Major choices: Psychology vs Economics vs Chemical Engineering

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shindotp

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I didn't want to have to make a SDN thread about this, but I am really having trouble deciding and it won't be long before I choose classes for next semester (and after next semester, there's no way I'd be able to change between majors without extending graduation time).

My ultimate goal is to become a healthcare administrator, but I am afraid what would happen if I decide against medicine and want to go into more business type fields (pharmaceutical companies). I would like a bunch of opinions...

Psychology: I am really fascinated by the way people think, and psychology is just such an interesting subject. I thought I would love neuroscience, but I don't really love it as much as I thought (I'm taking Intro to Cog. Neurosci.). And my problem with majoring in psych is this: if I decide not to go into medicine, I'm pretty f-ed. If I wanted an MBA, it'd be harder for me to gain work experience with a psych degree.

Chemical Engineering: Not as interesting, but if I decide against medicine, I'll have a clear alternative. I can work as an engineer for a couple years, get an MBA, and move up the ladder to managerial and executive positions (which I think I would love).

Economics: One of the reasons I want to be a hospital administrator is that I want to be in a position to help change the current economic state of healthcare. Having a strong foundation in economics would help me help healthcare. Plus, if I decide against medicine, I could easily find a job in business related fields, get an MBA, and hopefully become successful. I am turned off by the HUGE overlap between math and economics though... I don't love math that much.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm an econ major, and if you are smart and work it right, you will be able to avoid classes with a heavy math focus (stay FAR, FAR away from Econometrics!!!!!).

I think econ would make the most sense here with what you want to accomplish. Be sure to take a health econ class (or 2 if more are offered!) to get a really good idea of the inner workings of our health care system. I immensely enjoyed that class, and I'm writing a thesis in that field now.

If you are even considering MBA down the road, don't forget accounting and statistics if you havn't already taken them - they are essentially prereqs. Just my opinion, though. Good luck!

I'm an econ major, and if you are smart and work it right, you will be able to avoid classes with a heavy math focus (stay FAR, FAR away from Econometrics!!!!!).

I think econ would make the most sense here with what you want to accomplish. Be sure to take a health econ class (or 2 if more are offered!) to get a really good idea of the inner workings of our health care system. I immensely enjoyed that class, and I'm writing a thesis in that field now.

If you are even considering MBA down the road, don't forget accounting and statistics if you havn't already taken them - they are essentially prereqs. Just my opinion, though. Good luck!

Econometrics = requirement for econ majors at my school.

Noooooo!! Haha but I'm not terrible at math so I think I'll be okay... Linear Alg and Multivar Calc are pretty much required too.

Thanks a lot for your input, I didn't know it was possible to be an econ major and be able to avoid really rigorous math.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sheesh that sucks. Linear Alg was "pretty much" required for my Econometrics class and I have not had it... I would just sit in class and my eyes would glaze over - I had NO idea what he was talking about. But yeah just pick and choose your courses wisely, talk to older students and ratemyprofessor.com is a HUGE resource as well.

With the exception of Econometrics, the highest math I had to do really was Calc I stuff (max/min). There were other classes that used high math (mostly Diff Eqs), but I stayed far away from those. Lots of it is pretty intuitive.

I would imagine that all of this would hold for most schools, but I cannot say for certain. Look at upper level courses and see before you make the decision. You won't be needing Linear Alg or anything like that for an MBA (but it won't hurt either).

Haha, wow, those are some widely varying choices there. First thing, from reading your post, I would say is to cross off chem-E. Engineering is too damn difficult, especially if you don't find it interesting (or as interesting as something else). It seems you like you would enjoy economics and psych, so I really can't say which one is better. If you know that you may want to enter an MBA progem one day, then economics is an obvious choice, but it certainly isn't necessary to get into a MBA program. Is there any way you can delay this decision for at least another semester? I.E. take psych and econ classes next semester and see which one you think would suit you better.

I didn't want to have to make a SDN thread about this, but I am really having trouble deciding and it won't be long before I choose classes for next semester (and after next semester, there's no way I'd be able to change between majors without extending graduation time).

My ultimate goal is to become a healthcare administrator, but I am afraid what would happen if I decide against medicine and want to go into more business type fields (pharmaceutical companies). I would like a bunch of opinions...

Psychology: I am really fascinated by the way people think, and psychology is just such an interesting subject. I thought I would love neuroscience, but I don't really love it as much as I thought (I'm taking Intro to Cog. Neurosci.). And my problem with majoring in psych is this: if I decide not to go into medicine, I'm pretty f-ed. If I wanted an MBA, it'd be harder for me to gain work experience with a psych degree.

