIC/Rush (you can probably SOAP into Rush).

I'd say your reaches in the list are
1. MGH
2. BWH
3. BID
7. Columbia
8. Mt. Sinai
10. UPenn
11. CCF
14. WashU
20. UCLA
21. UCSD
22. UCSF
23. Stanford
24. UPMC (don't know about this program)

Granted this is only 1 years worth of anesthesia experience so, like all advice on here take it with a grain of salt.
Personally I'd just buck up the cash you never know what's gonna hit

I honestly didn't think I had a chance in hell at the program I ended up matching at...

I really don't think any of the Chicago programs are "top-tier" programs. Based on my experiences last year I'm fairly certain this person will get interviews at NU and UChicago on step score alone. I personally wouldn't bother with UIC/Rush (you can probably SOAP into Rush).

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. BID
7. Columbia
8. Mt. Sinai
10. UPenn
11. CCF
14. WashU
20. UCLA
21. UCSD
22. UCSF
23. Stanford

Granted this is only 1 years worth of anesthesia experience so, like all advice on here take it with a grain of salt.

I honestly didn't think I had a chance in hell at the program I ended up matching at...

I think it is harder to get an interview at cornell than columbia. Ccf and maybe ucsd are also within reach imo.

1. MGH
2. BWH
3. BID
7. Columbia
8. Mt. Sinai
10. UPenn
11. CCF
14. WashU
20. UCLA
21. UCSD
22. UCSF
23. Stanford

I think the OP should apply to 35 programs (they are all listed) and see who bites for an interview. He/She can then interview at 13-15 programs.

Long-time member using a throwaway for anonymity.

My application is basically the same as OP's (lots of national leadership positions, many publications, mostly High Pass clinical grades) but with a 252 step 1.

Am I safe to apply mostly to West Coast programs coming from a (top 40, but who cares) state school in the midwest and strong prior ties to CA?

I'd prefer to land at OHSU or UCSD but honestly have very little understanding of the competitiveness of these and other west coast programs. My school doesn't send people west very often.

Thanks for all of the help and insight provided here, everyone. And OP, I don't care about the step score difference in the least, you're obviously a hard charger and I hope you go exactly where you want. You deserve it. Sorry to hijack your thread.

I don't think you should have problems getting interviews on the West Coast. UW, Stanford, OHSU, UCSD, Virginia Mason, etc. should send you an invitation. UCSF might also, but I feels as if it's always a craps-shoot with places like UCSF and MGH.

Long-time member using a throwaway for anonymity.

My application is basically the same as OP's (lots of national leadership positions, many publications, mostly High Pass clinical grades) but with a 252 step 1.

Am I safe to apply mostly to West Coast programs coming from a (top 40, but who cares) state school in the midwest and strong prior ties to CA?

I'd prefer to land at OHSU or UCSD but honestly have very little understanding of the competitiveness of these and other west coast programs. My school doesn't send people west very often.

Thanks for all of the help and insight provided here, everyone. And OP, I don't care about the step score difference in the least, you're obviously a hard charger and I hope you go exactly where you want. You deserve it. Sorry to hijack your thread.

Agree with the above. Based on your stats alone, I think you have an excellent shot at matching OHSU or UCSD as long as your interview skills are decent. I think you'd be safe to apply to all the west coast programs (I think there are only 15 or so) and maybe an extra 1-5 programs of your choice elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
I've also been wondering how competitive I will be for this match cycle/how many programs to apply to.
I'm a DO in the second quartile of my class - Step 1/Level 1: 243/629, Step 2/Level 2: 243/763. Honors and high pass on the majority of my 3rd year rotations. Two publications from undergrad. I would prefer to stay in the midwest but don't necessarily want to pass up other good programs solely based on location. Of the programs I am most interested in here is my rough list. What other programs would people recommend considering/do I have too many "reaches" in my list?

Iowa
Nebraska Medical Center
Madison
Milwaukee
UMKC
KU
WashU
Missouri (Columbia)
Minnesota
Mayo (Rochester)
Mayo (AZ)
Mayo (Jacksonville)
Colorado
Ohio State
Cleveland Clinic
MetroHealth (Cleveland)
Cinicinatti
Michigan
UPMC
Penn State
Wake Forest
Vanderbuilt
UCLA
UC Davis
Arizona
OHSU
UNC
Florida (Gainesville)
Kentucky

I've also been wondering how competitive I will be for this match cycle/how many programs to apply to.
I'm a DO in the second quartile of my class - Step 1/Level 1: 243/629, Step 2/Level 2: 243/763. Honors and high pass on the majority of my 3rd year rotations. Two publications from undergrad. I would prefer to stay in the midwest but don't necessarily want to pass up other good programs solely based on location. Of the programs I am most interested in here is my rough list. What other programs would people recommend considering/do I have too many "reaches" in my list?

Iowa
Nebraska Medical Center
Madison
Milwaukee
UMKC
KU
WashU
Missouri (Columbia)
Minnesota
Mayo (Rochester)
Mayo (AZ)
Mayo (Jacksonville)
Colorado
Ohio State
Cleveland Clinic
MetroHealth (Cleveland)
Cinicinatti
Michigan
UPMC
Penn State
Wake Forest
Vanderbuilt
UCLA
UC Davis
Arizona
OHSU
UNC
Florida (Gainesville)
Kentucky
Are you me? Seriously our apps are extremely similar on board scores, grades, etc. I'm applying to a lot of the same places. Some programs that I've got on my list that you don't have on there...
SLU, Indiana, Louisville, oklahoma, mississippi, texas tech, Loma Linda, new mexico. You could always throw in some Chicago programs.

I've got my list down to about 30-33 programs. Hope this goes well for you this cycle!

Agree with the above. Based on your stats alone, I think you have an excellent shot at matching OHSU or UCSD as long as your interview skills are decent. I think you'd be safe to apply to all the west coast programs (I think there are only 15 or so) and maybe an extra 1-5 programs of your choice elsewhere.

I agree that those with a Step 1 of 252 have all the West Coast programs within their reach.