Technology Mac vs. Windows laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about customer service as part of your purchase considerations?

A friend of mine won't go near another Dell b/c their customer svc is so bad.
There is something to be said for knowing you're going to get the support you need once you buy.

Anyone have much to add about this matter - Apple vs. PC customer svc?

It's tough to compare Apple vs. PC support because most experience is anecdotal. I have AppleCare but haven't used it because I haven't had any problems with my MBP. I had an HP laptop previously that had 2 major hardware problems (dvd drive was a lemon, and a power/fan issue). The first was handled well by HP...got a new one through the mail within a week. The second was handled VERY well by Circuit City's extended warranty...got my fixed computer back in two days through the mail. I don't think Circuit City uses the same company for their extended warranty anymore, however.

Members don't see this ad.

This coming from a recent mac convert (sort of).

If you decide to switch to a mac, it really doesnt make much of a difference nowadays. From my personal experience the learning curve for OS X is pretty easy. It took me less than a week to settle into the operating system. To be honest I was really surprised at how similar OS X and windows really are, so that should not be much of an issue. The differences really arent that much.

For me the difference is in hardware. No one can deny the quality of Apple products, and the effort they put into their design. The imac, for instance, has had basically the same design for the last few years. Any other computer would look extremely dated by now, but my 24" imac would still blow away any other computer out there in terms of aesthetics. The macbook pro also has a "dated" design from the powerbook days, and it still looks much better on any desk tha most other laptops out there. The only place where PC's are better than macs is in upgradability. Other than RAM and hard drives, upgrades are very difficult on a mac. It is possible to change the CPU and the graphics card on the imac, but it is not for the faint of heart.

In terms of quality, Apple also shines there. Although there has been some recent problems reported, especially with their macbook line, they mostly offer quality products. Like it or not there is a reason Apple inspires so many fanatics and fans. No other computer company has people on the edge of their seats, speculating about the next product or software to be released. Google "Apple forums" and you will get hundreds of hits on forums catering to Apple fans. I dont think Dell or HP inspires people that much. When was the last time you saw a media frenzy over the next great Dell inspiron to come out?

As to which is better, OS X or windows? That is really a matter of taste. If you like an operating system that is simple, stable and intuitive, the OS X is a great choice. If you like a more complex experience with more "bells and whistles" then vista ultimate is for you. If you decide on windows then the only version I recommend is ultimate, all the others are basically stripped down versions of the same OS. The great thing is that with macs you have a CHOICE. Lets say you buy a mac and just decide you dont like OS X at all, you can just install Xp or Vista on a boot camp partition and make your windows partition your default partition. That way when you turn in your mac it boots right into windows, the same as any other pc out there (although a nicer looking one). Its pretty easy to do.

Operating system differences aside, it seems that one of the major points which keeps coming up is the overall superiority of Mac products in terms of quality. Everyone says they're built better and last longer than your average PC. How does the build quality of a Mac compare to a higher end PC like Lenovo?

Operating system differences aside, it seems that one of the major points which keeps coming up is the overall superiority of Mac products in terms of quality. Everyone says they're built better and last longer than your average PC. How does the build quality of a Mac compare to a higher end PC like Lenovo?

I use a Thinkpad as my laptop and I have to say that it is of very good quality. Although it is "old" (3 years old) it still keeps on ticking without any problems whatsoever. Fom my experience with both products, I would say Apple and lenovo products are equal in regards to quality. Thinkpads are pretty rugged, mine has fallen from high places and it kept working without any problems.
If you absolutely want a pc then thinkpads are excellent laptops.
Although my thinkpad has served me well for the last couple of years, I think its time for a new laptop. I will probably get me a black macbook as soon as Apple rolls out the next generation macbooks.

The only reasons I am getting one over a new thinkpad is because (to me) macbooks look nicer plus I have the advantage of having two OS's on one computer. Thinkpads are nice, but after having one for that last couple of years the case design just looks "dated" to me. In the end, its a personal decision as to what you are looking for in a computer and what gives you the most satisfaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been a Mac user for years now. Heck, I'll toss this out there right away, I used to work for an Apple Retail store before med school. Okay my bias is completely out in the open now :D
All kidding aside, compatibility is not an issue anymore. I'm not talking parallel and boot camp (they are nice if you MUST put Windoze on your Mac). Office for Mac Student/Teacher edition is priced to own ($149 with a $25 mail in rebate now). This edition comes with the Full versions of Word, Excel and PPT mind you. These are the programs you'll most likely be using so compatibility is a moot point now. If you have MP3's of your lecture then iTunes can handle them. When you spec out a Mac:

Macbooks are entry level/consumer model (Get at least 100GB hard drive)
Macbook Pros are the high techie line (New LED screen, saves energy)
1Gig RAM is great, upgrade to 2Gig but not thru the Apple store (RAM is WAY over priced). I got cheap RAM by going thru dealram.com
Make sure you shop the online Education store:
http://www.apple.com/education/store
Office for Mac Academic Flavor
$100 Printer rebate
"Free" Nano (or up to $179 rebate towards purchase of any iPod)

You have 1 year to purchase the AppleCare so don't feel pressured to get it the first day. It is worth it believe me, especially with the student discount.
Remember, if you're near an Apple store you can take your Mac there for service, troubleshooting, or one on one help if you need it. Can you get that from Lenovo, Sony, HP or Dell (forget their kiosks in the malls they are useless) Nope you can't!

