Major differences?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by jza70, Apr 25, 2007.

1. jza70

5+ Year Member

Does your major have any weight on your application process to schools? Right now I am a Bio major, but coincidently I have taken certain classes for my upper division which count for a MCD major. If I file the paper work I can change majors, will it make a difference in the selection/application process?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Veneto

Veneto Member
    5+ Year Member

Major has no bearing on whether you get accepted or not. It will all depend on the science courses that you take and how you do in them, coupled with your overall GPA and of course the DAT. Whether you will actually be prepared as well as a science major is another story.

4. pmantz

pmantz Member
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Here is my opinion on majors, school can be difficult. Why get a degree just because you want to look good. Get a degree in something you are interested in, what ever gets you through. And like the previous post said, it really doesn't make a difference.

5. Dauber

Dauber Big Baby Jesus
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental

I think the main reason most schools are admitting mostly biology majors is that those who are interested in dental science/human biology will be interested/best fitted in/for biology. It's more of a correlation than a causation. The adcoms don't care what your major is; you may sit next to a history major first day of dental school.

However personally, I don't understand an interest in diagnosing/working on/treating/whatever human ailments if you're not interested in biology/animal physiology/health. I'll make an exception for those who realized this is their bag after it was too late to switch majors

6. xdianaax

xdianaax In memory of Riley Jane
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I personally am a biology major, and it is very interesting to me, but if i could do it again I would def. be an art major. I mean it does help to have some exposure, but you'll come to find that when you get to dental school that Psych major might be kicking your butt when it comes to sciences. I think it's how well you perform in what suits you best, they can't hold that against you as long as you fulfill the classes they want to see.

7. 2quik

2quik Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i am a bio major too. i wouldve done buisness if i could go back and start over:laugh: