Major in Chemistry Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

DrStraggler

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was talking to my advisor today about my major (I'm probably the best definition of confused freshman ever), and he told me that I'd only have to take about 2 extra classes worth of chemistry classes beyond my premedical requirements and about 24 education requirements. Needless to say, I love the overlap and I feel that it's really convenient. But I'm sort of resistant to major in it because I guess in my mind I compare it to professional certificate majors (Nursing, Biotechnology, ect.).

I had a meeting with a Dean of Medicine at one of my state's schools, and he said that him and his board are often resistant to let in Nursing Majors because of their conflicting career goals (And this was one opinion, I have absolutely no idea where nursing majors stand). I don't want it to seem like Medicine isn't my #1 option, I just think that teaching would be a great fall back, because I love being a tutor, and feel like I would do well as a teacher.


Any suggestions??
 
Why don't you just major in chemistry? You could certainly get a job teaching chemistry as a chemistry major (I did before med school!) and it is a common path to medical school. In general, I would say that your major choice doesn't matter and you could certainly get into medical school as a chemistry education major, it's just a bit unusual. I would say to go for chemistry.
 
Sigh.

I'm not talking about you specifically, but something really important to realize is that, just because you're pre-med doesn't mean you have to shape and mold all aspects of your life according to what you think an admissions committee will look favorably upon. I understand the whole wanting to make yourself the most attractive applicant possible, but at some point you need to draw the line and do things for your own reasons.

See: forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=762451
You get the idea.


Do you want the chemistry education major? If so, do it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sigh.

I'm not talking about you specifically, but something really important to realize is that, just because you're pre-med doesn't mean you have to shape and mold all aspects of your life according to what you think an admissions committee will look favorably upon. I understand the whole wanting to make yourself the most attractive applicant possible, but at some point you need to draw the line and do things for your own reasons.

See: forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=762451
You get the idea.


Do you want the chemistry education major? If so, do it.


Hah, I guess you're right. Now, if only I knew what I wanted to do with my life....There comes a point where you have to think seriously about what you want to do, and the fact that you've been good at science (in a HS setting where making ice-cream in chem lab was actually a grade) doesn't mean much.
 
Hah, I guess you're right. Now, if only I knew what I wanted to do with my life....There comes a point where you have to think seriously about what you want to do, and the fact that you've been good at science (in a HS setting where making ice-cream in chem lab was actually a grade) doesn't mean much.

^Yup.
 
Last edited: