Major differences between UAG(Mexico) and US Med schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QAtoPA

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all-

in terms of differences what at the main ones between the international medical program at UAG in Guadalajara, Mexico and the US med schools?

For example, one thing that really confuses me is their "undergraduate medical internship" required after the 4th year and which is done at a US teaching hospital. Is this undergraduate internship at UAG the same a the internship US med school graduates do after they are done with med school which equates into the first year of residency? Or does this internship required by UAG is a requirement for it'd graduates to be able to apply to a US residency?making the UAG program 5 yrs instead o the US 4?

Also, when it comes to medical schools in the Caribbean and the international medical program at UAG, which one do you guys consider best and why?

Thanks in advance...

Eddie

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all-

in terms of differences what at the main ones between the international medical program at UAG in Guadalajara, Mexico and the US med schools?

For example, one thing that really confuses me is their "undergraduate medical internship" required after the 4th year and which is done at a US teaching hospital. Is this undergraduate internship at UAG the same a the internship US med school graduates do after they are done with med school which equates into the first year of residency? Or does this internship required by UAG is a requirement for it'd graduates to be able to apply to a US residency?making the UAG program 5 yrs instead o the US 4?

Also, when it comes to medical schools in the Caribbean and the international medical program at UAG, which one do you guys consider best and why?

Thanks in advance...

Eddie

I assume you plan to practice in the US.

First, you will get an education that is better suited for practice in the US at a US allopathic school. Honestly, I think you will get a much better education period at a US school. The UAG is kind of an extra pathway for people who cannot get into US med school. You should treat it as such.

You will have a much, much, much harder time getting a residency coming from UAG.

the 5th year is an extra year you have to do. I assume it is a way to have their graduates get experience in the US and will give their graduates an easier time matching in the US. The fact they make their graduates do an extra year if they want to apply to US residencies demonstrates that their graduates have a harder time matching. This 5th year DOES NOT COUNT as an internship (part of residency) since they call it an undergraduate internship. You will have to do a real internship after that year.

UAG vs Carribean
Of the carribean schools, SGU is the best. I would place SGU much higher than UAG. I would probably place Ross and SABA also higher than UAG. Compared to the other carribean schools I just cannot tell you which is better. I would look at attrition rates, board pass rates, who they let take the boards (ie if they make their students pass a test to take the boards, they are going to clearly have a falsely higher board pass rate), and match stats.

Ok, so what would you say in regards to Caribbean Schools vs DO School?

My goal is to do a combined FP + EM or IM + EM Residency.

Thanks ,

Eddie

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, so what would you say in regards to Caribbean Schools vs DO School?

My goal is to do a combined FP + EM or IM + EM Residency.

Thanks ,

Eddie

DO is far superior. Any US degree is superior to any Caribbean or Mexican degree. Dual EM/IM or EM/FP are much less difficult for a DO as opposed to FMG.

I fully agree, not only DO schools are superior to all the Caribbean schools, but many of them are by far better than the many American MD schools. In some specialty areas they are superb--family practice and geriatrics, to name a few!

I fully agree, not only DO schools are superior to all the Caribbean schools, but many of them are by far better than the many American MD schools. In some specialty areas they are superb--family practice and geriatrics, to name a few!

Resurrection-Power.jpg