MA/MS MA program with/without a thesis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroPsychosis

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello platform folks,

Just a debate came across.

I realized some MA programs in Psychology out there don't have a thesis required as part of their program (I realized they are usually clinical emphasis). However, as for someone interested in applying to PhD programs (clinical & traditional): will this have any impact on their application? This person also has a full time research position in a lab where they published/ presented (not part of the MA-external job).

Will adcoms be looking for a thesis once they know this applicant holds a master's degree? If they find out that program doesn't have one, any sad looks? or will the research position productivity balance it out? Also, should the applicant address that in the app or just leave it?

Cheers,

NP

Members don't see this ad.

Don’t worry about it. From my experience, they don’t really care. If you don’t have a thesis you will have to do one in the new program. If you have a thesis they will assess quality and if it’s equivalent then you won’t have to do it again.

Committees will look at other indicators much more than thesis.

Reactions: 1 user