maine medical center

Started by jocwyo
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jocwyo

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all,

Does anyone have any good info on Maine Medical Center? There's nothing on scutwork - a search on this website revealed some promising info, but I still have a lot of questions. What is the internship like? call schedule? didactics? cost of living? atmosphere? etc. Anyone on this forum that has rotated through MMC or is currently in residency - I would really appreciate your input. Thanks.
 
I believe that I met the chairman of that program at the last ASA and he was touting the extraordinary number of hearts they do there. They get a LOT of cardiac referrals.

Other than that, I have no clue.
 
one of the attendings where i am now did his residency there and a cardiac fellowship at MGH. he said maine med prepared him just as well or better than the other fellows in his class. he talked about working hard, but getting incredible training there much more than he talks about MGH. just one perspective.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Rotated there, did the interview, here's what I thought.
What is the internship like? I don't remember
call schedule? Again, sorry I don't recall
didactics? Daily resident run conferences (at 4, yes you get out!) Biweekly or monthly grand rounds by people from all over.
cost of living? I recall it being fairly cheap, lots of residents bought houses, one even had a place 'up north' for the weekends.
atmosphere? Amazing. "MGH-lite" might be one way of putting it. It is a private practice feel, but all of the attendings are subspecialists and work in teams. As I mentioned, most are MGH or similar trained and still have close close ties to those programs in Boston. I'm told fellowships are a snap due to this. Very laid back feel, but the attendings are into teaching as well. Lots of Miller chapters and other books by people that are now at MMC. It's a pretty small program (3-4/class) and seems very close knit.

I was really suprised by the case variety. Lots of hearts, even complex pediatric ones. I thought that those would go to Boston, but they do a great deal there. They also do trauma but it seemed fairly light. ICU is combined med/surg/peds all in one big unit. OB seemed fairly benign, even for MMC being the major referral center for the region.

The UVM presence is very strong at MMC as they do lots of 3rd and 4th year rotations there, so it's got an academic feel as well.

Portland is a pretty cool town. Lots of neat little bars, good restaurants. Surprisingly diverse for Maine. Close by good skiing, hiking, biking, kayaking, etc. 2 hrs to Boston.

Being small and a great place to live, I don't think they have to go very far down their rank list. In other words if you want it, rank it high or not at all. It's definately not for everybody, but for the right person it would be heaven. Probably not for the person bent on huge academics and research. It was definately the best of the community style programs I checked out, so if you're going for this style, check it out.
 
I actually interviewed there last year and I was also impressed by the variety of cases they did. Also, as I recall, almost all of their surgeons are private practice who operate at Maine Medical Center so as a resident you really learn what it is like to be in the private practice world (ie fast turnover). One of the attendings I spoke with did his residency at MGH stated that he wished he would have done his residency at Maine because of the variety and number of difficult cases.
I also really like Portland. I didn't know anything about the area and I was very impressed by the number of restaurants, shops, bars, and outdoor activities. Also, the hotel where they put me up for my interview was the nicest hotel I stayed in during my interview trail. Which shows that they definitely respect their candidates who are taking the time to interview there. The night before my interview I went out to eat with 2 of the residents. They were some of the happiest residents I had met on my interview trail. They had a lot of time to do extracurricular activities also (Most everyone skied). The hospital seemed to be nice also. But I do know for a fact that Maine does not have to go very far down on their rank list. I believe they only take 3 residents each year. So I think they go down to about #10 on their rank list. SO if you don't rank them number one, you can forget it. I really liked this program but I am a warm weather girl so I had to choose elsewhere because it gets really really cold in Portland. Overall, I think it is a great program but I think in order to get in you need to do a rotation there and rank them number one.
 
IsoGirl2707 said:
I believe they only take 3 residents each year. So I think they go down to about #10 on their rank list. SO if you don't rank them number one, you can forget it. I really liked this program but I am a warm weather girl so I had to choose elsewhere because it gets really really cold in Portland. Overall, I think it is a great program but I think in order to get in you need to do a rotation there and rank them number one.

No disagreement that rotating there may help the one's chances of getting ranked highly.

But remember that how you rank a program has no bearing on how they rank you. Making them think that you will rank them #1 or highly IS advisable, but that is definitely different than actually ranking them #1.
 
4th year said:
Does anyone know if they offer advanced spots?
I called the program - they said that they offered three preliminary spots and one advanced position.
 
I really like MMC as well. They did seem to get a great variety of cases. The faculty struck me as equally qualified as the ones who chose to stay in Boston; I might say they were smarter in that they chose a better lifestyle by leaving Boston (of course, this would be the bias of someone who likes smaller cities). They were also accomodating for women needing to take time off for having children (this out of the mouth of a resident who had had 2).

It seemed like a cool town and quite affordable. It's just that it was -20 when we went for interviews in January. I grew up in the NE, but I couldn't convince my husband.