Chemical Engineering: Not as interesting, but if I decide against medicine, I'll have a clear alternative. I can work as an engineer for a couple years, get an MBA, and move up the ladder to managerial and executive positions (which I think I would love).

Economics: One of the reasons I want to be a hospital administrator is that I want to be in a position to help change the current economic state of healthcare. Having a strong foundation in economics would help me help healthcare. Plus, if I decide against medicine, I could easily find a job in business related fields, get an MBA, and hopefully become successful. I am turned off by the HUGE overlap between math and economics though... I don't love math that much.

noo! dont judge all of neuro based on one branch/concentration! cog neuro doesnt interest me much as well. i'm into systems neuro. does your uni offer concentrations within the major?

and [i hear] there is an emerging niche in neuro which has many applications in business. i think it's something like "the neuroscience of decision making."

i suggest econ if neuro doesnt work out because it's easier than ChemBE/ChemE and likely has better job opps than psych. unless maybe you are interested in clinical psychology or something.

Haha, wow, those are some widely varying choices there. First thing, from reading your post, I would say is to cross off chem-E. Engineering is too damn difficult, especially if you don't find it interesting (or as interesting as something else). It seems you like you would enjoy economics and psych, so I really can't say which one is better. If you know that you may want to enter an MBA progem one day, then economics is an obvious choice, but it certainly isn't necessary to get into a MBA program. Is there any way you can delay this decision for at least another semester? I.E. take psych and econ classes next semester and see which one you think would suit you better.

I really wish I had just one more semester! But unfortunately I don't... I thought I was for sure majoring in psych so I signed up for 2 psych classes this semester (one of which is statistics and is not accepted by the Econ program... V_V going to have to take statistics twice at my school).

But I did take AP Econ in high school and LOVED it.

As for engineering, I actually outdid most Chem E's in my chemistry class, and I outdid most engineers in my calc-based physics class, so I think I could be pretty competitive. Grades-wise, the grades won't be too different because 35% of a class's grades are A's no matter what class it is (except for humanities).

both statements are not always true. i even got the bachelor of science. the only math classes i took were calculus I and business statistics. (i went to a well respected uni too)

I was talking about for my school.

I really wish I had just one more semester! But unfortunately I don't... I thought I was for sure majoring in psych so I signed up for 2 psych classes this semester (one of which is statistics and is not accepted by the Econ program... V_V going to have to take statistics twice at my school).

But I did take AP Econ in high school and LOVED it.

As for engineering, I actually outdid most Chem E's in my chemistry class, and I outdid most engineers in my calc-based physics class, so I think I could be pretty competitive. Grades-wise, the grades won't be too different because 35% of a class's grades are A's no matter what class it is (except for humanities).

:eek:

But yeah, I don't know what to tell ya, just go with your gut feeling I guess. Personally, I would go with economics, just because I think it will make you well-rounded, and you can also get a job (if the economy stregthens that is, who knows if it really ever will) if you decide not to go into medicine or want to take a couple of years off.

sure you can beat many/most chemE's in chemistry and reg engineers in physics.. because you don't have their schedule. im scoring in the upper 5-20 percent (haha, yes, wide range) in the physical sciences, but that doesnt mean i'd have the same success if i was a physics major or a chemE-- i think their workload is more taxing so i expect to do better than them. whats tough about the engineering major is pretty much the quantity and quality of the work load. generally, the engineering workload is more difficult because it is filled with more upper level math/physical science and engineering courses and because it often requires a high(er) credit load.

i still say minimize your stress and major in econ (not that econ is a walk in the park, but it's likely a more flexible and doable major). im sure you can do chemE and be fine/successful, but if your gpa will suffer even slightly, it's likely not worth any benefits you might have incured[imo].

:eek:

But yeah, I don't know what to tell ya, just go with your gut feeling I guess. Personally, I would go with economics, just because I think it will make you well-rounded, and you can also get a job (if the economy stregthens that is, who knows if it really ever will) if you decide not to go into medicine or want to take a couple of years off.

48% of Harvard's grades are A's. 35% is quite low in comparison - and if you went here then I guarantee you'd feel the same. This debate happened many times on this board already haha (dang I pretty much gave away what school I go to).

Last edited:
sure you can beat many/most chemE's in chemistry and reg engineers in physics.. because you don't have their schedule. im scoring in the upper 5-20 percent (haha, yes, wide range) in the physical sciences, but that doesnt mean i'd have the same success if i was a physics major or a chemE-- i think their workload is more taxing so i expect to do better than them. whats tough about the engineering major is pretty much the quantity and quality of the work load. generally, the engineering workload is more difficult because it is filled with more upper level math/physical science and engineering courses and because it often requires a high(er) credit load.

i still say minimize your stress and major in econ (not that econ is a walk in the park, but it's likely a more flexible and doable major). im sure you can do chemE and be fine/successful, but if your gpa will suffer even slightly, it's likely not worth any benefits you might have incured[imo].

Haha what you say is true, but just to clarify... All freshmen were required to take 4 courses (no more and no less) in their first semester. As far as courses went, we all had about the same work load since most engineers in their first semester don't take engineering courses.

Thanks for the opinions. I'm really leaning towards Econ now.

Members don't see this ad :)
ChemE it would be by far the hardest major choice and you would likely come out with a much lower GPA than you would in psych/econ.

Also in regard to beating the engineers in Chem, its probaly because 80% of engineers think most chem is boring and pointless because they are CivE,CompSci,MechE,EE, etc. Also engineering classes have a very different style than intro physics/chem classes. Problem sets are massively time consuming, most tests are open book/open notes, you have group design projects, etc.

ChemE can also be soul crushing at times, but all that being said once you graduate your essentially guranteed a job and ChemE's have a habit of getting fast tracked into management if they are a likeable person.

That being said alot of ChemE is really boring and dry and psych/econ would probaly be much more exciting and easier.

My roomate and I are sophmore ChemE's and Im taking a 300 level psych class and he is taking a 300 level econ and we are both making better grades in our psych/econ than we are in any of our engineering classes. And for every one hour i spend on psych i probaly spend 10 on each of my engineering classes.

Also if you want to get into management ASAP ChemE is MUCH better than econ for that. Unless you are ivy league and plan to have 3.8+ GPA.

A very typical ChemE route is , struggle through and make a 3.0, get hired in industry, work three years, go get MBA, go into upper level management where you were previously working.

Surf - thanks for the input...

I definitely would want to get into upper management and an MBA if I didn't go into med school.

Do you think I could go into upper management at a pharmaceutical company if I got an MD and MBA instead of getting a degree in ChemE?

Last edited:
This is a no brainer:
Psych, it's easy parcheesi.

when you apply to med school GPA is king, don't do anything that might annihilate your GPA (ChemE I'm looking at you). If you wan't to be a doctor, do what it takes, if you want to be a chemical engineer, do what it takes.
-Roy

This is a no brainer:
Psych, it's easy parcheesi.

when you apply to med school GPA is king, don't do anything that might annihilate your GPA (ChemE I'm looking at you). If you wan't to be a doctor, do what it takes, if you want to be a chemical engineer, do what it takes.
-Roy

Problem is there's a chance I could not want to be a doctor.

And GPA difference between Psych and Econ majors is like... virtually nonexistent here.

I'd go with what you enjoy and what you know you can maintain a solid GPA with. Really, hardly any college majors are akin to professional training programs, so it doesn't matter that there's not many clear-cut jobs that psych majors fall into...take what you think is most interesting, do your best in it, and do what you need to do to leave graduate/professional school options (that you're seriously considering) open.

I'm a double major--one of them psych--and can tell you that the beauty of the psych major is that you can make of it whatever you want. There's such a multitude of sub-fields you can sort of pick what interests you and take mostly classes in that. f. ex., I'm personally interested in neuro and clinical psyc., so I've largely skewed my classes to fit these fields. I also looked seriously at econ during my "what the hell do I want to do in college" phase, because I know it's a great major and I believe that there's a decent market for economists, but I ultimately had to face the facts that I'm much more of a science and social science guy. The three majors you listed are all great for their own, albeit very different, reasons. Again, just do whatever interests you the most, and knock it dead.

Last edited:
Surf - thanks for the input...

I definitely would want to get into upper management and an MBA if I didn't go into med school.

Do you think I could go into upper management at a pharmaceutical company if I got an MD and MBA instead of getting a degree in ChemE?

I think its pretty safe to say the only reason you should get an MD is if you want be a physician.

