Technology Mac vs. Windows laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Saradoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I will be starting med school at NYMC in the fall. I am looking for a new laptop and currently use a Mac. I would like a MacBook but do you think that a Windows-based laptop would be better equipped to handle the files/slides/course websites i'll need to use?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I will be starting med school at NYMC in the fall. I am looking for a new laptop and currently use a Mac. I would like a MacBook but do you think that a Windows-based laptop would be better equipped to handle the files/slides/course websites i'll need to use?
Thanks!

buy a macbook, a full version of xp (you can find xp home full sp2 on ebay for about 80 bucks), and parallels (another 80 bucks). run it all on one system

Thanks!

There isn't a file type that you're likely to come across that will be incompatible on a Mac. If it's a website issue, there are extensions for Safari that spoofs the user agent so the website thinks you're using a windows. The only problem you might run into is if there's a required software or Netapp that is Windows only. However, keep in mind that windows users with Vista may have the same problem. However, Mac users tend to be very...err...rabid when it comes to issues like this, so if there is/was a compatibility I'm sure it was/is being addressed.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can run Windows on the MacBook, if necessary. I don't see how you could go wrong.

Go for the macbook, for sure. You can do everything windows can on there, plus you get the bonus of having a great reliable machine. Generally the only time it has been an issue in the past is for some obscure windows-based applications that you might need for a class. But with the new Intel processors, you can run a full version of windows on your Mac.

Unless you are going to use it to make movies and music in your basement get a PC like the rest of the world. Sure a mac probably will be able to run most things you want, but a pc will be able to run them all. Plus PC's are made by many manufacturers and you can get the one that suits you best, instead of having to pick from a few different macs

buy a macbook, a full version of xp (you can find xp home full sp2 on ebay for about 80 bucks), and parallels (another 80 bucks). run it all on one system

A lot of universities offer discounts on Microsoft software. You can often buy academic versions of Windows XP for around $15 through the university software distribution points.

Get the mac.

Now it is a matter of WHICH mac to get.

There are rumors out there that an ultraportable macbook is in the making and is due for release in November of this year. The recent macbook update is wack, but the laptop should still serve you well in school.

Also, the macbook + ipod nano deal is on right now. (nice~)

Now it is a matter of WHICH mac to get.

There are rumors out there that an ultraportable macbook is in the making and is due for release in November of this year. The recent macbook update is wack, but the laptop should still serve you well in school.

Also, the macbook + ipod nano deal is on right now. (nice~)

That rumor's been around for awhile. The truth of the matter is that the old 12" Powerbooks are so prevelant and retaining so much of their resell value that I don't think we'll see another ultraportable one for at least a year.

And yes, the Mac + iPod deal is awesome. A little known fact is that you don't have to get the Nano: you can get any iPod discounted the price of the nano. When I bought my MacBook Pro last year, I got a 30GB video for $80.

Depends on what you want to spend, what you want to use it for, and how well versed you are in "computer maintenance".

I got a suped up PC for about 1500, the same Mac would have cost twice that (not sure of current prices on Mac, but if I remember correctly a MacPro notebook with equivalent processing power, etc. was around 3K). However, I work a lot with Windows and am far more familiar with how they work than Macs and can maintain my own system independently. PC's are also easier to upgrade, but if you don't want to mess with upgrading then Macs have a lot of great features built in. I also like to game, so PC offers more software options and availability. The Mac operating system is far more stable though because of the code it is written in and the fact that only ~10% of the public uses Macs (people don't write as much code to corrupt Macs).

So, figure out what you want to spend, and what you want to use it for. There is a lot of opinions/reviews that you can look up on the Internet as well.

Unless you are going to use it to make movies and music in your basement get a PC like the rest of the world.

"Baaaaah..."

js25b_sheep_wideweb__470x266,0.jpg

Depends on what you want to spend, what you want to use it for, and how well versed you are in "computer maintenance".

I got a suped up PC for about 1500, the same Mac would have cost twice that (not sure of current prices on Mac, but if I remember correctly a MacPro notebook with equivalent processing power, etc. was around 3K). .

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9023959

Bottom line: Assuming that you want a high-end notebook PC designed to work, play and be your everyday machine with style, the MacBook Pro is a surprisingly good value. The models that I compared it with, the Sony and the Dell, had some extras here and there, but they were also more expensive. The key to the perception that Macs are more expensive is that Apple offers very few in-between models.

Macs are cheaper vis a vis.

Members don't see this ad :)
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9023959

Interesting article. I should have mentioned that I got a 12% discount because I am a student, plus Dell was having their 23rd Anniversary Sale. I got a 1.86GHz Intel Pentium DUO, 15.4 inch Screen, 2GB RAM, 120 GB Hardrive laptop. Plus, I go a 4 in 1 printer, and a bundle that included a carrying case, wireless mouse and a flash drive and a 3 yr extende warranty. for a little over $1500. Dell has a student program with a lot of schools, so that may be something to check out (go to their website and search for students...it can be hard to find). I believe I got a pretty good deal.

