Magazines for medical students and MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

goodmansk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find that kind of magazines on Google, so I decided to ask here. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't find that kind of magazines on Google, so I decided to ask here. Thanks in advance!

I throw away the JAMA everytime I get it (every 1-2 weeks). I'm sure it's a good medical student magazine. I wouldn't pay for anything until you start medical school. Either you'll realize you can get it for free (or a lot cheaper), or you'll realize you don't have enough time, or as in my case, both...

here's their link:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/

I throw away the JAMA everytime I get it (every 1-2 weeks). I'm sure it's a good medical student magazine. I wouldn't pay for anything until you start medical school. Either you'll realize you can get it for free (or a lot cheaper), or you'll realize you don't have enough time, or as in my case, both...

here's their link:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/

I received the JAMAs in the mail for a few months and then they sent me something saying that I would receive the electronic copies instead. I never received an electronic or mailed copy again which didn't matter considering I never read them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received the JAMAs in the mail for a few months and then they sent me something saying that I would receive the electronic copies instead. I never received an electronic or mailed copy again which didn't matter considering I never read them.

hmm, I wonder if there's a way I can make them stop sending me the magazines then, and instead send me the electronic verions. I'll look into it today and see what it is that I joined that made them start sending them in the first place...

It might be that time when we first started school when we joined the AMA (or AMSA I think), when they gave us the free netter's cards...

hmm, I wonder if there's a way I can make them stop sending me the magazines then, and instead send me the electronic verions. I'll look into it today and see what it is that I joined that made them start sending them in the first place...

It might be that time when we first started school when we joined the AMA (or AMSA I think), when they gave us the free netter's cards...

I think this is it. http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/no-index/about-ama/3561.shtml

When you apply for a medical license, you will start to get all sorts of random free 'throw=away' magazines.

Things you can get as a student: JAMA (if AMA member), NEJM, any state medical journals (you'd have to join your state medical society, which is usually free or super-cheap for med students), The New Physician (if AMSA member), etc.

Don't try to get any specialty magazines until you've chosen a specialty....otherwise it'd be a waste of money (and possibly above your head, depending on what year you are in your training).

Medical journals are a waste of money and time during the lecture / didactic portion of medical school. At that time you should focus on learning the subject matter that they are teaching you.

Early medical education is the collection of background information and comes from textbooks. Later on, medical education slowly becomes more specific and less background info. At that time you will transition to journals and other online resources (i.e. Up to date) and use textbooks less often.

At that time, many hospitals and medical schools have free access to thousands of journals, do not pay for them.