MA MPJE 2020 Thoughts and Tips

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CorgisRock

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to post about my experience with the MA MPJE since there is so little information out there! I took the exam for the first time a couple weeks ago and learned that I passed with an 83 last week:) I just moved to MA last year and did my APPE's here, but otherwise had no prior knowledge of MA law.

I was honestly a bit surprised I passed. After reading all the SDN/reddit threads I could find, I psyched myself out thinking the exam was filled with ambiguous/convoluted questions. But most of the questions felt...somewhat basic. I never got confused about what was being asked, and many questions seemed to be straight-forward and lifted directly from the texts I had studied (though there were many k-type and select all that apply questions, so I think I got some wrong just because I couldn't remember whether a certain element was included in a list. But many times it was as simple as listing the correct elements from the text). I actually got fairly worried I was failing and the adaptive exam component was giving me easy questions, because this continued through the end of the exam. So I guess my first takeaway is that feeling good after your exam does not necessarily mean that you failed! In my case, I felt good walking out and passed with a decent margin.

For study materials/tips I honestly used a very limited set...didn't want to get overwhelmed. I used the official MA MPJE review document. After a lot of research, I found it really was the best way to prepare, but I only looked at the top few links: 247 CMR (really treat this like a textbook! It seemed to be about half of the exam), Board of Pharmacy policies (highly recommend; they had a lot of good information and each link is only 1-3 pages long, should take about half a day to get through all), 105 CMR (only 700.00-722.00), and MGL 94C (for specific Rx requirements). I didn't really focus on federal law except for reading the DEA Pharmacist's Manual (last updated in 2010 or something weird like that, but this IS the most current) and found that to be highly important and sufficient. Also know adulteration/misbranding (definitely tested), Poison Prevention Packaging Act, and be able to free-recall write out requirements for what's included on an Rx, who can prescribe and under what circumstances (for example mid level practitioners and out of state and contiguous state CII's), any other "lists" relevant to actual practice.

Additional websites I used: Rxexamreview has a helpful quick overview of federal law and Quizlet has some MA MPJE specific questions (though some wrong answers I found too)

And...that was pretty much it! Honestly, in retrospect it was fairly manageable and I'm glad I didn't purchase expensive prep materials. Hope this helps anyone planning on taking the exam soon. Feel free to PM me if any questions or would like to take a look at my study outlines/notes :)

Members don't see this ad.

First off, Congrats!!! I am taking it end of Nov, so thank you for listing in detail the things that helped you pass and i hope it helps me as well.