mac or pc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I just got accepted to my preferred university, so I am looking for a laptop now. I was planning on buying a windows PC, but I find with windows after a while it seems unorganized, bogged down, and slow. I don't know that windows will be very reliable for 4-5 years. Does mac have these problems? Also if I buy a macbook with microsoft office for mac will that be all I need or should I buy windows?

Members don't see this ad.

I use a Mac at my school. I have no problems at all. Mac all the way.

On another note, you should see if your school uses particular software or if they possibly give you a computer as well.

Windows 7 is a good new OS. However, if you're more comfortable with a Mac, you can always run Windows on there to ensure compatibility. For the most part, I can't imagine you'll have problems with either one as long as you take care of the computer.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the poster above me. Also, you shouldn't need windows unless you just love it that much that you want to have both. I'm on my second mac and haven't had many compatibility problems so far until recently. The school I attend records lectures and you can either download the ipod/itunes version or watch them streaming and I haven't been able to watch the streaming version b/c I'm missing some "plug-in" that can't be identified.

A Mac trumps a pc always! But seriously, check with the school...some make you buy a certain kind. Compatibility shouldn't be a problem though.

I have an HP. I love it. If you go pc, it's the way to go IMO.

I have one of the business notebooks though, so if you are the gamer type, then you probably should go for something else. But as far as a work horse, primo.

I say PC all the way. First of all, Macs are WAY overpriced. Laptops starting at $999?!!? Honestly, I can think of a thousand better ways to spend that kind of cash. Anyways, you're basically paying for the Apple nametag and the fancy aluminum exterior. I guarantee that you can get an amazing PC for $999 with much better hardware.

I say PC all the way. First of all, Macs are WAY overpriced. Laptops starting at $999?!!? Honestly, I can think of a thousand better ways to spend that kind of cash. Anyways, you're basically paying for the Apple nametag and the fancy aluminum exterior. I guarantee that you can get an amazing PC for $999 with much better hardware.

I tend to agree with this. If I was rich I would go with mac, but since I'm not, pc is fine. As long as you have a proper anti-virus program, you should be good to go.

I used to say the same thing too. I then got a Mac through my job and you're not just paying for the brand. The hardware IS a bit overpriced, but being able to run OS X in my opinion is worth it. If you look at the specs for a $999 PC laptop they're roughly the same anyway as the Mac... the only difference is that Apple doesn't make low end throwaway computers like Dell.

If you have the money, go with a Mac, you won't regret it. If you're looking for something cheaper, go with a PC, but get ready to shell out more cash in 3 years to buy a new one when your PC becomes unbearably slow. I have Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro in case of compatibility issues. I've never had to use it for anything except for computer games (where PC still reigns king, and rightfully so).

EDIT: Subsequently, if you don't want to pay for the Apple name/operating system, Linux is a good way to go if you're really patient and fairly computer literate.

Oh yea, if you edit a lot of videos then go with a mac.

Mac all the way; it's just so much more reliable. Any feature on a PC will just run better on a Mac (ie: 2.0GHz processor on Mac >> 2.5GHz processor on PC, etc). And, I'll get smack for this, but Macs tend to last longer as well; you really won't need another computer for years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Laptop? Mac. Desktop? PC.... No other way. Apple seriously sucks at making desktops and PC companies can't make Laptops, well most can't or should I say most laptops they make are crap. :)

I'll admit it and I'm ashamed to say that I have a laptop PC, worst **** ever!

Been using PCs/windows for years to game/internet/write and never had a problem I couldnt fix.

Macs run fine too, but when I can pay less for a PC in a less trendy package with more power/customization, I say why switch?

Trust me i've had both completely decked out windows laptop which i played close to $1800 for and an apple laptop with very comparable stats which i bought at apple's website for close to 999...Mac trumps the pc hands down...It is so much faster and there is not way microsoft will ever be able to come out with an os that will run as smooth and fast as OS X...IMO having had both the 2 aren't even in the same league...MAC for the win!

Trust me i've had both completely decked out windows laptop which i played close to $1800 for and an apple laptop with very comparable stats which i bought at apple's website for close to 999...Mac trumps the pc hands down...It is so much faster and there is not way microsoft will ever be able to come out with an os that will run as smooth and fast as OS X...IMO having had both the 2 aren't even in the same league...MAC for the win!

