made a boo-boo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alittlestory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ouch. Well guys, I did it- I applied to 2 diff specialties at one hospital and today felt really really really embarassed.

You see, Sept 1st I applied for an uber competitive specialty that I'm doing a research year in.... CHOICE A

By Oct 15th- only had a handful of interviews, so decided to apply for other specialties that interest me...CHOICE B

Today, took the time to write to all CHOICE B schools that I hadn't heard from...To which I recieved a frosty message from a particular program coordinator:
.Hi ****.
.It is nice to hear from you again. Unfortunately, we are both very busy next week and would prefer to decline your offer to visit. We understand your interest in our program at XYZ and we have extended our interview slots at this time. We think it would be nonproductive for you to visit and hope you realize that we appreciate your application and email detailing your credentials. You are very qualified for a position and I am sure you will obtain your goal, if not in CHOICE A then CHOICE B. We wish you luck in your future endeavors..
.**********.
Now, the thing is- I am going to interview at CHOICE A next week. Did I just blow it? Should I cancel my plane ticket and hotel reservation? I'm super embarassed- and feel sorta defeated before I even get there.

Any suggestions to make the best of this sticky situation?

Members don't see this ad.

Busted.

I say go on the CHOICE A interview and do the best you can. Come clean when asked about applying to CHOICE B as a backup – and you WILL get asked. Obviously, CHOICE B doesn't like being thought of as a backup. Who does? However, CHOICE A may not really care about what CHOICE B thinks.

And if CHOICE A is as ultra-competitive as you say it is, don’t think you should cancel anything.

ah yes, completely busted.

i was mortified for a good 20 minutes after reading her email.

you're right, i'm gonna suck it up and just do the best i can... I know at first glance it doesn't make sense to forfeit a super-competitive interview...

But you see just getting to this Choice A interview is going to be so expensive and such a pain...I'm missing the resident social (earlier interview in the day, flight times dont allow for it)

so if it's futile from the get-go, maybe I should just let this one go... conundrum.

Do it! And don't worry about missing the resident social - those are for you to get a sense of the program, not the other way around. You're not missing any extra brownie points.

Do it! And don't worry about missing the resident social - those are for you to get a sense of the program, not the other way around. You're not missing any extra brownie points.

I agree that the OP should go ahead and attending the interview, but I respectfully disagree about the importance of the social. In many programs, it will be the best chance for the applicants and residents to meet each other and get a feel for personality fit. When my residents give me their applicant evaluation feedback, it's largely based on their impressions at the social. It's completely understandable that travel arrangements sometimes preclude attendance, but when that happens the applicant needs to make a special effort to connect with the residents during their interview day.

I don't necessarily think you're "busted". The match clearly allows application into multiple specialties. Every program is watching out for itself hence, every applicant should be watching out for himself or herself as well.

I'd say go to your interview and do your best. Granted Choice B program don't like the idea of being considered a backup but you didn't do anything wrong legally, morally or ethically hence you shouldn't entertain any feeling of guilt or embarrassment.

Don't worry. There is still tons of FP programs which have given out all their invites.

I don't necessarily think you're "busted". The match clearly allows application into multiple specialties. Every program is watching out for itself hence, every applicant should be watching out for himself or herself as well.

Not busted in the NRMP match violation sense. Technically you’re correct that the OP did nothing wrong. However there have been numerous threads here in the past cautioning candidates about applying to multiple specialties at the same hospital – because the chance of being found out are higher. If a choice B program catches you applying to choice A, it tells them that you perhaps aren’t fully committed to their particular specialty; that you may try to transfer the moment a choice A spot somewhere else becomes available. In that sense, because you are a flight risk, you will not make choice B’s rank list.

Absolutely – programs are looking out for themselves. You need to take that into account. Get busted enough, then you stand a chance of not matching in either your preferred or backup specialty.

Busted, yes but its ok. If you are applying to a very competitive subspecialty it is smart to apply to another specialty as backup. You should absolutely go to the interview and if it comes up just be honest and explain why you are applying to both. I'm not sure what the specialties are but I'm applying to ER which is competitive too and I applied to a few pediatrics programs as well. I could always do peds ER in the end. I didnt apply to programs at the same institution to avoid the situation you are in but I know of people who have and if the specialties are somewhat related it should not be a problem. For example, if I go to a pediatric interview and they know I am applying to ER I can say my ultimate goal is the do pediatric ER and I am applying both routes. It'll work out!