I just priced out a comparable 15.4 inch Macbook Pro with everything I got from Dell and it was about 3K(not sure if there would have been discounts past checkout). Granted, the Macbook Pro had a little bit faster 2.2 GHz process, and I'm not sure if you can purchase Macs cheaper from other sources besides the online Apple store.

I have nothing against Macs, and looked into them when shopping for a laptop because of all the great things I have heard. Went to the store, researched online, etc. For me, it came down to how much I wanted to spend, My computer habits (like to game, and have been using Windows since circa 93), and I didn't want to struggle through learning a new Op System.

5k for the macbook pro = 1.5k dell? Did you add on the cinema display with the mbp or something ludicrous? you gotta be kidding me

E1505 Dual Core
Intel® Core™ DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB), Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
$2,026.00 1 $2,026.00 Inspiron E1505 Intel® Core™ DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)
[
LCD Panel 15.4 inch Wide Screen XGA Display with TrueLife™(glossy)
[]
Memory 2GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHZ, 2 DIMM
[
Video Card 256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™
]
Hard Drive Size: 120GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
]
Operating System (Office software not included) Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium
]
]
Network Card and Modem Integrated 10/100 Network Card and Modem
]
Adobe Software Adobe® Acrobat® Reader 7.0
[
Combo or DVD+RW Drive 8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability
[]
Sound Options Integrated Audio
[]
Wireless Networking Cards Intel PRO/Wireless 3945a/g
Office Productivity Software (Pre-Installed) Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 - Word, Excel + PowerPoint
[
Anti-Virus/Security Suite (Pre-installed) I chose Security with Value, Plus,or Premium Warranty Bundle
]
Primary Battery 85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery
Hardware Warranty PC-Care Plus Bundle
Dial-Up Internet Access 6 Months of America Online Membership Included
[]
Bluetooth Options Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth Internal (2.0 + Enhanced Data Rate)
[]
Dell Digital Entertainment Starter pack - Yahoo! Music, Corel Photo and Dell Games
[]
Processor Branding Intel Centrino Core Duo Processor
[
Labels Windows Vista™ Premium
]

Limited time offer: Save $49 on this ATI video card! - $49.00 Dell EPP/FSS Customers: Save $461 off select Inspiron systems! - $461.00 Dell EPP/FSS Customers: Select PC-Care Plus Bundle and get 7% discount off your total system order. Discount appears at checkout once payment method is chosen. - $106.12
spacer.gif
SATURN Messenger Bag and Daytona Mouse Bundle with 1GB Flash Drive $99.00 1 $99.00
spacer.gif
All-In-One Inkjet 946
Dell All-In-One Printer 946
$174.00 1 $174.00 Dell All In One Inkjet 946 Dell All-In-One Printer 946
]
Cable For Dell Printers Dell 10ft USB Printer Cable
]
Hardware Support Services 1Yr Ltd. Warranty, 1 yr HW Warranty Support, 1 yr Advance Exchange
]

Dell EPP/FSS Customers: Save $50 off the Dell 946 Printer! - $50.00
ADDITIONAL DISCOUNTS AND COUPONS
Dell program members receive 12% off systems priced $1600 and up with 3/4 yr At-Home service. Congratulations, you are receiving the maximum member discount. - $195.95 [FONT=arial,]Subtotal: $1,436.93 Shipping and Handling: $44.97
Shipping Discount: -$44.97
Tax Total: $86.19 Total: $1,523.12

I'm getting ready to start third year and I haven't had a single problem--compatibility or otherwise-- with my 3 year old ibook.

5k for the macbook pro = 1.5k dell? Did you add on the cinema display with the mbp or something ludicrous? you gotta be kidding me

Apple wireless Mighty Mouse
Part Number: MA272LL/A

//
icon-gift-msg.gif
Gift message: Add
| Create unique messages //
button_save.gif
button_cancel.gif

Remove$69.00$69.00Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours

HP Photosmart C4180 All-in-One Printer, Scanner, Copier
Part Number: TJ552LL/A

//
icon-gift-msg.gif
button_save.gif
button_cancel.gif

Remove$149.95$149.95Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours

Office 2004 for Mac - Student and Teacher Edition
Part Number: T9188LL/A

//
icon-gift-msg.gif
button_save.gif
button_cancel.gif

Remove$149.95$149.95Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz
Part Number: Z0EB
Accessory Kit
iWork '06 preinstalled
MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
120GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB

Remove$2,078.00$2,078.00Estimated Ship: 3-5 business days

AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro/PowerBook (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll
Part Number: S2514Z/A

Remove$349.00$349.00Estimated Ship: Within 24 hours

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...ShippingZip?wosid=gQ6I6Q0zkCQf27fk5NC2fuad505
$
Not found
Cart Subtotal:$2,795.90Free Shipping:$0.00Estimated Tax*:$181.75 Estimated Total:$2,977.65

I meant it is 2X the cost of the Dell.

