Macbook Air?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joker937

UCLA SOD 2021
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I'm about to finalize my purchase on a laptop for dental school. I had a Macbook Air that almost lasted 5 years (someone broke it w/ raspberry pi). I really want to buy another Macbook Air.

Pros:
1. Cost: $850 plus tax (with student discount) + free $300 Beats Headphones I can sell for at least $250, so comes down to $600 plus tax.
2. Lightweight
3. Excellent customer service from Apple Genius Bar
4. fast, dependable

Cons:
1. Old technology :(

I'm also looking at the MacBook, but it's SUPER expensive! It's like $1,250 (with the student discount), so minus the headphones profit it's $1,000 plus tax. Is the MacBook worth the $400? I'm just worried about the old technology in the Macbook Air. I know they're going to phase it out soon.

Also looking into iPad Pro, but I love having a computer. Thanks, guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Try craigslist. You can usually find a pretty good deal for a newer great condition laptop.

Swappa

Buy a 2012 ish Macbook Pro, install a Samsung 850 EVO SSD and it will fly :)

Along with an i5 processor with 8 gigs of RAM...everything you need...nothing you don't...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do not get an iPad. Trust me it does not replace a laptop. As for the Air, I personally prefer the Mac Book more. Yes it's 400$ more but I'd rather use something that doesn't feel like I'm going to snap in half with my pinky finger.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't really recommend cheaping out on technology as it will get outdated. My 2015 macbook has trouble keeping up with day to day web activities that I perform. If I were to do it again I would have paid 300 extra, or at least 100 extra for a better processor at the time when I ordered it. I can't imagine how a macbook air would keep up if my macbook pro falls short every now and then

Reactions: 1 user
Please don't spend that much money on such an old computer. Not worth it. The screen they use on that laptop is from like 2012, and the already slow processor is 2 years old, as is the SSD and RAM. That all adds up to a slow experience in a couple years.

I suggest a Dell XPS 13, for the price it's a fantastic computer.

If you absolutely need Mac OS, I suggest going for a 2015 MacBook Pro 15 inch. It is still pricy, but worth the investment in my opinion. They are highly powered and will last you despite being 2 years old. A lot of schools don't support the touchbar macs so avoid them. Plus, USB-C accessory adoption is still at its early stages.

the real question is what are you going to use it for? if you are using it for ppt and taking notes, school stuff, etc it doesn't really matter what you use because it will all be the same. It's not like you need a power house to check emails or MS word. Now if you are going to use it to play LoL (like i did) or dota, then go with the big guns.

I assume you will be taking out loans for school. So you would be taking out a loan on a depreciating asset, which is the computer. Apple computers depreciate the slowest and have by far the best resale value. So buying a 1-2 year old Macbook pro for $700-$900 will resale in 2-3 for close to the same price. For example, I bought a late 2013 Macbook pro at the beginning of 2015 for $800 and I could resell it very quick and easy for about $700. Buying a new Macbook pro is better than buying any other brand based on the rate it depreciates. But it would be even better to buy a used Macbook pro that already took the 'as soon as you leave the lot it loses value' depreciation.

Thanks, everyone! I don't want a Macbook Pro because it's too heavy (I have a bad back), and my limit is 3 pounds. Also, I would not buy a used laptop.

Thanks for your guys' input! My school doesn't care what I get. I really don't need anything to do fancy stuff with. I'm going to invest in a good gaming computer, so I'm going with the Macbook Air since it will only be like $600 plus tax.

I have a MacBook from 2011 that I upgraded to SSD and 8GB of memory. I'm still on 10.6 and I have no problems with anything at all. All you're going to need it for is the internet, Word and PowerPoint. I will be using it for dental school, until it dies, lol.

I'd go with the cheapest option. Dental school is already expensive.

Go with the retina! Great machine and worth the price. Otherwise, I'd say go for the iPad Pro. I've heard good things about it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile