I am looking into different majors right now but I am a little confused as what I want to study. The ultimate goal is to get into medical school and I don't see myself doing anything else in life. I would go abroad or even Caribbean if things don't work out.
The options I am considering are psychology, biological sciences or economics. Would a double major be in my favor when applying to medical schools? Which of these majors would benefit me the most in the long run and application process?
1) No major sigificantly benifits you in the eyes of ADCOMs in and of itself. Double majors benifit you even less. If anything does helps, its being unique rather than medically relevant. Bio and psych are terrible choices for standing out from the crowd.
2) That's not to say your major choice doesn't affect your chances. The goal for medical school is a GPA of > 3.6. The trick to medical school admissions is to put yourself in a position to get that GPA. So from day 1: light credit loads, research your professors' average class GPAs before signing up for a class, and in general an easy major.
3) Now there is one other thing to consider, which is a backup plan. Easy majors don't make a lot of money if medical school doesn't work out, and it doesn't work out for most people who come in as premeds. However sure you are, I think its a good idea to have a resume that an employer would want. At the very least, make sure you pick up several internships or a co-op (not university research lab experience) so that you have something on your resume if things don't work out during medical school admissions. The nice thing about work experience is that, unlike difficult/lucrative majors (engineering, accounting, etc), your backup plan doesn't get in the way of your primary plan. It can't hurt your GPA. Looking for a job can take more than a semester: start sending out resumes for the summer during your first semester.
4) whatever you do, remember that adjusting to college is a 5 credit class. Your first semester make sure you take no more than 12 easy credits to give you time to rush, join/quit a dozen clubs, cycle through groups of friends, etc. You will be in a much better position to take a ton of credits when your college life settles down to a managebale routine around winter break.