Macbook vs. Surface Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RJvet

Reaction score
Hi friends! I will most likely be attending Western this year and am looking for a new laptop. I have had my macbook air for 6+ years and may just get a newer model. I am also considering a surface pro, for the flexibility of using it as a tablet for note taking.

My main concern for the surface pro is that it has that kickstand in order to use it as a laptop and that I won't be able to use it on any surface other than a table (not on the couch or just in my lap).

What are your experiences with either computer? What made it good/bad for school purposes? Battery life?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I switched from a MacBook to a Surface Pro and hated it. Ended up selling and getting a newer MacBook. The price of the Surface is tempting and it is a great computer and light/small. But the kickstand thing really got me. I even dropped it, cracking the screen horribly bc i tried to balance it on my knees once (against my better judgement). I did not like the keyboard, I found that it greatly slowed my typing down. And it was harder to adjust the screen in accordance to my slouching that day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a Surface Pro and I love it, especially with the surface pen I can annotate on the screen.With the cover keyboard and case, I can bring it anywhere.

I have a Surface Pro and I love it, especially with the surface pen I can annotate on the screen.With the cover keyboard and case, I can bring it anywhere.
Have you had any problems importing PowerPoints into one note?

I didn’t seem to struggle with the kickstand issue with the surface pro, I was no more careful with it than my MacBook. I did sit outside one day studying and came back inside to have the screen crack to where the touchscreen was useless (stupid on my part but it wasn’t that big of a temp difference). The keyboard is small but you get use to it (I personally prefer a full size keyboard for typing for long periods). Also had issues with the charger after it was a little over a year old- wouldn’t charge unless it was completely dead and had to be off to charge.

I got it for the purpose of doing notes, had some issues with one note, but my biggest issue was that I write fairly small (and messy) and it really slowed me down. Maybe the programming for it is better now (mine is probably 2 years old), but that was the biggest letdown to me personally.

I didn’t seem to struggle with the kickstand issue with the surface pro, I was no more careful with it than my MacBook. I did sit outside one day studying and came back inside to have the screen crack to where the touchscreen was useless (stupid on my part but it wasn’t that big of a temp difference). The keyboard is small but you get use to it (I personally prefer a full size keyboard for typing for long periods). Also had issues with the charger after it was a little over a year old- wouldn’t charge unless it was completely dead and had to be off to charge.

I got it for the purpose of doing notes, had some issues with one note, but my biggest issue was that I write fairly small (and messy) and it really slowed me down. Maybe the programming for it is better now (mine is probably 2 years old), but that was the biggest letdown to me personally.
It cracked from the heat?

Have you had any problems importing PowerPoints into one note?

I haven't had any problem with PowerPoints, but I have had problems importing a couple PDFs to One Note. I ended up converting the PDFs to Word docs then import them.

I had a problem importing to one note from ppt (totally forgot ab that). It would take so long to load! As I went down the one note slides, some of them remained blank throughout the whole class! I ended up having to take notes on a blank word document. This happened multiple times, esp with large imports.

I had a problem importing to one note from ppt (totally forgot ab that). It would take so long to load! As I went down the one note slides, some of them remained blank throughout the whole class! I ended up having to take notes on a blank word document. This happened multiple times, esp with large imports.
I really really like windows and the feel of the surface pen, but I'm scared I'm going run into problems with PowerPoints going into one note. I don't like the feel of the Apple pencil, so Im hesitant to get a iPad pro.

Just FYI Macs and Surfaces are not the only great options out there.
I just got myself an HP Spectre x360. It's a really light weight thin laptop that has 360 degree hinges so I can flip the screen into a tablet with the touch screen. I got mine with higher specs so I could play games etc too and cost me $1200. And it comes with the pen/stylus included.

Haven't started vet school yet, so I can't vouch for it's fitness though.

I think what it comes down to if you are looking between Apple and Microsoft is the operating system. I hate IOS so that was not an option for me, annnnd the cost. And Surfaces were much too overpriced compared to the very comparable HP laptops. (And I heard have had other issues)

It cracked from the heat?
I guess the temperature change from outside to inside?? But it wasn’t that warm out, and I mean that could happen if you leave it in your car and take it inside so...

