Major for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AznSeal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I am in a huge internal conflict right now. I am currently a second semester sophomore at Auburn University's premed program. My GPA is 3.92 and I already have paid teaching experience and a research fellowship under my belt. I am determined to go to medical school but I have one huge question.

Recently, my dad and I began discussing majors because I have to declare in 1 week. I want to do Zoology because it seems interesting to me, and I feel that learning physiology of mammals, etc will benefit me more int he long run for medical school. The only con is if i don't get into med school, i'm pretty much shafted. He recommends microbiology because if i change my mind on med school, I can always go to grad school. Also, he feels that learning the basic principles of microbes will benefit me more in med school vs learning about bodies, etc. So, i don't know what major to choose.

So it's down to an easier patch in zoology, but it's going all in. Or take the much harder major in microbiology, risk a lower GPA, but have more options.

Members don't see this ad.

Your 3.92 GPA is really good, so assuming you keep up the hard work, and do well on the MCAT, you should be fine for getting acceptance to a medical school. Your undergraduate major really doesn't matter all that much, just do something that you enjoy studying. I have friends that are currently in medical school that majored in music and history.

Unless you are seriously doubting that you want to do medical school, then there is no reason for you not to continue with zoology as your major.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're set on med school, and I can see you have the chops to get accepted, just do the zoology major and keep up the GPA. No sense in mixing up a good thing.

This question's been asked a thousand times on this forum. MAJOR IN WHAT YOU LIKE. I guarantee you will do a LOT better, grades-wise, in a major that you like. If you're really concerned about back-up options, you can double-major or have a more "useful" minor.

I was nutrition... study what you love but always have a solid backup plan

Your 3.92 GPA is really good, so assuming you keep up the hard work, and do well on the MCAT, you should be fine for getting acceptance to a medical school. Your undergraduate major really doesn't matter all that much, just do something that you enjoy studying. I have friends that are currently in medical school that majored in music and history.

Unless you are seriously doubting that you want to do medical school, then there is no reason for you not to continue with zoology as your major.

Yeah OP. You are doing really well academically thus far. Just make sure you get all the checkbox ECs in and score well on the MCAT and you will be fine.

Major In Zoology, you will continue to do well if you're interested in the material you are learning.

Zoology. You would enjoy it much more.
As for me, I would take a Microbiology major in a heartbeat if it was offered at my school.

If you want to major in Zoology and it's perceived as an easier major, than do Zoology. I am a microbiology major and love it but if thats not your cup of tea then do what you want and don't bow down to your father. Plus I doubt whatever you learn in undergrad will really help you out in medical school, don't quote me on this though because I am not a med student.