Maintaining Residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

patrickkonsor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I go to a Wisconsin school, but as a Minnesota resident and I'd like to maintain my Minnesota residency if it's possible. I had lived in Minnesota for 19 years, then moved to Wisconsin and after about a year I started school here. I have a Wisconsin drivers license, but I haven't voted or payed taxes (yet) in Wisconsin; I'm also considered a dependent to my parents who live, vote, and pay taxes in Minnesota. I own my own (Wisconsin) company, so I'm self employed and therefore do not have full time employment in Wisconsin. However, I believe I will have to pay my taxes to Wisconsin this year, so does this then qualify me as a Wisconsin resident? Or what is the determining factor in this regard? Is there any way to ensure that I continue to be considered a Minnesota resident?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You need to check into Wisconsin laws... I go to school in Washington state, pay taxes, have a drivers license, vote, etc, but I'm considered a Kansas state resident. The laws here say you have to live here a year without the intention of going to school before you are considered a resident - how else would they make boatloads off of OOS tuition?