Major

chickensoup78

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm a senior in High School, and recently I've been doing research about college. Honestly I don't know what major I want to do. But I know that I would like to go into medical school in the future. What was your major, and how did you like it? What was your experience? Also, if you could go back in time would you change your major?

Members don't see this ad.

BA in Music and minors in Business and Econ + MBA

Wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi I'm a senior in High School, and recently I've been doing research about college. Honestly I don't know what major I want to do. But I know that I would like to go into medical school in the future. What was your major, and how did you like it? What was your experience? Also, if you could go back in time would you change your major?
Relax, you have plenty of time to pick a major. Certain majors are convenient for medical school applications solely because there is overlap between the required pre-medical classes and the classes that particular major requires.

I majored in biochemistry; at my school, the biochem kids were BAMFs. Wouldn't change a thing.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@chickensoup78 You can major in whatever you want and med schools should be fine with it, provided you do the pre-reqs.

Why did you choose your major/make a case for your major! (Plugging a thread I made but case in point that there is a lot of diversity in majors among pre-meds and not just science majors.)

I did neuroscience with a minor in music. I used to think I'd pick another major (maybe in hindsight I would have), but after first year of med school I realized maybe not. The brain is really, really cool.

I wanted to be a Neuroscience major too! But alas my school didn't offer it due to lack of funding/professors. So I did Biology and Psychology double majors. I loved it! But I wish I could've done Business Management instead of Biology. I'd try to get an MBA-type of degree if I were you. Many surgeons I've shadowed have strongly recommended an MBA, or at least business-savvy knowledge.

Psychology is a great degree because you can learn so much there is to the human mind/personalities. You learn a bunch about yourself and everyone around you. You'll learn to be more empathetic and I currently do a lot of research in this field. Great stuff!

Biology because it frees up a lot of credits to take completely unrelated stuff that interests me! Political science (may turn into a minor, not sure), cultural ideas on death, glassblowing. I toyed with actually majoring in polisci before I started class, but I had so many higher level bio classes I wanted to take it was like 4/5ths of a major anyways.

Also consider: you will do a lot of things to prepare for med school apps. Your major/minor is one of the few things you can do for you. It should feed into your backup plan--I would teach biology at the college level.

You don't have to pick yet, though.