Major Problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ComicBookDude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay everyone, if you could give me your input/advice on this situation that would be great. I am going to be a junior this fall. I am majoring in math, have already completed my statistics minor. However, I have 18 credit hours free during my last two years, so I have decided on two options, but I can't choose which one to go with:

1. Major in Math and minor in Stats and Chem (8 more credit hours)
Pros: Diversity away from Math, Chem is always useful in med school, for the MCAT etc. I enjoy chem etc.....
Cons: Minors are not quite as respected as a double major, limited opportunities if I don't get into med school, time intensive (lots of class time fit into 8 credit hours).

2. Double Major in Math/Stats (12 more credit hours)
Pros: Great degrees if I don't get into med school, I enjoy statistics, will retake professors I already had to build relationships with profs. Double major is usually respected more than multiple minors.
Cons: Stats not really useful in med school, stat 300 level courses are very difficult. Stats and math are very similar, so is the double major really needed?

Thanks again every in advance. Sorry about the poor writing above - I just really wanted to get my thoughts out before I forgot! You are all very helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

I couldn't tell specifically from your post, but there's no need to make a decision on your major/minor based on how medical schools will perceive them. They don't care. When you say respected, it should be a matter of personal opinion.

Some things to think about. In my experience, stats is a whole different ballgame than math. Difficult classes may damage your GPA, which will get the adcoms' attention. In both cases, you can get diversity away from math because you have 10 and 6 free elective credit hours, respectively. As long as you have your pre-reqs satisfied, I don't think it'd be too beneficial for you in med school to take upper level chem courses now.

If you're trying to set yourself up with a golden parachute after college, a math major already opens up a lot of options.

If you're asking about what is best vis-a-vis medical school acceptance, then neither option is particularly useful. Medical schools don't care one iota what your major, minor, or double major is. If I were you, I'd use those extra hours to take cake classes that would bump your GPA or something that you're interested in.

If you're asking because you'd like more non-medical school options after graduation, then I've got no clue. So sure, go for the double major.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last summer i did research for a professor at Rush and I found out he was in Rush adcomms so i talked to him about majoring and stuff. Back then I was majoring in Chem, Economics and Philosophy and intending to finish in four years. He told me that majoring in three might be seen as lacking in focus so I did double major and finished in three years because he said "double majors always look good." word for word. If i were you I would do double major in math and stat and tries best so that ur GPA don't drop--if GPA is gonna drop you might wanna consider doing two major. Besides, your math specialization with stat will make it easier to do research in med school and if not med school other jobs. Hope this help :)

The second option would help you a bit more in getting a job if you decide not to go to medical school.

There is no point in doing a double major if you just want to impress adcoms.

Last summer i did research for a professor at Rush and I found out he was in Rush adcomms so i talked to him about majoring and stuff. Back then I was majoring in Chem, Economics and Philosophy and intending to finish in four years. He told me that majoring in three might be seen as lacking in focus so I did double major and finished in three years because he said "double majors always look good." word for word. If i were you I would do double major in math and stat and tries best so that ur GPA don't drop--if GPA is gonna drop you might wanna consider doing two major. Besides, your math specialization with stat will make it easier to do research in med school and if not med school other jobs. Hope this help :)

Thanks alot! I'm not necessarily trying to impress the adcoms. Both are appealing options: Option 1 will help more IN medical school and on the MCAT, option 2 will help if I don't in, have a change of heart at the last second, etc...

I think stats is more useful than chem for med school. Neither is useful enough to justify taking for the sake of med school.

If you do research in med school, you will not do stats analysis. That's what the staff statisticians are for.

Take what interests you, you have NO IDEA how much some of us would give for FreeTime (tm) in the next few years ;) Take whatever you want to take, learn to play an instrument, take a yoga class to stare at hot chicks, get familliar with another language, ...learn more math...

Adcoms don't care what you take in addition to THEIR pre-reqs as long as you get a bachelor's degree (and not ALL schools even require that) and your GPA doesn't tank. It's FREE TIME, have fun with it.

If you do research in med school, you will not do stats analysis. That's what the staff statisticians are for.

I'm getting authorship on a paper for very little work because I did a stats analysis I was not asked to do on some data that I compiled one afternoon while waiting for the DEA to approve my main project.

It is true that you will not be expected to do such analysis, but it can be helpful.

I'm getting authorship on a paper for very little work because I did a stats analysis I was not asked to do on some data that I compiled one afternoon while waiting for the DEA to approve my main project.

It is true that you will not be expected to do such analysis, but it can be helpful.

Ok, so you might CHOOSE to do stats analysis :) Would you agree though that that's not the typical role of a med student in research?