I'll say this about PCs: I like the Tablet PCs. My friend has an HP and loves it! Its about the size of my 12" PB so it is very compact and easy to carry.

If you want stability, ease of use and a quality product with great support then go for a Mac. If you're not happy with the limited color selection Speck See Thru cases come in a variety of brilliant colors for the MB and MBP's.
Just my $0.02...
Feel free to PM or IM me with any questions.
-Cheers
Steve
UNECOM 2010

You have 1 year to purchase the AppleCare so don't feel pressured to get it the first day. It is worth it believe me, especially with the student discount.
Remember, if you're near an Apple store you can take your Mac there for service, troubleshooting, or one on one help if you need it. Can you get that from Lenovo, Sony, HP or Dell (forget their kiosks in the malls they are useless) Nope you can't!

Question from a new (~2 months) Mac user: I didn't purchase Apple Care (the employee kinda made fun of me and told me I was the first person that day to buy a computer w/o AppleCare:oops:), but what typically goes wrong with MacBooks that would warrant me really wanting to put up the money for the extended warranty? I'm using my Mac ALOT, with frequent recharges and I move it around alot...

Question from a new (~2 months) Mac user: I didn't purchase Apple Care (the employee kinda made fun of me and told me I was the first person that day to buy a computer w/o AppleCare:oops:), but what typically goes wrong with MacBooks that would warrant me really wanting to put up the money for the extended warranty? I'm using my Mac ALOT, with frequent recharges and I move it around alot...

It's not that there's anything wrong with MacBooks, it's just that they're portable (which means that they'll probably take a beating, whether you intend them to or not), and you'll likely want to keep them a lot longer than one year. Repairs after the one-year warranty runs out are expensive. If you have a problem that involves a major component like the display, keyboard, or logic board (face it, there's not much more to the machine than that), your AppleCare more than paid for itself.

You can debate whether you really need AppleCare on a desktop machine, but for laptops, I think it's almost mandatory.

I and many others think extended warranties are bull. The reason Apple's is slightly more compelling is that you only get 90 days of software support. If you don't know what you're doing, I could see how you might need this. Otherwise though, it's likely that whatever part goes out will be equal to or less than the price of the warranty. At $183 for an education MacBook (I believe), any hard drive/RAM could be replaced for less than that. If it's some kind of logic board problem, that's still likely to occur within a year of buying the thing.

Think about all of the products that you would buy extended warranties on. Now, consider the savings you get by not buying them, then subtract the cost of repairs to things that go bad after the manufacturer's warranty. Over your entire lifetime of buying products, I highly doubt that number is going to be negative. Companies push these things because they are serious moneymakers.

It's not that there's anything wrong with MacBooks, it's just that they're portable (which means that they'll probably take a beating, whether you intend them to or not), and you'll likely want to keep them a lot longer than one year. Repairs after the one-year warranty runs out are expensive. If you have a problem that involves a major component like the display, keyboard, or logic board (face it, there's not much more to the machine than that), your AppleCare more than paid for itself.

You can debate whether you really need AppleCare on a desktop machine, but for laptops, I think it's almost mandatory.
While I see your point, and it's certainly valid, I think it's also notable that AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage as some other manufacturers' warranties do. Normal wear and tear might cause something like the display to go out in less than three years, but I would bet the more likely scenario is going to be that you damage it by accidentally dropping it. In that case, you've spent a bunch of money on the extended warranty for nothing.

Everyone should do what they're comfortable with, but I'm not a buyer of extended warranties for the points I listed earlier. I don't think you're going to save money over the long haul.

I'm not a buyer of extended warranties for the points I listed earlier. I don't think you're going to save money over the long haul.

I don't buy extended warranties on anything but laptops. So far, I'm glad I did.

I don't buy extended warranties on anything but laptops. So far, I'm glad I did.
Straight from Consumer Reports.

Basically, AppleCare is a good deal if you want it for the phone support. Otherwise, it's just like any other warranty. Being a computer enthusiast, I don't anticipate calling anybody for tech support, as I usually know as much or more than they do. Not a good deal for me, but for the non-geeks, it is something to consider. :)

HAHA! I'm not surprised. Employees are "graded" on their attach rates. NO this does NOT mean commission or bonus or anything for that matter. Its like an internal attaboy/girl system. N E Ways, that person laughed as a way to try and make you think you should buy APP (Applecare) right away.
Macbooks are good machines. A lot of the bugs have been worked out since the 1st gen. Just take care of it and you'll be fine. No coffee baths or flying leaps from your arms. Extended warranties are great and most useful for laptops from my own personal experiences. You have the 1-year limited warranty right out of the box. This is good enough for now. If you have issues with software just go to your schools IT department for help. Or, find a fellow Mac lover for some help. We're usually lurking about;)
As you have seen above some people like a security blanket on their investment while others feel its a waste. Personally, I like the saying "better safe than sorry" when it comes to my computers.