Whoa, whoa. You must have gotten ripped off somewhere. LOL $1800 for a PC laptop that has comparable stats to that of a $999 mac? Can you please post the stats? From my experience, a laptop PC cost around $500 with the same specs you'd find on a $999 mac.. I call BS on your part or you don't know how to shop! :laugh:

If you want to pay a lot more than go with Mac. Any sensible user can operate a PC. honestly, just don't get to sketchy websites or open up weird links and you'll never have issues with a PC. And don't download programs or music without scanning for viruses!

If you know nothing about computers, get a Mac. If you are an expert at computing, get a PC.

Windows 7 is a good new OS. However, if you're more comfortable with a Mac, you can always run Windows on there to ensure compatibility. For the most part, I can't imagine you'll have problems with either one as long as you take care of the computer.

Agreed. Both will work fine. Now you just have to decide if spending twice as much money for the same product makes sense (a la Apple).

I used to say the same thing too. I then got a Mac through my job and you're not just paying for the brand. The hardware IS a bit overpriced, but being able to run OS X in my opinion is worth it. If you look at the specs for a $999 PC laptop they're roughly the same anyway as the Mac... the only difference is that Apple doesn't make low end throwaway computers like Dell.

If you have the money, go with a Mac, you won't regret it. If you're looking for something cheaper, go with a PC, but get ready to shell out more cash in 3 years to buy a new one when your PC becomes unbearably slow. I have Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro in case of compatibility issues. I've never had to use it for anything except for computer games (where PC still reigns king, and rightfully so).

EDIT: Subsequently, if you don't want to pay for the Apple name/operating system, Linux is a good way to go if you're really patient and fairly computer literate.

I have an two PCs. One is a 7 year old desktop, the other is a 4 year old laptop. Both perform exactly the same as they did when brand new. Any computer, PC or Mac, should last as long as you see fit to keep it.

Either is fine. If you have the money, go Apple (BUT GET THEIR WARRANTY). If on a budget go PC.
If a PC breaks, it's literally a throw away years down the road and you can easily pick up a new one for a couple hundred dollars. If an Apple computer fails, it's a $1500-2000 paperweight.

Apple hardware tends to be more expensive, but you can run Vmware or Parallels to have a virtual setup with Windows as well. Applecare is great simply because if their charger breaks, need an LCD replacement, or encounter a dead hard drive (I've seen this happen over the years), you can bring it to any Applestore to get it fixed.

Above all, I would check your school's computer store -- see if there's any student discounts for the notebooks they carry. (i.e., they have the Macbook White at old school for ~$699).

Costco is great for PC's, they'll give you a decent price for a great configuration 24/7, + you got a 90 day return policy. Slickdeals.net is great, and Black Friday is around the corner.

I've used both PCs and Macs for many years now, and can honestly say I would use the budget criteria to make your decision.

...macs are superior laptops (right out of box), but i think its a complete waste of money if...

...if it's mainly for emails, internet, occasional gaming, some photoshop, regular tasks, then you are set with a standard windows' laptop for the next 4-5 years...

...a friend of mine still sports a dell 700m with a 512 ram memory from i cant remember when, although it's old, it does very very well!...

Agreed. Both will work fine. Now you just have to decide if spending twice as much money for the same product makes sense (a la Apple).

Ok I have an issue with posts like this.

A comparable Windows laptop will run close to the same amount as a Macbook. Yes, it's true. You get a student discount from Apple (as well as a free iPod touch and printer), and you'll only end up paying a little bit more.

Why I think paying the small amount more to invest in a Macbook is a smart idea: The build quality on Apple's laptops far exceeds any other laptop manufacturer out there currently. The aluminum body is sturdy and does not feel cheap/breakable, yet it is lightweight. The glass trackpad is amazing- 2 fingers scroll up and down, 3 fingers go back and forth on webpages, you can zoom in and out with it, it's great. I find myself using the trackpad instead of my mouse even at home. The LED lit screen is just fantastic to look at. I compared it against quite a few other laptops and nothing compared. Another thing I love is the hardware-software synergy. Having keys at the top to activate Expose (an OSX feature to organize windows), changing songs in iTunes, and activating the dashboard so I can see the weather and other things is just super convenient. The backlit keyboard is also something you don't normally see at this price range. It looks great and is extremely handy for typing in the dark. Probably the biggest draw though is the battery life. 7 hours, which is unheard of among other laptops. It's extremely handy that it lasts all through my school day plus has enough juice to study all night with me at the library. Definitely handy not having to drag a power cord around.

So, although I sound like an Apple rep, I would seriously ask that you consider it, because the build quality on these things are great- they will last you a LONG time. I'm willing to bet that in one Macbook's lifetime, a more shoddily designed laptop would need to be replaced.