Sartre. I really don't see what you are comparing. A 1.8-1.9 GHz. comp to a 2.2?

Did you make sure to use the education store? The 15 inch MBP you are looking at starts at 1800. Why did you add iWork? You said the dell had 256 MB VRAM so why are you comparing it to the low end MBP at 128?

Sartre. I really don't see what you are comparing. A 1.8-1.9 GHz. comp to a 2.2?

Did you make sure to use the education store? The 15 inch MBP you are looking at starts at 1800. Why did you add iWork? You said the dell had 256 MB VRAM so why are you comparing it to the low end MBP at 128?

I'm comparing the Cost of a Mac to the Cost of a comparable PC. I wasn't aware of an education store through Apple, but I did find it. I"m not advocating either computer...and I just configured it with iWorks to have some kind of Software like Office if you didn't want to go with Microsoft Products. I've heard a lot of people say that Apple is a better piece of hardware, and that their software is equivalent. But, because only Apple makes Apple, there isn't much variance in cost b/c they essentially have a monopoly on Macs.

My general stance was that the individual has to decide what they need the computer for and how much they want to spend on it. I don't own stock in either company....

I've heard a lot of people say that Apple is a better piece of hardware, and that their software is equivalent. But, because only Apple makes Apple, there isn't much variance in cost b/c they essentially have a monopoly on Macs.

Kind of a specious argument, really. Like saying, "BMW is a better car, but there isn't much variance in cost [Ed: whatever that means] because they essentially have a monopoly on BMWs."

Ask any Mac user if they care. Or, for that matter, BMW owners. ;)

Kind of a specious argument, really. Like saying, "BMW is a better car, but there isn't much variance in cost [Ed: whatever that means] because they essentially have a monopoly on BMWs."

Ask any Mac user if they care. Or, for that matter, BMW owners. ;)

Well, lets flush it out. Imagine if you will a pie chart that represents the entire notebook market, and lets say 90% is PC and 10% is Mac. PCs and Macs do compete in the overall notebook market. However, In the PC share of the market there are a lot of competitors fighting for the same PC dollar, which is great because it keeps prices down for the consumer as is the trend we have seen to a certain degree...I would argue that the cost of a PC has gone down from when I was younger. Now, Toshiba, Dell, Gateway, Sony, Innovo (IBM), HP, Alienware, etc. all offer the same relative computing experience. They all pretty much use Windows (some exceptions) and you can run the same software on all PCs (assuming the specs were the same, etc.) across the board. However, Apple offers an entirely different experience, without which we wouldn't even be discussing on this topic. To my knowledge, that experience/product is available exclusively through Apple, so their share of the overall market is theirs alone. There is no other product in that 10% fighting for that 10%. So what does this mean? Mac prices are influenced by the market overall...they cannot charge a significantly higher price compared to PCs or everyone would just use a PC. But, I would argue that there is a premium you pay to use a Mac because there really is only one Mac experience.

The BMW argument doesn't hold water, because I could easily to buy a Mercedes, Audi, Land Rover, Infiniti, or any other luxury car. Perhaps a better analogy would be a better build foreign car compared to a domestic car in the same class.

If I could have bought a Mac Pro, a printer, and the same accessories for price I paid for the Dell, I definitely would have given it more thought (and I did give it a lot of thought...like I said...I went to the Apple store several times, and read up as much as I could). It simply came down to how much could I get for what I wanted to spend.

If I could have bought a Mac Pro, a printer, and the same accessories for price I paid for the Dell, I definitely would have given it more thought

No worries, then. I'm sure you got exactly what you paid for.

No worries, then. I'm sure you got exactly what you paid for.

I don't understand your emotional attachment to a product :confused:

also, I never once said Apple was a bad product. Damn.

E1505 Dual Core
Intel® Core™ DUO T2350 (1.86GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB), Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz
Part Number: Z0EB
2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Apples and oranges, and I don't mean on the PC/Mac side - the Dell Inspiron series is a consumer-line machine, and not directly comparable to the MacBook Pros in durability, weight or price.

If you compare a professional line PC (Latitude D820 or D830, via Dell small business [or other non-home/home-office lines]) to the MacBook Pro, or a regular MacBook (although screen sizes won't be equal) to an Inspiron you will have a much closer comparison.

The last time I checked, the MacBook (non-pros) had a negligible-to-small price premium over Dell (which tends to be among the cheaper PC manufacturers, at least once promotions are factored in) while the MacBook Pros had a pretty significant price premium over Dell or even Lenovo's Thinkpad line.

