Major wage drops are coming to a Pharmacy near you

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BanBidil

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi al, long time Lurker - I'm not a troll. Recent trend in So Cal has been wages dropping BELOW $50 an hour, especially with PBM. Think about that the next time your deductible, Co-pay and out of pocket maximum goes up. I am sad to say this is just the beginning with more classes coming out in a few years. Contract jobs are popping up left and right as employers seek to minimize operating expenses and benefits. 401K Vesting periods and insurance premiums are only increasing. I would caution anyone considering Pharmacy school to go somewhere you can live at home and pay the least tuition.

PBMs are going overseas for Pharmacists even now when there is a glut to save on costs and answer to share holders:

https://careers.unitedhealthgroup.com/data/jobs/pharmacy/597871-registered-pharmacist

see for yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Which pharmacy school did you graduated from? What city, state do you work in?

See? Even the PBMs are struggling. They can't even pay their employees a living wage!

See? Even the PBMs are struggling. They can't even pay their employees a living wage!

No! The PBMs aren't struggling they just want to continue to destroy the profession by lowering everyone's wages and shipping jobs overseas. We should eliminate PBMs and all the pharmacist jobs they have!

The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

Nothing to see here just the same thing as always.

PBMs are part of what make the pharmacy profession more and more of a joke. Record profits year after year. No benefit to the provider or insured. The model in America has to change.

Sigh, it is illegal for any pharmacy to use a dispensing pharmacist which isn't licensed in the state where the pharmacy is located. This is a job to audit claims.

The sky isn't falling. I'm just giving people a heads up. Genesis they can become licensed in the US too. The best way to go about it would be to make a PBM that is a non profit somehow, where everything is reinvested..

PBM's have historically always paid less than hospital and retail...the trade off has been consistent M-F banker's hours.

This will remain true especially with M&A activity at an all time high.

This isn't really news.

Reactions: 3 users
PBM's have historically always paid less than hospital and retail...the trade off has been consistent M-F banker's hours.

This will remain true especially with M&A activity at an all time high.

This isn't really news.
exactly I got offered a job at one for $43 an hour - that is less than I made my first year out of school 12 years ago. No thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
What city, state were you in when you got the $43 per hour salary offer?

That's the going rate for new grads in hospitals around the Miami area.

I'm getting $45/hr as a per diem at a hospital in South Florida.

What are shift differentials? What does "vest" mean?

Vest means you are finally qualify to collect benefits. I will put this in a sentence:

"Joe was about to vest so we fired him."

Reactions: 5 users
Vest means you are finally qualify to collect benefits. I will put this in a sentence:

"Joe was about to vest so we fired him."

Okay, THIS comment is now comment of the year for 2015. Love the subtlety.

While I know what vesting means, I don't know what a shift differential is either.
really? I guess I knew what that was when I was in school and got one - but ya - most retail RPh's don't have that in their work vocabulary