There are PC manufacturers that have fantastic build quality as well. I don't recommend Dell. But take a look at companies like Lenovo, they have some great computers at reasonable prices.

I'd go for a Mac as well. All I would add is that it is definitely worth getting a refurb. There is seriously no difference outside of the slightly different packaging and the 16-29% price difference.

If you can afford it, get a Mac for the reasons stated above. OS X is just far superior for everyday use (stability, security, extremely-polished and well-thought-out user interface), and if you ever need to, you can easily run Windows or Linux on Apple hardware.

And if budget is a major concern, get a PC without Windows and run Linux. You can run many Windows programs (e.g. Office 2007) in Linux, and if you can't, there's probably an equally-powerful (free) alternative.

I have an HP and I love it. I was never able to get used to the Mac OS because I tend to be a creature of habit when it comes to things like this. I've been using Windows since I learned how to work a computer in first grade and will continue to do so. That's not to say that I think Macs are bad. A lot of people I know love them. It's just not a choice I would make! I got a great HP laptop for about $900 that has lasted me for two years and is showing no signs of stopping.

Whoa, whoa. You must have gotten ripped off somewhere. LOL $1800 for a PC laptop that has comparable stats to that of a $999 mac? Can you please post the stats? From my experience, a laptop PC cost around $500 with the same specs you'd find on a $999 mac.. I call BS on your part or you don't know how to shop! :laugh:

Well there was at least 3 years in between buying the pc and the mac lol and i got about $300 off on the mac because i bought it refurb...both have 2.4 ghz dual cores, (bought the pc right after this became available) 2 gig ram and both have 256mb video cards. The pc had a 17" widescreen lcd which isn't even close to the LED on the mac in terms of quality. Moral of the story, don't let your mom pick out your first laptop haha

For people that say PC are unreliable and all that stuff....

I been using pc for over 10 years, and I have yet to lose any homework because it crashed (power loss yes lol).

If you have some basic skill in maintaining PC you are going to be fine. Those include but not limited to. Clear your browser cache, and most importantly change the startup program setting. And obliviously dont download anything from sites you dont trust (I have NEVER gotten any virus EVER on a PC). If you download alot of things like me eventually you can tell what kind of stuff are safe to download. (also alot of "free" software are PC only :))

And yes hardware wise MAC is slightly more expansive FOR SURE. But unless you do alot of hardware intensive work on it...the User Interface will affect your life MUCH MUCH more

You guys know that Apple Computers can get viruses too, right? If that happens, say goodbye to your laptop because no one will be able to fix it. Yes, it's uncommon, but not unheard of. I still would recommend a Mac laptop over a PC laptop unless you go high end on the PC laptops ($1800+). Plus, I think the Mac book Air is just plain sexy.

I had always had a PC up until last year and then I got a new Macbook Air.. I like both Mac and PC it really doesnt matter. If you have the money go with MAC if money is tight go with PC..

You guys know that Apple Computers can get viruses too, right? If that happens, say goodbye to your laptop because no one will be able to fix it. Yes, it's uncommon, but not unheard of.

The "viruses" you speak of are more proof of concept than anything actually malicious. And even if you were to download malware on OS X, YOU have to give it root access for it to do anything to your system.

Some of my friend also said this, Its BS!!!! Mac are massively overprice unless you got a really good deal or you got a re certify/refurb one. It was cool to have a Mac at one point but everyone have one now so it not cool anymore

Assuming $1800 PC = gaming computer, then Mac can't beat in that department. I bought a $400 computer that is running CODMW2, give me a mac that can do that with the same price

Last edited:
Lol, people always say Macs are better quality than PCs and that's simply not true. I understand that Macs have become the trendy thing to get now but honestly, anyone with a brain and about 30minutes of PC knowledge can make a much cheaper PC last as long as a Mac.

For the video editing stuff, yeah if you have absolutely no skills it's easier to use on a mac. But, once again, given a few hours of experience, you should have no problem editing with windows software. This is coming from a guy who fixes computers (believe me, Macs have plenty of problems) for money.