They're also not really all that comparable in other ways - other folks have noted the 1.86ghz vs. 2.2ghz clock speed difference, which is not insignificant, but the fact that the processors are two generations apart is actually more significant (cache size and front-side-bus speed matter a lot.)

Lastly, adding the cost for readily purchaseable 3rd-party accessories like a mouse or printer to either system is disingenous in my opinion.

For a better comparison, and using your numbers for the Mac:
System - $2078, Applecare - $349, total 2427

Dell Latitude D830 through Small Business, spec'd out as closely as the limited information on the MacBook Pro allowed:
System $1531 (or $1839 pre-discount), CompleteCare damage insurance 3yr $169 (warranty already 3 years) = total $1700

Add $180 to extend warranty and CompleteCare to 4 years if the AppleCare above is for 4 years.
Moving to XP Pro or Vista Business adds about $100 through Dell, and is generally cheaper to do via a student-discount copy of XP/Vista.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.20GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 800Mhz Dual Core edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2, with media edit
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch Wide Screen WSXGA+ LCD Panel edit
MEMORY 2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD™ edit
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 135M™ edit
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Dual-Band Mini Card edit
BLUETOOTH WIRELESS Dell Wireless® 360 Bluetooth Module for Windows XP edit
FINGERPRINT READER OPTION Standard Touchpad edit
BATTERY 6 Cell Primary Battery edit
PRIMARY POWER OPTIONS 90W A/C Adapter edit
FLOPPY DRIVE No Floppy Drive edit
WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year Mail-in Service edit
ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SERVICE Add CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service to 3Yr Lim Warranty edit

You're saying that price is the most important factor in selecting a computer; I disagree. What's "emotional" about that?

Wait a minute....Is this really Steve Jobs posting?

Apples and oranges, and I don't mean on the PC/Mac side - the Dell Inspiron series is a consumer-line machine, and not directly comparable to the MacBook Pros in durability, weight or price.

If you compare a professional line PC (Latitude D820 or D830, via Dell small business [or other non-home/home-office lines]) to the MacBook Pro, or a regular MacBook (although screen sizes won't be equal) to an Inspiron you will have a much closer comparison.

The last time I checked, the MacBook (non-pros) had a negligible-to-small price premium over Dell (which tends to be among the cheaper PC manufacturers, at least once promotions are factored in) while the MacBook Pros had a pretty significant price premium over Dell or even Lenovo's Thinkpad line.

They're also not really all that comparable in other ways - other folks have noted the 1.86ghz vs. 2.2ghz clock speed difference, which is not insignificant, but the fact that the processors are two generations apart is actually more significant (cache size and front-side-bus speed matter a lot.)

Lastly, adding the cost for readily purchaseable 3rd-party accessories like a mouse or printer to either system is disingenous in my opinion.

For a better comparison, and using your numbers for the Mac:
System - $2078, Applecare - $349, total 2427

Dell Latitude D830 through Small Business, spec'd out as closely as the limited information on the MacBook Pro allowed:
System $1531 (or $1839 pre-discount), CompleteCare damage insurance 3yr $169 (warranty already 3 years) = total $1700

Add $180 to extend warranty and CompleteCare to 4 years if the AppleCare above is for 4 years.
Moving to XP Pro or Vista Business adds about $100 through Dell, and is generally cheaper to do via a student-discount copy of XP/Vista.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7500 (2.20GHz) 4M L2 Cache, 800Mhz Dual Core edit
OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Home Edition, SP2, with media edit
LCD PANEL 15.4 inch Wide Screen WSXGA+ LCD Panel edit
MEMORY 2.0GB, DDR2-667 SDRAM, 2 DIMMS edit
HARD DRIVE 120GB Hard Drive, 9.5MM, 5400RPM edit
OPTICAL DRIVE 8X DVD+/-RW w/Roxio and Cyberlink Power DVD™ edit
VIDEO CARD 128MB NVIDIA® Quadro NVS 135M™ edit
WI-FI WIRELESS CARD Intel® 3945 802.11a/g Dual-Band Mini Card edit
BLUETOOTH WIRELESS Dell Wireless® 360 Bluetooth Module for Windows XP edit
FINGERPRINT READER OPTION Standard Touchpad edit
BATTERY 6 Cell Primary Battery edit
PRIMARY POWER OPTIONS 90W A/C Adapter edit
FLOPPY DRIVE No Floppy Drive edit
WARRANTY & SERVICE 3 Year Limited Warranty plus 3 Year Mail-in Service edit
ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SERVICE Add CompleteCare Accidental Damage Service to 3Yr Lim Warranty edit

I added Periphs b/c my point was I got all this for Price X, and all this other stuff from another company that is roughly equivalent would have cost me Y. Didn't mean to be disingenous.

