Madison

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

izibo

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am incredibly psyched up about potentially going to school next year at UW-Madison, but I haven't heard a lot of buzz (or, any really) about the school on the forums. I would really appreciate some thoughts any one else can provide about the school/town/program.

Members don't see this ad.

izibo said:
I am incredibly psyched up about potentially going to school next year at UW-Madison, but I haven't heard a lot of buzz (or, any really) about the school on the forums. I would really appreciate some thoughts any one else can provide about the school/town/program.

Last edited:
Where did you hear that Madison was going to be number one in US News?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just got into Madison the other day...was excited...but I don't know if it where I will go... the town is very liberal (which I really like) but at the same time is really too expensive for what it is... i lived in what I call it's massachusetts equivilent (Amherst/Northampton)...which again is the same thing..very liberal and way to expensive for what it is...

As for the school, great school, truly...The building which you will have all the classes in your first and second year is about a year or two old...there are great opportunities for research...being that there are so many amazing programs outside MD associated with Madison...there is really research in anything you want to do, and lots of money for you to get paid doing it..which would be nice for the summer between first and second year...

not thrilled with: the attitude of some of the some of the students gave me a sour taste in my mouth...the kind of thing like you should just be so grateful to be there... which was not the attitude I got anywhere else...

Yay, UWisc! :D

About the school/program: I can tell you that the med students I've met while working in one of the physiology labs there seem happy. Stressed, but happy. My PI was voted the best teacher by the med students -- he's awesome. The rest of the faculty that I have met seem great as well.

About the town: Madison is awesome. Plenty to do -- great music and arts. If you're a biker, this place is heaven. Lots of good parks in the city and awesome state parks not far away -- Devil's Lake is definitely worth a trip. Badger sports are always fun. Cost of living is not too bad.

I'm happy to answer any specific questions you might have about living here. :)

Edited to add:

owenmichael said:
The school is going to be number 1 in the us news and world rankings this year.

While I wouldn't complain if it were... you can't say something like that and not source it! Where did that come from??? I will faint if this is true -- oh, wait, you must mean primary care rankings. That's a possibility.

The facilities really are amazing. Madison can feel a bit limiting after awhile because it is small.

izibo said:
Where did you hear that Madison was going to be number one in US News?

Im pretty sure they are talking about primary care rankings of US News. UW has consistently been in the top 5 for primary care rankings and has ranked #1 before.

OK, I didn't want to bring this up because I don't know who's on these boards, but I have a question. How can I get an interview offer (and scheduled) without completing my secondary to this school? Has anyone else had this happen? My advisor had told me I had no chance of getting into UofWisc because I'm out of state, so once I was accepted somewhere else I decided to save money on the secondary. Anyway, has anyone heard of this?

chandelantern said:
OK, I didn't want to bring this up because I don't know who's on these boards, but I have a question. How can I get an interview offer (and scheduled) without completing my secondary to this school? Has anyone else had this happen? My advisor had told me I had no chance of getting into UofWisc because I'm out of state, so once I was accepted somewhere else I decided to save money on the secondary. Anyway, has anyone heard of this?

They invited me without my whole file being complete (they were missing some LOR's), but I had finished the secondary.

They must really like you!

It's a good school, but I didn't really like the cramped hospital or the fact that we won't enjoy the new anatomy lab because it's being built a year later. The 16 weeks of away rotations was bad news too. I was accepted there, but unless I get some sweet scholarships, I'll be somewhere else.

TheProwler said:
It's a good school, but I didn't really like the cramped hospital or the fact that we won't enjoy the new anatomy lab because it's being built a year later. The 16 weeks of away rotations was bad news too. I was accepted there, but unless I get some sweet scholarships, I'll be somewhere else.

Last edited:
truly great cycling in and around madison (really, all of wisconsin), if that's your thing. madison itself has a good system of bike trails and bike-laned roads. outside of madison are lots of well-paved, under-used county roads that travel through hilly farmland, and you can get detailed bike maps of every county in wisconsin for free online.

madison is a good college/government town. downtown has lots of commercial activity and is near campus. lots of people out and about. the campus itself is huge. two lakes that come into the city add to the scenic charm and recreational opportunity.

izibo said:

Madison is hands-down one of the most progressive small cities in the country and is constantly ranked as one of "the best cities to live in" by Money Magazine. That said, it's not a big city, and can't compare to New York, Chicago, or LA. To me it feels more like a smaller, cleaner version of Cambridge. As everyone else has said, Madison is very, very liberal (the green party is the dominant political party in city politics) and surprisingly culturally diverse for the Midwest. There's a good amount of solid ethnic restaurants downtown (definitely try the Ethiopian place on State Street), and with the new Overture Center, there's a huge push to bring top tier shows and concerts to Madison.

Although I didn't go to UW for undergrad (I went to school out on the East Coast), I grew up in Madison and have a lot of friends at medical school there. Regarding the program, the UW is really pushing hard to break into the top top tier of medical schools in the country. They just founded a school of public health and changed the name of the medical school to the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health. Also, as I'm sure you know, they are also really one of, if not the front-runner in the field of human embryonic stem-cell research. James Thompson, who pioneered the field, is on faculty there in the Anatomy Department and really brought a lot of money to the school. Moreover, because of all the stem cell research there, the NIH picked the UW (over Harvard) to open the first national stem cell bank. The hospital is also pretty top notch, and apparently does the most transplants in the US (that's what they told us on interview day). The patient population isn't as diverse as what you'd find in a larger city, but is pretty solid.

In my mind, there are only two major draw backs to the place. First, the cold. It gets ridiculously cold there in the winter. During middle and high school, we'd get a few days off each winter, because it was too cold to spend extended periods outside. So get ready. Second, like someone else mentioned, real estate in Madison isn't cheap. Because the city is on an isthmus (which incidentally makes for many great recreational opportunities), space downtown is limited, and you'll end up paying more than you'd expect for an apartment. Apartments on Langdon Street (where many of the undergrads live) can run as much as $800/month, however I think most med students pay probably between $500-$600.

TheDarkSide said:
They invited me without my whole file being complete (they were missing some LOR's), but I had finished the secondary.

They must really like you!

I love your new avatar Darkside :laugh: I want one of those!