The thing thats beneficial about getting engineering degree and MBA is that you actually understand how/why your companies' product is being produced. So getting an engineering degree/MBA isnt going to help you at goldman/BOA but its going to be invaluable if you want to do management at GE/BP/Exxon/Merck/GSK

Here's some examples from ChemE (obviously your not going to say "o this means I can be a CEO" but the fact that there are many CEO's who are ChemE's is evidence to the fact that there are a ton of ChemE's in management postions)

Ramani AyerCEO of The Hartford.
Charles (Garry) BettyPresident and Chief Executive Officer, EarthLink
John Drosdick (1943-)Chairman and CEO of Sunoco, Inc.
Roberto GoizuetaFormer chairman and chief executive of Coca-Cola
David J. O'ReillyChairman and CEO of Chevron Corporation
Lee RaymondExxonMobil chairman and Chief Executive Officer
Jack WelchFormer General Electric chairman and Chief Executive Officer

Time magazine's 1997 "Man of the Year" is a Chemical Engineer

Andrew Grove, Chairman and CEO of Intel Corporation, earned his B.S.Ch.E. in 1960 from City College of New York. He went on to become "the person most responsible for the amazing growth in the power and innovative potential of microchips." As you read this, you are probably using a microprocessor made by Intel. Other major campanies have chosen Chemical Engineers as CEO's, including 3M, BASF, B. F. Goodrich, Dow, DuPont, Exxon, and, of course, The Company (former CIA director John M. Deutch was a Chemical Engineer).

Dang... That information makes ChemE very tempting.

What positions in a pharmaceutical company such as Pfizer could I possibly seek if I graduate with a degree in economics and expect to go to business school?

If I have some significant research experience, could I do some sort of research management?

One last bump for anyone willing to give last minute input...

As a bioengineer, I can only vote chemical engineering. If you come out of the gauntlet that is any engineering major with a 3.5+, then you are more than qualified to handle the rigors of medical school. However, like others have said, keeping your GPA high will require natural talent combined with tons and tons of hardwork. If you already know you aren't a math person, stay far far away from engineering. If you can throw down with numbers (differential equations, linear algebra, calc based physics), I'd seriously consider it.

Also, engineering is the best test prep for the physical sciences section on the MCAT. You will blow past any other premed and laugh at how high your first diagnostic score is (relative to theirs). Guaranteed 13+.

I know too many chemical engineers that are making $80k+/year right out of school, so if you really decide you don't want to be a doctor you aren't stuck working as a worthless research associate or some other bull**** bio job. I don't even think you can get a job with an econ degree any more. With your other two choices are you practically forced to either get a masters or pursue a MBA (for economics) or a PhD (psychology).

Honestly, I just think that the engineering curriculum teaches you to think and solve problems, whereas psychology and other biology majors are simply memorize and regurgitate. I personally valued that and I believe I am a much more capable person due to my training. I think economics would afford you a similar education, but psychology would be worthless if problem solving is important to you.

I guess at the end of the day all that matters is if you enjoy it or not. Most people slave through engineering because it's a practical degree that will everything but guarantee a solid salary after school. The enjoyment comes with the notion that you will be in demand after graduation. ChemE is probably dryest subject on earth so if you care about "being excited about class (lol what does that even mean)" then don't do engineering.

Whew, long post. Sorry.

edit: make sure you REALLY think you can handle chemE, because you will spend way more time studying than most of your friends, which equates to less drinking/drugging with your friends, less time for ECs (but more opportunity for ECs that distinguish yourself over biomajors), and less fun overall in college.

It really shouldn't though. Despite all the good opinions/advice you've gotten here, it ultimately all boils down to your personal interests. Sure, a particular major or a particular career may seem good on paper, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is good for you. The choices you are contemplating here are vastly different from one another, implying that you may not know what your own interests are. Step one is to figure this out. All those majors (well, I don't know about psych..), as well as medicine, will give you an opportunity to have a good career. So which one of those fields interests you the most? I mean, do you enjoy reading about economics in your spare time? What about psych, etc...

Again, good luck :)

Thank you both gator and Blunt...

I think it would be extremely hard to compete as an engineering major at my school.

And I really do enjoy economics... Even though I may not be able to get as great job opportunities with a degree in economics, I think that's the way I'm going to go.

Problem is there's a chance I could not want to be a doctor.

And GPA difference between Psych and Econ majors is like... virtually nonexistent here.

Ah that does make it a little more complicated. I am starting to understand your conundrum a little more. ChemE is definitely where its at for marketability, of course that's IF you want to be a chemical engineer. Being a ChemE major is really more like actually being in a professional school, because you are LEARNING your profession, as such its way more difficult/time consuming. By comparison, psych and econ are more like typical undergrad majors whose value is they teach you "how to think" and how to work but not necessarily how to do a specific job or profession.