Well, lets flush it out. Imagine if you will a pie chart that represents the entire notebook market, and lets say 90% is PC and 10% is Mac. PCs and Macs do compete in the overall notebook market. However, In the PC share of the market there are a lot of competitors fighting for the same PC dollar, which is great because it keeps prices down for the consumer as is the trend we have seen to a certain degree...I would argue that the cost of a PC has gone down from when I was younger. Now, Toshiba, Dell, Gateway, Sony, Innovo (IBM), HP, Alienware, etc. all offer the same relative computing experience. They all pretty much use Windows (some exceptions) and you can run the same software on all PCs (assuming the specs were the same, etc.) across the board. However, Apple offers an entirely different experience, without which we wouldn't even be discussing on this topic. To my knowledge, that experience/product is available exclusively through Apple, so their share of the overall market is theirs alone. There is no other product in that 10% fighting for that 10%.

I really don't understand this point, Apple is competing directly with Dell et al for consumers.

I recently made the switch to the mac. I did so because:

1. the Mac (black macbook) was cheaper than the comparable Dell
2. the Mac had more unique features (magsafe power adapter, the two-finger trackpad feature for scrolling, a sexy case, slot-loading disc drive, full-size keyboard on a 13' screen/
3. OS X and Windows aren't extremely different in terms of usability. i.e. the switch was very easy.
4. I was able to put windows on my mac using parallels making any "experience" difference an irrelevant point.

Number 3 explains why I don't understand where you are coming from. The Windows and OSX experience really are not that different. Sure there are aesthetic differences, slight organizational differences, and many nuances that differ between the two. There is major behind-the-scenes differences in the os's codes, but these really don't change the experience too much (but definitely make the mac osx experience better due to stability, less viruses etc.) However, think about how you use and interact with a computer. I use Office, web browsers, and music programs mostly on the computer. For me, the mac platform was an easy switch. But like I always mention, you can put windows on your mac to make the platform switch a non-issue. The real difference comes in the hardware which is simply superior in value and quality to other computer manufacturers.

I really don't understand this point, Apple is competing directly with Dell et al for consumers.

I recently made the switch to the mac. I did so because:

1. the Mac (black macbook) was cheaper than the comparable Dell
2. the Mac had more unique features (magsafe power adapter, the two-finger trackpad feature for scrolling, a sexy case, slot-loading disc drive, full-size keyboard on a 13' screen/
3. OS X and Windows aren't extremely different in terms of usability. i.e. the switch was very easy.
4. I was able to put windows on my mac using parallels making any "experience" difference an irrelevant point.

Number 3 explains why I don't understand where you are coming from. The Windows and OSX experience really are not that different. Sure there are aesthetic differences, slight organizational differences, and many nuances that differ between the two. There is major behind-the-scenes differences in the os's codes, but these really don't change the experience too much (but definitely make the mac osx experience better due to stability, less viruses etc.) However, think about how you use and interact with a computer. I use Office, web browsers, and music programs mostly on the computer. For me, the mac platform was an easy switch. But like I always mention, you can put windows on your mac to make the platform switch a non-issue. The real difference comes in the hardware which is simply superior in value and quality to other computer manufacturers.

Right, but my point is that a Toshiba is easily interchangeable with Dell, or Gateway, or X. But I don't think you claim the same for Mac. That restrains the cost of apple in the overall market and keeps their price relative to other machines, but you will still pay a premium to use apple b/c no other system directly competes with them. To my knowledge you cannot run the Mac's OS on anything but an apple.

My bottom line to the OP is to look at YOUR needs, YOUR tendencies of computer use, YOUR $$$ and decide from there.

Wait a minute....Is this really Steve Jobs posting?

So far, the justification for buying a PC in this thread boils down to, "it's what everybody else uses," and "it's cheaper." That's been the case for over twenty years.

Whatever floats your boat.

So far, the justification for buying a PC in this thread boils down to, "it's what everybody else uses," and "it's cheaper." That's been the case for over twenty years.

Whatever floats your boat.

Compatability and Cost are kind of big issues don't you think?

My parents don't pay for my stuff anymore, and I don't wan't to go into more debt than I have to.

On the hardware side, Apple is often more expensive, yes. The "it's what everybody else uses" one doesn't apply to the Intel Macs, since you can always run Windows on the Apple.

But PC hardware also a good bit more diversity of options. *Assuming* Apple happens to offer what you want, Apple makes good hardware.
Want bayable drives on a laptop? No Mac option these days.
Want a tablet? No Mac option, to my recollection, ever.
Want a pointing stick, rather than a touchpad? No Mac option, to my recollection, ever.

Lastly, of course, it's a matter of taste. Quite a few people love Apple's industrial design and will pay more just for that, some people think it's pretty ugly and overrated, and there are many steps in between.

