Made a Bad Decision: Fix it or Leave it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredpt000

Reaction score
So here's what I'm dealing with at the moment. Last fall, I applied to two DPT programs (a state school and an out-of-state private school). I was accepted into the state school first, as they did rolling admissions, and I ultimately ended up declining my offer. My decision was very rushed and not financially smart, as the school's tuition is around 45k total. The reason I declined was because the school was in the middle of nowhere, literally. But I now realize that that shouldn't have been such a dealbreaker for me. Why? Because the private school I later got accepted into has a tuition of almost 100k. Not to mention, the cost of living in the area ranges from 1000-1300 for a 1 bedroom apt, versus the cheaper cost of living at the state school in a rural area. At the time of me applying, I wasn't aware that the tuition was this high (their site is not updated). I was expecting about 75k, which is what the site said. I tried emailing the admissions committee at the state school and they basically said their class is full for the class of 2023 and I would have to reapply. I've accepted my admissions offer at the private school, but I'm starting to think that taking a gap year and reapplying would save me financially in the long run. It honestly just sucks that PTCAS deletes all your information and I would basically have to start the entire process again. I also don't know what I would do in my year off lol. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest taking the year off. Even though you should have taken the state school offer, it is in the past and there is nothing you can do at this point. Waiting one year is much more worth being in $55k+interest debt for 10+ years after you graduate. You can gain a rehab tech job in the gap year and actually build a savings to live off of once you're ready for PT school again. Trust me, the opportunity is great at the moment, but don't make another rushed, rash decision because an outrageously expensive school is dangling an acceptance in front of your face. Who knows, you could reapply next year and gain admittance into a cheap school that is not in a rural area. Better things come to those who wait.

It depends on how confident you are that you will get accepted to the cheaper school next year. Also, their tuition may (and very likely) go up. Is there a possibility for you start your private school and transfer to the cheaper school where you got accepted when they loose a student or someone drops out after the 1st year?
If you decide to take a year off, it would be better not to work as a PT aide since aides get minimal pay rate. Not sure where else you could work and how much money you could make and save during that year. If the only jobs you are qualified for are low paid, it may not be worth waiting for 1 year to possibly get accepted to a cheaper school. Make financial calculations, weigh the risk of not getting accepted to a cheaper school... Take your time and do not say NO to the private school until the very last minute to make sure you are not making another rushed decision.
And yes, it should not be a deal breaker if a school is in the middle of nowhere. You are not going to go out much while in PT school anyway since you will need to study every day.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So here's what I'm dealing with at the moment. Last fall, I applied to two DPT programs (a state school and an out-of-state private school). I was accepted into the state school first, as they did rolling admissions, and I ultimately ended up declining my offer. My decision was very rushed and not financially smart, as the school's tuition is around 45k total. The reason I declined was because the school was in the middle of nowhere, literally. But I now realize that that shouldn't have been such a dealbreaker for me. Why? Because the private school I later got accepted into has a tuition of almost 100k. Not to mention, the cost of living in the area ranges from 1000-1300 for a 1 bedroom apt, versus the cheaper cost of living at the state school in a rural area. At the time of me applying, I wasn't aware that the tuition was this high (their site is not updated). I was expecting about 75k, which is what the site said. I tried emailing the admissions committee at the state school and they basically said their class is full for the class of 2023 and I would have to reapply. I've accepted my admissions offer at the private school, but I'm starting to think that taking a gap year and reapplying would save me financially in the long run. It honestly just sucks that PTCAS deletes all your information and I would basically have to start the entire process again. I also don't know what I would do in my year off lol. Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
How could you not know the tuition before applying lol? Well I hope the state school won't hold it against you for declining their acceptance offer when you reapply next year.

How could you not know the tuition before applying lol? Well I hope the state school won't hold it against you for declining their acceptance offer when you reapply next year.
They said in their post, "(their site is not updated). I was expecting about 75k, which is what the site said." It is not unreasonable to base one's cost assessment on the costs listed on the school's site.

They said in their post, "(their site is not updated). I was expecting about 75k, which is what the site said." It is not unreasonable to base one's cost assessment on the costs listed on the school's site.
I fail to understand how 75k from the previous year (assuming the site is at least up-to-date since the last cycle) can turn into 100k for this year's application cycle.

I fail to understand how 75k from the previous year (assuming the site is at least up-to-date since the last cycle) can turn into 100k for this year's application cycle.
That's probably what they failed to understand, as well. It does assume that the site is up-to-date for the last cycle.