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't had any issues with importing into OneNote at all :shrug:

I'm hearing probably 3/4 of the people I ask say they've had no problems, so I'm guessing the people who have had problems were trying to import really large files. Idk. I'm a windows person so I'm probably going to get one

I think what it comes down to if you are looking between Apple and Microsoft is the operating system. I hate IOS so that was not an option for me, annnnd the cost. And Surfaces were much too overpriced compared to the very comparable HP laptops. (And I heard have had other issues)
I’m laughing here because your laptop was the same price as a 13” MacBook Pro :laugh:

Also, OP like MSU said there’s a lot of other options out there besides MacBooks and surfaces. I’ve heard lots of people like the different Lenovo 2 in 1 laptops. My mom has some sort of Lenovo yoga that she likes, but hers isn’t for vet school obviously.

There've been a couple threads on similar topics recently. First one is originally from 2013 but the last 3 or so pages are recent.
New Computer for Vet School?

iPad Pro v Surface Pro

I’m laughing here because your laptop was the same price as a 13” MacBook Pro :laugh:
Shhhh my distaste for iOS runs so deep it blinds me. Lol
Also MacBooks aren't touch screen.

I'm hearing probably 3/4 of the people I ask say they've had no problems, so I'm guessing the people who have had problems were trying to import really large files. Idk. I'm a windows person so I'm probably going to get one
Yeah I'm able to directly import powerpoint and word files with no issue, and some of those are like...over 100 slides. With pdf's I just have to print to onenote because it doesn't like to insert the file directly, but that's really no more difficult.

I love the surface. It is a little small and lightweight to use as an actual laptop. Normally if I am not at a desk, I am using it in a touch format and just reviewing material, so it isn't really an issue. If I need the keyboard, I am more often at a desk. I also love the new pen. The Surface Pro is so much better than the garbage Lenovo Thinkpads that were issued to the class.

Reactions: 1 user
In just to add I have a surface and use it on my lap all the time on the couch. No issues with the kickstand making it awkward. I've been doing that for 3 years now with the only side effect being a weird red line on my thighs if I wore shorts haha

Reactions: 1 user
Just FYI Macs and Surfaces are not the only great options out there.
I just got myself an HP Spectre x360. It's a really light weight thin laptop that has 360 degree hinges so I can flip the screen into a tablet with the touch screen. I got mine with higher specs so I could play games etc too and cost me $1200. And it comes with the pen/stylus included.

Haven't started vet school yet, so I can't vouch for it's fitness though.

Just FYI iOS is the operating system for iPhones and iPads, not MacBooks. The computers use MacOS.

I don't think most people get straight MacBooks. I wouldn't anyways, they are underpowered and undercooled for the price.

I don't think you can go wrong with buying a MacBook Pro, unless you absolutely need a touch screen or price is your #1 concern.

I used a MacBook Pro 2013 all through undergrad but needed a new one for vet school. I considered other brands like Lenovo but in the end, I knew I loved MacOS and was just way more comfortable with it. I do not regret my decision at all, but I truly feel like I may have if I had not bought a Mac. That being said, you may be much more adaptable to using a different operating system or really want the touch capabilities. As for battery, I don't need to bring my charger to class, it can last 8 hours. This may change as the computer ages of course.

I wouldn't recommend an iPad as your main device, though I know some people get away with it and like it. They just don't have the power/flexibility/capability that you get with macOS. Though surfaces are basically comparable to laptops, iPads aren't imo.

Apple has MacBooks and then MacBook pros. There is a large difference between the two, even though their names are stupidly similar.

MacBooks have subpar processors, no fan, a smaller screen, etc etc.
But MacBook pros are a step up in price for sure.

MSU's computer is around the same price as a MacBook, but likely has specs more like the MacBook Pro.

Looks like I misread your post. You said pro.

But the pros are more expensive than $1200.

Edit the newest MacBook pros start at $1800. Older models are still available for cheaper tho

Apple has MacBooks and then MacBook pros. There is a large difference between the two, even though their names are stupidly similar.

MacBooks have subpar processors, no fan, a smaller screen, etc etc.
But MacBook pros are a step up in price for sure.

MSU's computer is around the same price as a MacBook, but likely has specs more like the MacBook Pro.
Uh no it’s the same price as a 13” MacBook Pro.

No. Without education pricing the 13” pro is $1299. It’s literally the same cost. And then with education pricing you knock the tiniest bit off and it’s $1249.
Dunno in what world you live in that $1300 is the same as $1200 but :shrug:. Going to leave this thread, again. Like so many, it's just not worth it :laugh:

Dunno in what world you live in that $1300 is the same as $1200 but :shrug:. Going to leave this thread, again. Like so many, it's just not worth it :laugh:
It’s a fifty dollar difference after education pricing and they usually have back to school deals around school time too. And if they release a new model, then the old model price drops more. A $600 difference is significant. A $50 difference is not.

Reactions: 1 users