On the software side, it's more a matter of taste and whether one is willing to invest the learning curve into a new OS that you may or may not end up liking better than Windows; there's no big cost difference (although every year or two Apple does charge for the point upgrades.)

Before you say "the MacOS is inherently superior, everyone would like it if they tried it" - when I was a computer science grad student, I got a free loaner PowerBook G4 from my program, and found it a pain in the neck. I returned it after a couple of weeks, despite having to then buy a PC laptop at my own expense. It was worth it.

Don't discount "it's what everybody else uses," though. Economies of scale and network effects are significant here: there's a lot more software out there for Windows. Yes, you can run Windows software under Parallels, or you can dual boot, but that requires the Windows license, potentially the Parallels license, and good luck playing many video games at a decent speed under Parallels.

dammit, people, can we stop arguing about this PC/Apple dilemma?!

The answer is simple. If you are cool and want to retain your coolness, buy an apple. Gosh.

dammit, people, can we stop arguing about this PC/Apple dilemma?!

The answer is simple. If you are cool and want to retain your coolness, buy an apple. Gosh.

*ROFLOL*

While I'm guessing you're making a joke, let me reply seriously...

I agree in this: anyone who views their computer a fashion statement or matter of coolness, rather than a tool or functional toy, would be well served to get a Mac (although Sony and several other companies make silly "fashionable" PCs too)

For the rest of for whom a computer is a tool (or a functional toy), the facts are these days PCs and Macs are technically quite similar, but from a subjective use point of view quite different... and which to buy is really very much a matter of figuring out which tool fits your own preferences, patterns of use, and budget best.

This coming from a recent mac convert (sort of).

If you decide to switch to a mac, it really doesnt make much of a difference nowadays. From my personal experience the learning curve for OS X is pretty easy. It took me less than a week to settle into the operating system. To be honest I was really surprised at how similar OS X and windows really are, so that should not be much of an issue. The differences really arent that much.

For me the difference is in hardware. No one can deny the quality of Apple products, and the effort they put into their design. The imac, for instance, has had basically the same design for the last few years. Any other computer would look extremely dated by now, but my 24" imac would still blow away any other computer out there in terms of aesthetics. The macbook pro also has a "dated" design from the powerbook days, and it still looks much better on any desk tha most other laptops out there. The only place where PC's are better than macs is in upgradability. Other than RAM and hard drives, upgrades are very difficult on a mac. It is possible to change the CPU and the graphics card on the imac, but it is not for the faint of heart.

In terms of quality, Apple also shines there. Although there has been some recent problems reported, especially with their macbook line, they mostly offer quality products. Like it or not there is a reason Apple inspires so many fanatics and fans. No other computer company has people on the edge of their seats, speculating about the next product or software to be released. Google "Apple forums" and you will get hundreds of hits on forums catering to Apple fans. I dont think Dell or HP inspires people that much. When was the last time you saw a media frenzy over the next great Dell inspiron to come out?

As to which is better, OS X or windows? That is really a matter of taste. If you like an operating system that is simple, stable and intuitive, the OS X is a great choice. If you like a more complex experience with more "bells and whistles" then vista ultimate is for you. If you decide on windows then the only version I recommend is ultimate, all the others are basically stripped down versions of the same OS. The great thing is that with macs you have a CHOICE. Lets say you buy a mac and just decide you dont like OS X at all, you can just install Xp or Vista on a boot camp partition and make your windows partition your default partition. That way when you turn in your mac it boots right into windows, the same as any other pc out there (although a nicer looking one). Its pretty easy to do.

If you like a more complex experience with more "bells and whistles" then vista ultimate is for you. If you decide on windows then the only version I recommend is ultimate, all the others are basically stripped down versions of the same OS.

I would strongly suggest that people look carefully at the Windows versions available and make up their own minds. "Stripped down" sounds like a bad thing in one sense, but you can equally easily look at it as Ultimate being bundled with a bunch of crud most people don't need.

In my own opinion, Vista Ultimate offers very little of interest for most users over Home Premium or Business. The only feature that's exclusive to Ultimate (/Enterprise) that people are likely to use is the BitLocker encryption, and that in turn, only if they have laptops.

The other main reason to buy Ultimate is if you need the networking features from Business AND want the multimedia features from Home Premium (mostly things that are done better by third party software in my opinion, interfacing with an XBox 360 aside.)

Lastly, Windows XP is still available from most builder-to-order manufacturers (Dell most notably) and may be a stabler, safer option - a lot of professional IT people recommend waiting for the first Service Pack release of new Microsoft operating systems, and while I do run Vista myself for my personal machine (Business, as I need the incoming remote desktop functionality that Home Premium lacks) there is something to be said for going with the safer choice.

As for the MacOS vs. Windows divide, as you said, it's really a matter of taste.

