Are US MDs unlikely to get interviews at programs with very few US MDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Babbitt4MVP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of residency programs with <10% US-MDs. Is that a function of them being less competitive (not attracting a lot of US-MD applicants) or them just preferring DOs/IMGs and being unfriendlier to US-MDs? Basically I want to know if these are worth applying to at all as a US MD.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, they are less competitive. If you are interested in the program, go ahead and apply.

Reactions: 1 user
I see a lot of residency programs with <10% US-MDs. Is that a function of them being less competitive (not attracting a lot of US-MD applicants) or them just preferring DOs/IMGs and being unfriendlier to US-MDs? Basically I want to know if these are worth applying to at all as a US MD.

Could be either

If it's a former AACOM program (the DO equivalent of ACGME) then the program may have a history of taking DOs, have a bunch of DO staff and prefer to continue taking DO's.

It could also very well be a competitiveness issue.

If you really want to do to X place, best thing is to apply and find away to express sincere interest in the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Could be either

If it's a former AACOM program (the DO equivalent of ACGME) then the program may have a history of taking DOs, have a bunch of DO staff and prefer to continue taking DO's.

It could also very well be a competitiveness issue.

If you really want to do to X place, best thing is to apply and find away to express sincere interest in the program.

This is especially helpful to keep in mind when looking at the current resident cohort. I've encountered several programs where all the uppers are DO's but the newer residents are a mix of DO's and MD's.

Is this a real thing? IMG's and DO's being preferred over USMD's? If it was an osteopathic residency why would you even want to apply as an MD, even DO's don't want to do those

Is this a real thing? IMG's and DO's being preferred over USMD's? If it was an osteopathic residency why would you even want to apply as an MD, even DO's don't want to do those
I've heard from many 4th years that location plays a much greater factor in residency match listed than we think. Many will place priority on being in a location near family or a desirable city over matches that may have higher prestige. This is especially true in primary and less competitive specialties or for those uninterested in academics.

Edit: and yes there are some spots that prefer DOs because they were prior osteopathic spots and want to ensure that that heritage continues/fight back a bit against the discrimination they felt previously.