Major Career Decision, Please Help!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

franfranny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted a career in the health field. I used to want to be a medical doctor, but that changed when I got into college and realized that it just wasn't the path for me. I've shadowed nursing, physical therapy, optometry, and dentistry since then.

My parents have been STRONGLY pushing me to go into dentistry for years solely because of the money and status, and to be blunt those are the factors that have been driving me as a pre-dental student for some time. My parents are a doctor and nurse from a third world country, so the career mentality in my household has always been to choose a career with money being the sole factor and happiness having no influence whatsoever. But lately I've been really soul searching and to be honest, I'm not sure if I have the passion for the oral cavity that a person needs to be happy in dentistry. I've been hearing that dentistry is a field that you'll be miserable in if you're not 100% passionate about being in it, so I'm vigorously debating whether or not I should switch to another health profession.

I have just taken my DAT, and I am on the brink of applying to dental school. I also have 200 hours of shadowing and dental volunteer experience, so I have seen much of the field. Do you think that I should still push on and try to become a dentist, even with all these reservations at this point?

Also, I am not trying to put down dentistry in any way. I've shadowed hospital dentistry and two private practices in general dentistry, so I can truly say that I admire what dentists do for our community and I appreciate their work ethic. I just need to know that if it's the right path for me.

Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're making several millions per year, the paycheck doesn't matter if you hate going to your job every day. If you really feel passionate for it then pursue! Also remember that there are several specialties within dentistry, so if you don't like doing fillings all day, then maybe yanking teeth out or doing endo/perio/whatever is for you! There's a bunch of opportunity in dentistry so keep your eye on the prize if it's what you want to do!
Best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
I think you have already answered the question. Why work so hard and spend so much time and money on something you know you already don't really care for. Spend time trying to find something that truly have a passion for because then you will truly be happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been hearing that dentistry is a field that you'll be miserable in if you're not 100% passionate about being in it, so I'm vigorously debating whether or not I should switch to another health profession.
Being miserable without a passion for the field of choice is not limited to dentistry.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel very few people have 100% passion for a field but if you don't like it at all and will hate it don't do it. If you enjoy it and can't think of anything else to do then go for it! I don't know if I can say I'm "100% passionate" but I know this is what I want to do and I will be happy doing so.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you need to explore other fields that interest you. If you're not certain about dentistry, don't waste your time. Find something that you love and enjoy doing and learning about. You should explore other career options and see what else is out there. If you think that dentistry is still a good fit, then apply! You might find something else that you actually love doing!

Being miserable without a passion for the field of choice is not limited to dentistry.

I am not saying that it is limited to dentistry by any means, that statement is solely for my situation. Like I said, I am not trying to put down dentistry in any way.

Thank you so much to everyone's advice! I do really like how dentistry has an artistic side and how it's very involved. I think my reservations mainly come from my fear of owning my own business if I go into private practice, and I'm also worried about running my own team. I'm mostly a shy person, but I am assertive when duty calls! Does anyone else have those concerns?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have always wanted a career in the health field. I used to want to be a medical doctor, but that changed when I got into college and realized that it just wasn't the path for me. I've shadowed nursing, physical therapy, optometry, and dentistry since then.

My parents have been STRONGLY pushing me to go into dentistry for years solely because of the money and status, and to be blunt those are the factors that have been driving me as a pre-dental student for some time. My parents are a doctor and nurse from a third world country, so the career mentality in my household has always been to choose a career with money being the sole factor and happiness having no influence whatsoever. But lately I've been really soul searching and to be honest, I'm not sure if I have the passion for the oral cavity that a person needs to be happy in dentistry. I've been hearing that dentistry is a field that you'll be miserable in if you're not 100% passionate about being in it, so I'm vigorously debating whether or not I should switch to another health profession.

I have just taken my DAT, and I am on the brink of applying to dental school. I also have 200 hours of shadowing and dental volunteer experience, so I have seen much of the field. Do you think that I should still push on and try to become a dentist, even with all these reservations at this point?

Also, I am not trying to put down dentistry in any way. I've shadowed hospital dentistry and two private practices in general dentistry, so I can truly say that I admire what dentists do for our community and I appreciate their work ethic. I just need to know that if it's the right path for me.

Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you :)
I mean, after 200 hours you should know whether you like it or not. If someone right now told you that you couldn't do dentistry anymore, that the US has banned all dentistry (it would never happen, but for the sake of this lets pretend) then what would be your back up career choice? Would you feel relieved if someone said that, like a burden being lifted, or would you be sad? I think that can tell you a lot about your true feelings.