Some of my friend also said this, Its BS!!!! Mac are massively overprice unless you got a really good deal or you got a re certify/refurb one. It was cool to have a Mac at one point but everyone have one now so it not cool anymore

Agreed. You have no idea how sweet you could have a windows laptop with $1800 to play with. There's a reason Apple's main income is the ipod.

can't believe no one's mentioned this yet, but... CUSTOMER SERVICE. i've had both a dell and a mac laptop. they both had problems; i shelled out for the warranty on both . turns out, i was never able to find out what the problem with my dell was because after it died i spent hours and hours on hold or on the phone with a rep across the world who couldn't help me. the computer was just dead. so i replaced it with a mac. it also had problems-- the hard drive crashed this summer. wonderful experience taking it into an apple service provider and the drive was replaced for free.

for this reason, mac FTW. other than that, it's personal preference in terms of user interface, etc.

Dell is known for ****ty service, though. That's one of the main problems with this "PC vs Mac" debate, because Apple will generalize problems using bad PC companies and then fall back on singular brand sales when it suits them.

I've never had a problem with Windows. My HP laptop I bought two years ago had better specs than Mac models and was significantly cheaper too. Vista has been a breeze for me. Macs are fine and all, but many PC brands have business class laptops that are just as good with build quality (and are thus a comparable price).

All that money and still only one mouse button! Haha, I don't mind Macs, just not for me.

Laptop? Mac. Desktop? PC.... No other way. Apple seriously sucks at making desktops and PC companies can't make Laptops, well most can't or should I say most laptops they make are crap. :)

I'll admit it and I'm ashamed to say that I have a laptop PC, worst **** ever!

NO WAY! Although the iMac has laptop-esque parts in it...I have to say that my new 27" iMac is the BOMB and I think pretty reasonably priced for what you get. After all the discounts, etc. I got it for $1600 (tax-free) with a free printer. Which, considering the massive screen size and quality really is a pretty good deal. I'd highly suggest it.

Having just gotten rid of my 5 1/2 year old Dell laptop from my freshman year of college, I am SO SO happy. As a side note, research labs loves Macs so if you ever end up doing bench or clinical research you'll be fine.

Aside from being overpriced and overrated, the fact that they have something called a "genius bar" at their store alone turns me off to anything Mac orriented (apart from the iPod :D). Go for a PC.

I think the debate really comes down to the type of person buying the computer. Are you a:

-Mac commercial type individual? Do you want your computer to "Just work?" Are you interested in amateur photo and video editing? Get a mac.

-Technically inclined person that likes an advanced operating system with advanced options? Do you like to play video games? Are you a rational person capable of using a computer without being freaked out by buttons and commands? Get a PC.

Really, if you're a competent individual, I see no reason not to get a PC, as it has so much more program compatibility than a Mac. But, if you aren't technologically inclined, and find that PCs keep on "GETTING SLOW" on you, do yourself a favor and pay for the mac.

NO WAY! Although the iMac has laptop-esque parts in it...I have to say that my new 27" iMac is the BOMB and I think pretty reasonably priced for what you get. After all the discounts, etc. I got it for $1600 (tax-free) with a free printer. Which, considering the massive screen size and quality really is a pretty good deal. I'd highly suggest it.

Having just gotten rid of my 5 1/2 year old Dell laptop from my freshman year of college, I am SO SO happy. As a side note, research labs loves Macs so if you ever end up doing bench or clinical research you'll be fine.

With $1600 I can build a top of the line GAMING machine. Nowhere near the same league as an iMac. Trust, I'm into computers and I know what I'm talking about. Plus, you can't really upgrade Mac's like you can PC's and that's a fact. Unless you want to pay hundreds out of pocket.

My best friend has Mac and I can see the lure:
Sexy exterior
Longer battery life
Lightweight/great portability

However, her computer has crushed more than I can count. Every few months she's racing to the Apple store for repair or replacement of parts! I have my Dell laptop for 5 years and it crashed only once and I just had to reboot it. Also I can't really get over the fact that you can not "copy and paste" things easily on Mac as you can on PC.

As long as you are not downloading porn off the internet, you won't be dealing with much virus problems on PC.

Yesterday I bought a new desktop pc from office depot. It's a quad core (2.7 mghz) with 6 gb ram, .6 Tb hard drive, and a decent video card. It cost 450$. When apple stops ripping people off by charging double or triple because their product is "hip," maybe I'll consider buying one.

The problem trendy mac users fail to acknowledge is that 90% of the working world uses a pc and windows. If you want to be able to work effectively with your colleagues, use a pc. No matter how many people you know who have a mac, most people have pcs, and providing software/cooperativity for macs is the exception, not the rule. If you want to be unique and non-traditional (i.e. trendy), buy a mac. If you want to actually accomplish something instead of spending all day figuring out how to get your computer to talk with everyone else's, buy a pc.

