MacBook Air vs. Pro for residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1168269

I’m noticing a lot of residents need to access the EMR on their laptops. Are there any differences between an Air vs. Pro when it comes to working on the EMR or looking at imaging? I had a 2019 MacBook Air during my SUBI and I was definitely having a lot of EMR issues, but the residents were telling me that’s because of the hospital wifi.

Members don't see this ad.

I think in general PCs work better for remote access since the EMRs are really designed for PCs, not to mention all the computers in the hospital are PCs and IT knows how to troubleshoot PC issues better.

With that said I had/still have a Macbook and remote access was rarely an issue. Considering that Macbook Pros and Airs are using the same OS, I can't see any legitimate difference between the two with regards to remote access.

Reactions: 1 user
It probably depends on how the EMR on the laptop is handled... I don't think the EMR environment (like Epic software) will actually be installed on the laptop, and access will most likely be facilitated via a virtual machine (like VMWare or similar). With regards to that, it doesn't matter if it's a PC or a Mac...

I'm a student and am using a Macbook Air to do everything EMR related. It works perfectly. Our facilities use Epic and they let us install Haiku on our phones - super helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go with the Air. It's cheaper and lighter. It allows you to do whatever you need during residency on it. I used the air through med school and residency without any issues.

Your 2019 AIR is not the barrier here. Even with a pretty weak CPU it shouldn't have issues opening and running cerner or epic. Neither of them are asking the CPU to do complex calculations. So basically a potato can run them.

Regarding Pro v.s Air. I'd go with Air. It's lighter and the processor is only 10-15% slower than the pro's.

Unless you anticipate needing to run a very CPU heavy process and industry level production, ex. encrypting or video editing. There's no gain in the step up to the Pro. You'll notice some improvement in speed going to the air though. And it'll be more future proofed.

Comp Bio MD/PhD student who has an unhealthy interest in computers here.

The pro vs air debate boils down to whether you need the increased RAM and improved processing. You need to be someone you either codes frequently, edits videos frequently, or some other demanding task to actually use the power you're paying for.

The air will handle 99% of what you throw at it. To me the 1% it can't handle isn't worth the extra money.