Some people on this board will probably flame me for this but I am not sure econ is that much more marketable than psych if you don't want to become a doctor. I know people who think econ is a de facto requirement if you want to work in business but I have found that not to be true. I have a friend who is an econ major who can't get a job and another friend who was an international relations major who has a job lined up at goldman sachs next year. I don't know their specific resumees, but the point is experiences and interview skills count more than major for most jobs so, I geuss all i can say is the trite, do what you like best and thus what you can do best in.
-Roy

ChemE is probably one of the hardest majors at most schools, I'd wager that it is at mine, so only the most intelligent and hard working people make it through. If you are smart and hard working you can succeed at anything. I don't think the actual major itself really helped those CEOs reach upper management.
-Roy

Last edited:
I don't think the actual major itself really helped those CEOs reach upper management.
-Roy

This definately isnt true, have you noticed what all of those companies have in common? (except for the hartford).

RoyBasch;7796596 Being a ChemE major is really more like actually being in a professional school said:
Are you an engineer? Because this is just plain wrong, engineers don't learn to do their jobs in school, they learn on internships, Co-Ops and first job out of school. (Most ChemEs keep first job like three years and then move up so its essentially grad school thats paying you 70K a year.

The single most important thing engineers learn in school is how to problem solve and how to approach a problem they have never seen before.

(For example in our labs they give us lab instructions but none of the equipment/chemicals they describe are actually in our lab so we have to improvise and figure out what can accomplish the same job).

They make us take classes like Quantum Mechanics and Computer science not because we will neccesarily need the material but because it forces us to learn to problem solve in a completly foriegn enviroment.

Also I have taken several psych classes and they dont teach you to "learn to think" compared to an engineering class they teach how to learn to memorize (im not bashing psych here, I have loved my psych classes and if i were to go back to before freshman year I would consider majoring in psych just because I find it so fascinating.)

So yeah Im definately not bashing psych, At this point being a psychiatrist is probaly my dream job but there is no way that psych teaches you to think more than engineering.

My assesment of the three:

Coolness: Econ>ChemE>Psych
Cushiness: Psych>Econ>ChemE
Compensation: Econ~=~ChemE>>Psych

I vote Econ, seems to be the best combination.

My assesment of the three:

Coolness: Econ>ChemE>Psych
Cushiness: Psych>Econ>ChemE
Compensation: Econ~=~ChemE>>Psych

I vote Econ, seems to be the best combination.

three years ago i agree, but now I-banking jobs are very difficult to get and polls show that public opinion considers prostitutes and drug dealers to have similar "reputation/honor" to bankers

three years ago i agree, but now I-banking jobs are very difficult to get and polls show that public opinion considers prostitutes and drug dealers to have similar "reputation/honor" to bankers

Bankers help allocate funds to help create businesses and jobs for society - their work is pretty damn important.

And besides, with money comes respect.

I'm a ChemE. What people said before is correct. Its one of the hardest majors you could possibly do, but also offers highest starting salary with a bachlors and even in this **** economy solid job opportunities.

I posted this in another thread:

premed-process.jpg

Pretty much explains my thought process.

At the end of a chemE degree you will LOVE distillation columns. Calculating the number of theoretical plates will be your idea of foreplay. If you're lucky enough to have a multi-column system then jesus, you've just nailed Jessica Alba.

Bankers help allocate funds to help create businesses and jobs for society - their work is pretty damn important.

And besides, with money comes respect.

Im not bashing bankers per say , im just saying that due to recent events most people consider them the scum of the earth

Im not bashing bankers per say , im just saying that due to recent events most people consider them the scum of the earth

The majority of people have no idea what they're talking about most the time.... so what society thinks of your profession should be irrelevant when it comes to choosing a career.

I'm a ChemE. What people said before is correct. Its one of the hardest majors you could possibly do, but also offers highest starting salary with a bachlors and even in this **** economy solid job opportunities.

premed-process.jpg

At the end of a chemE degree you will LOVE distillation columns. Calculating the number of theoretical plates will be your idea of foreplay. If you're lucky enough to have a multi-column system then jesus, you've just nailed Jessica Alba.

I love the graphic. Too true

I love the graphic. Too true
FWIW, there was a person in the ChemE class below me that went to work for a company on wall street, so I guess there are also financial industry options for ChemEs too.

premed-process.jpg

I love "waste stream of application fees :D
-Roy