This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

pess0a123

New Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's getting later in the cycle and I'm getting antsy about not hearing back from my state school. I'm thinking about writing a pre-II LOI and have a couple of questions:

1) I know we are typically cautioned against pre-II LOIs if we don't have major updates to our application, but this school explicitly states that they welcome letters to express continued interest OR provide updates if a certain amount of time has passed since an applicant submitted their secondary. I will probably be able to provide a major update to my application around early/mid-January, but don't know if the wait is worth it if interview slots are filling up.

2) I've been lucky to get a couple of IIs from other schools (all T20 & more highly ranked than my state school). However, this school would be my top choice if costs of attendance were comparable as I want to stay in-state for family reasons and ultimately work as a PCP in my hometown. Can I say this in my LOI? I assume it's gauche to talk about IIs at other schools (esp. since I haven't been admitted anywhere yet), but does it also seem insincere to say, "your school is my top choice" before interviewing?

3) While I am an excellent mission fit for one of the campuses, I'm probably less of a good fit for the other sites. Since campus assignment isn't a guarantee, should I shy away from emphasizing my interest in the programs offered by only one specific campus?

Thanks in advance for any tips/ suggestions for writing these kinds of letters!