Thanks!
I've been battling this question for a good little while. I'm a pretty advanced computer builder/user, so I really dont' worry about getting a Mac to avoid viruses. Even the video editing that Mac's are known for can easily done using Avid Video editing software and Soreson Squeeze for final encoding. I even own 2 PCs that I've built myself. But there is just something about a Mac that I can't put my figure on that makes me want one. I think I just really want one because its a different experience. And if you are willing to shell out the cash for that experience I can't knock you. The main selling point for Mac Laptops that is convicing me that I can and shoudl switch over is that I can dual boot the Mac operating system along with Windows Vista. You techically get the best of both worlds. So yeah, even though I'm a die hard PC guy, I'm going to an Apple store this week to buy one.

I heard a newer processor (or something) was coming out soon, but I'm not sure when that is happening.

I've been battling this question for a good little while. I'm a pretty advanced computer builder/user, so I really dont' worry about getting a Mac to avoid viruses. Even the video editing that Mac's are known for can easily done using Avid Video editing software and Soreson Squeeze for final encoding. I even own 2 PCs that I've built myself. But there is just something about a Mac that I can't put my figure on that makes me want one. I think I just really want one because its a different experience. And if you are willing to shell out the cash for that experience I can't knock you. The main selling point for Mac Laptops that is convicing me that I can and shoudl switch over is that I can dual boot the Mac operating system along with Windows Vista. You techically get the best of both worlds. So yeah, even though I'm a die hard PC guy, I'm going to an Apple store this week to buy one.

I heard a newer processor (or something) was coming out soon, but I'm not sure when that is happening.

Get the low end 15 inch MBP. Amazing machine. Try out both the macbooks and the MBP. If I were getting a notebook and not an iMac when they are updated I would be getting that machine. The price is reasonable with the education discount and the components are new.

Is MacMall a reliable site to buy laptops from or is it better to go to the Mac STore? When I apply for financing, I'm not getting approved for enough to walk out the store with the laptop.

What about customer service as part of your purchase considerations?

A friend of mine won't go near another Dell b/c their customer svc is so bad.
There is something to be said for knowing you're going to get the support you need once you buy.

Anyone have much to add about this matter - Apple vs. PC customer svc?

Is MacMall a reliable site to buy laptops from or is it better to go to the Mac STore? When I apply for financing, I'm not getting approved for enough to walk out the store with the laptop.

Years ago that's the only place my family would buy our macs. Now I'd say go to the Apple store or buy at the apple ed store. The education discount is better than macmall and if you buy at the apple store you can take a look at it before you take it home to make sure there are no problems. (You just have to buy the standard configurations).

Not to pull the argument away from PC v. Mac for too long, but I'm in the market to buy as well, and am considering this model from Gateway. It looks like it may be the best buy out there (currently), for the tech v. price comparison. It's a tablet/notebook with 14" widescreen, and very nice stats...Watcha think for that price ($2000.00 with 3yr damage protection warranty)?

Gateway® C-140X
Customized Options
  • Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.20GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
  • Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium (32-bit)
  • Memory 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)
  • Hard Drive 80GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive
  • Optical Drive 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM
  • Chassis w/ ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X2300 HD 256MB PCI Express Graphics (128MB GDDR3 Dedicated Memory with up to 256MB using HyperMemory™ Technology) and Fingerprint Reader
  • Bluetooth Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module
  • Accidental Damage Plan Three years accidental damage plan
  • Adapter 90 Watt AC Adapter
  • Battery Primary 12-Cell Lithium Ion battery w/ 1 Yr. limited battery warranty
  • Display 14.0" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 768 max. resolution) w/ Gateway Executive Stylus w/ Continuous Sensing Technology
  • Expansion Slots One type II PC card slot External Ports (3) USB 2.0, VGA, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
  • Keyboard and Mouse Full-Size Keyboard and EZ Pad® Pointing Device
  • Media Card Reader 7-in-1 media card reader (Memory Stick®, MemoryStick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, xD-Picture Card, Mini Secure Digital®, RS-Multimedia Card™)
  • Modem Integrated V.92 56K modem
  • Network Integrated Intel® 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter
  • Warranty 3 Year Value Plan (Tech Support - Parts - Factory Labor)
  • Wireless Network Integrated Intel® 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless networking
Subtotal:$2,068.98
Instant Discount-$150.00
Est. Shipping & Handling$49.00
Total:$1,967.98

Not to pull the argument away from PC v. Mac for too long, but I'm in the market to buy as well, and am considering this model from Gateway. It looks like it may be the best buy out there (currently), for the tech v. price comparison. It's a tablet/notebook with 14" widescreen, and very nice stats...Watcha think for that price ($2000.00 with 3yr damage protection warranty)?
[/QOUTE]

Looks like a good system - a bit pricy - but as a tablet, you'd expect it to be pricier than a comparable conventional notebook.