Having said that, if everyone's computers ran on Linux the world would be a much better place. But the average person wants a simple, easy-to-use interface like Windows provides, and Linux will have a hard time replacing Windows (for the same reason that businesses don't run OS X).

Am I the only one who can't figure out why mac users would use their last dying breath to proclaim the superiority of macs over pcs? It is totally irrational - like anyone that suggests using a pc has delivered a personal insult and challenged their character and life's accomplishments. Mac's are nice, but they are not THAT nice, and not much better (if any) than a pc.

I have owned both (and in fact own one of each right now by chance, though I pretty much only use the mac), and never really had problems with any version of either. Windows can be a little clunkier and buggier than OSX, but the stuff you'll be doing in med school is of such limited scope that I doubt you'll notice. They both 'copy and paste' the same, IME, and I would actually recommend mac over pc to experienced programmers rather than the other way around.

For medical school, I would recommend a ≤$500 pc laptop, for several reasons:

A) You'll be carrying it all over the place and/or living in a crappy apt and/or dorm - you may drop it, break it, or have it stolen. While it's true that mac laptops are better built, at $500 a pop, the PC laptop is easily replaceable (obviously you also should buy an external or online drive and back up all the time).

B) The programs you'll be using are only really going to be Firefox or Opera, VPN, Microsoft or Open Office, maybe a flashcard program, iTunes, and a game or two. You wouldn't be taxing any OS doing these things, nor would either OSX or windows be particularly better for such a limited range of use.

C) As weird as it sounds, you'll probably use your computer a lot less than you did in undergrad (other posters, is this true at your medical school as well?). A better machine lends no real advantage. The stuff you'll want to spend money on are a nice laser printer, an external drive, one or two high-capacity USB thumb drives, good internet access, and a couple useful online applications for file storage etc.

So, while Apple laptops are better, faster, and prettier, you'd be better off getting a $500 pc laptop every two years and spending your money on good peripheral equipment. Yes, having windows crash once every two months is annoying - but not as annoying as losing files or having your printer not work!

My best friend has Mac and I can see the lure:
Sexy exterior
Longer battery life
Lightweight/great portability

However, her computer has crushed more than I can count. Every few months she's racing to the Apple store for repair or replacement of parts! I have my Dell laptop for 5 years and it crashed only once and I just had to reboot it. Also I can't really get over the fact that you can not "copy and paste" things easily on Mac as you can on PC.

As long as you are not downloading porn off the internet, you won't be dealing with much virus problems on PC.

wtf? commant+c and command+v. just as easy as on a PC. i recognize that mac vs. PC is a personal preference and not everyone will agree on what's "best," but that is a pretty dumb thing to worry about :laugh:

I have an HP and I love it. I was never able to get used to the Mac OS because I tend to be a creature of habit when it comes to things like this. I've been using Windows since I learned how to work a computer in first grade and will continue to do so. That's not to say that I think Macs are bad. A lot of people I know love them. It's just not a choice I would make! I got a great HP laptop for about $900 that has lasted me for two years and is showing no signs of stopping.

Yep. I have an HP as well, and for PC's, it is the way to go. More expensive than a DELL, but well worth it IMO. What model do you have? I have the COMPAQ 6910p.

Last edited:
wtf? commant+c and command+v. just as easy as on a PC. i recognize that mac vs. PC is a personal preference and not everyone will agree on what's "best," but that is a pretty dumb thing to worry about :laugh:

I guess I'm still a mac illiterate because I tend highlight a section, then click the Edit tab on the top of the page, scroll down to copy, and then repeat the same when pasting. Kinda exhausting as you can see! I guess there was an easier way . Maybe I'm just use to right-clicking everything coming from a PC :laugh:

Yep. I have an HP as well, and for PC's, it is the way to go. More expensive than a DELL, but well worth it IMO. What model do you have? I have the COMPAQ 6910p.

I have an HP Pavilion. I love it!

I've been a PC person forever and I just got my first Macbook Pro which I absolutely love. Everything is so easy to use and the computer basically does what you want it to do without any hassle.

Plus, there is a program you can get that allows you to run Windows on the Mac as well, if you ever need to do that for whatever reason.

I guess I'm still a mac illiterate because I tend highlight a section, then click the Edit tab on the top of the page, scroll down to copy, and then repeat the same when pasting. Kinda exhausting as you can see! I guess there was an easier way . Maybe I'm just use to right-clicking everything coming from a PC :laugh:

put two fingers on the trackpad and click... voila. a right click on a mac. no need to make things harder than they have to be.