Made Mistake on AMCAS! Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

daisydaisie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my amcas two weeks ago and I just noticed that I made a mistake on my work/activities section. I said: "Shadowing Dr. Blah Blah starting in July. Observe variety of patient-physician interaction." I forgot to put in the word "Will" as in, "Will observe." At the time of submission, I hadn't started shadowing this Dr. Blah yet. Should I email each school to update them or just see if it comes up later on? I know I can't update with AMCAS. I'm trying not to be a neurotic pre-med, but I'm super worried that they'll think I'm trying to lie since it sounds like I had already started when I submitted!

Any advice would be appreciated! thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I submitted my amcas two weeks ago and I just noticed that I made a mistake on my work/activities section. I said: "Shadowing Dr. Blah Blah starting in July. Observe variety of patients and physician interaction with both children and adults." I forgot to put in the word "Will" as in, "Will observe." At the time of submission, I hadn't started shadowing this Dr. Blah yet. Should I email each school to update them or just see if it comes up later on? I know I can't update with AMCAS. I'm trying not to be a neurotic pre-med, but I'm super worried that they'll think I'm trying to lie since it sounds like I had already started when I submitted!

The date range you listed was correct, right? Plus you said, "starting in July." Don't worry about it.

Funny story, the one and only typo in my primary is in the last sentence of my PS. I wrote "now" instead of "know." :)

I submitted my amcas two weeks ago and I just noticed that I made a mistake on my work/activities section. I said: "Shadowing Dr. Blah Blah starting in July. Observe variety of patients and physician interaction with both children and adults." I forgot to put in the word "Will" as in, "Will observe." At the time of submission, I hadn't started shadowing this Dr. Blah yet. Should I email each school to update them or just see if it comes up later on? I know I can't update with AMCAS. I'm trying not to be a neurotic pre-med, but I'm super worried that they'll think I'm trying to lie since it sounds like I had already started when I submitted!

hope u're not srs...if you are let me appease ur mind....
"Observe variety of patients and physician interaction with both children and adults."
just sounds like a job description, and after the "starting in july" it sounds like u WILL do it, so the WILL is implied...:)

anyhow, stop looking at ur activities and BY NO MEANS look at ur PS...there is probably an error somewhere, and judging by ur post, it will drive u insane.

Members don't see this ad :)
haha, thanks you guys - i was being more than a little neurotic since i called amcas and one med school about this and they both said to update each school.

i actually lumped all my shadowing experiences so the date range just goes to "present." i was concerned because this doctor in particular called to say that he couldn't have me shadow in july (he was too busy now) but that i could try him in sept. i'm shadowing another doctor in august tho.

So I REALLY screwed up and just now noticed, waaaay after submitting and while filling out my LAST secondary. I somehow pasted over my original description of a Research Asst I activity with random, unrelated publications. I'm freaking out. This is my second app season. I was filling out TMDSAS, AACOMAS, and AMCAS at the same time, so it's no wonder something inane like this happened.

Should I just wait to address this in interviews? Should I email schools? FML.

You might wanna start packing for the Caribbean.

Edit: comment removed. Didn't look at original posting date

Last edited:
So I REALLY screwed up and just now noticed, waaaay after submitting and while filling out my LAST secondary. I somehow pasted over my original description of a Research Asst I activity with random, unrelated publications. I'm freaking out. This is my second app season. I was filling out TMDSAS, AACOMAS, and AMCAS at the same time, so it's no wonder something inane like this happened.

Should I just wait to address this in interviews? Should I email schools? FML.
Email schools.

For anyone searching for what to do in the future, this is what I sent.

Guero
AMCAS ID: ###
To Whom It May Concern:

I noticed an overwrite in one of my primary AMCAS activities today. The description body of the experience entitled "XXX XXX" was erroneously overwritten with an unrelated list of publications and should instead read as follows:

"XXX XXX XXX."

I apologize for any inconvenience and hope that the committee will accept this replacement when reviewing my primary application.

Sincerely,

Guero
AMCAS ID: ###

Thank you so much for addressing this. I noticed an cutoff in an activity that I believe really sets me apart, but was just keeping my fingers crossed that the admissions committee would just skim over it. I think emailing them the rest of the paragraph helped, at least for my sanity. Thanks again.
You're welcome. After reading Catalystik's advice, an attending, I didn't hesitate. I received responses from 90% of my schools thanking me for the clarification. S/he was so right. Thank you Catalystik!!