Couple of comments regarding the specs:
* How big is the price premium for the T7500 (2.2ghz) over the T7300 (2ghz) for the Gateway? If it's big, it might not be worth it.

* Do they offer a higher-resolution screen than WXGA? My own experience has been that a higher resolution is a very nice thing, although I'm not sure how that would work out with a tablet.

* Do they offer Vista Business with that model? If they do, and it's not too much more expensive, it might be a better option

Gateway® C-140X
Customized Options
  • Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T7500 (2.20GHz, 800MHz, 4MB L2 Cache)
  • Operating System Genuine Windows Vista™ Home Premium (32-bit)
  • Memory 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2-1024MB modules)
  • Hard Drive 80GB 7200rpm Serial ATA hard drive
  • Optical Drive 8x Multi-Format Dual Layer DVD-RW with DVD-RAM
  • Chassis w/ ATI Mobility™ Radeon® X2300 HD 256MB PCI Express Graphics (128MB GDDR3 Dedicated Memory with up to 256MB using HyperMemory™ Technology) and Fingerprint Reader
  • Bluetooth Bluetooth Wireless Networking Module
  • Accidental Damage Plan Three years accidental damage plan
  • Adapter 90 Watt AC Adapter
  • Battery Primary 12-Cell Lithium Ion battery w/ 1 Yr. limited battery warranty
  • Display 14.0" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 768 max. resolution) w/ Gateway Executive Stylus w/ Continuous Sensing Technology
  • Expansion Slots One type II PC card slot External Ports (3) USB 2.0, VGA, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
  • Keyboard and Mouse Full-Size Keyboard and EZ Pad® Pointing Device
  • Media Card Reader 7-in-1 media card reader (Memory Stick®, MemoryStick Pro®, MultiMediaCard™, Secure Digital™, xD-Picture Card, Mini Secure Digital®, RS-Multimedia Card™)
  • Modem Integrated V.92 56K modem
  • Network Integrated Intel® 10/100/1000 Ethernet Adapter
  • Warranty 3 Year Value Plan (Tech Support - Parts - Factory Labor)
  • Wireless Network Integrated Intel® 3945 802.11a/b/g wireless networking
Subtotal:$2,068.98
Instant Discount-$150.00
Est. Shipping & Handling$49.00
Total:$1,967.98
I dont' like that 80GB HDD (it should be bigger) and I personally think that everyone's display should either be 15.4" or 17", but once again, that's personal preference. Basically, this laptop has the same specs as the 15.4" 2.2 GHZ MBP, but its cheaper. When buying PCs, I like to stick with HP, Lenovo, or Toshiba, but if you have heard good stories about Gateway then go for it. But biggest thing is your warrenty; with a good warranty on a laptop (regardless of Brand) you should be straight.

Couple of comments regarding the specs:
* How big is the price premium for the T7500 (2.2ghz) over the T7300 (2ghz) for the Gateway? If it's big, it might not be worth it.

* Do they offer a higher-resolution screen than WXGA? My own experience has been that a higher resolution is a very nice thing, although I'm not sure how that would work out with a tablet.

* Do they offer Vista Business with that model? If they do, and it's not too much more expensive, it might be a better option

The price difference was minimal to go from 2.0 to 2.2...it's huge if you want to go from 2.2 to 2.4 though.

I believe that is the only screen available because of the built-in stylus sensing matrix.

They do offer Vista Business for $99.00 more (or Ultimate for about $150? more).

And the HD can be upgraded to the 100gb 7200 for $100.00. Even with those upgrades I think it's not overpriced vs. the other major tablets (lenovo, hp, etc) because it's got a bigger screen than most (14" v 12.1"), a video card rather than shared vid memory, and a 7200 speed HD vs. 5400 which makes a huge performance difference.

The price difference was minimal to go from 2.0 to 2.2...it's huge if you want to go from 2.2 to 2.4 though.

I believe that is the only screen available because of the built-in stylus sensing matrix.

They do offer Vista Business for $99.00 more (or Ultimate for about $150? more).

Sounds worth going for the 2.2 then.

You might consider the Vista Business upgrade, although it's definitely a "nice to have" not a necessary.

And the HD can be upgraded to the 100gb 7200 for $100.00.

Probably not worth it for a 20gb bump; I can't speak for Gateway in particular, but in general they're one of the easiest pieces of a laptop to upgrade (hardware-wide; copying windows and your data over to a newer one can be very easy or very hard depending on the ease of getting at a desktop and the right software.)

Even with those upgrades I think it's not overpriced vs. the other major tablets (lenovo, hp, etc) because it's got a bigger screen than most (14" v 12.1"), a video card rather than shared vid memory, and a 7200 speed HD vs. 5400 which makes a huge performance difference.

Good to note. I'd actually forgotten that there weren't many (any other?) 14" tablets and that's a big plus.