majors and options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aichan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this network... My friend said I should check it out... I want to become a doctor and was wondering what majors you all have chosen? I am currently a BIO major but have heard from several people it is a good idea to change your major since med schools are looking for diversity and it will help keep your GPA up... I also wanted to see what you all thought about possibly getting your RN prior to med school to help pay for under grad schooling... I have heard that it is much harder to get into med school if you are already a nurse.

Please let me know your thoughts on this one, as I am just starting out and will really appreciate your feed back.

Thank you!

Aichan

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really see the point in getting your RN to pay for undergrad. You need an ADN or BSN degree to become a RN. At any rate, it's not good to apply to med school as a RN.

As far as your degree/major goes, pick whatever you like. It doesn't matter. Every premed and his brother is a crappy biology major.

Get a spanish degree. It will look good. Especially with the growing amount of Mexicans coming to the states.

Members don't see this ad :)
major in whatever makes you happy. that way, you'll do well, and you'll actually ENJOY your four years, probably the last 4 years you'd have to study what you want. so don't do everything based on what the med schools want, just study hard, do well, and don't forget to play every now and then. finding SDN is a good start, so long as you are not a pretentious....

i would advise against getting an RN, it makes the med schools look down upon that, leaving one medical profession to do another before you even had any experience in that field.

Thank you so much everyone for your good advice :)
You all make some very good points, and I am very glad that I found SDN sooner then later... Otherwise I could be on a very bad track to nowhere...:eek:

I think I am definately going to have to put some serious thought into what I will enjoy studying for the next 4 years, and not to worry I will for sure take a language :)

You guys are all great! I'm really glad that SDN is here and I really appreciate all of you!

Good luck everyone!

And thanks again!

Aichan:D

just mirroring...

do pick a major that you think you will enjoy. if you do feel like you have to major in a science, but feel like you want to take classes outside of the sciences...think about picking up a minor in other subjects you enjoy.

i dont know why you would want to pick up an RN just to pay for your undergrad...i mean we are all gonna be in debt so might as well just combine undergrad and med debt and worry about paying it off after you get your MD or DO.

if you want to be an RN because you want the experience then i guess i cant say anything about that. but if its soley to pay off undergrad debt...i dont think you need to go to that extreme.

a good option to think about might be communication sciences and disorders (aka speech and hearing sciences). it's actually pretty rare so many schools might not even have it as an option. i don't think i would have been happier with any other major. here at northwestern, the program is a lot more developed than at most other schools that have it. because of that, i've gotten to take many real interesting courses and i think a lot of them will be helpful in at least some way in medical school. for example, here are some of the courses i've taken:

- head and neck anatomy and physiology
- anat and physio of peripheral hearing
- brain and cognition
- bio. foundations of human communication (basic sensory neurobio)
- psycho-acoustics
- clinical learning disabilities
- clinical audiology
- voice pathologies
- physio laboratory instrumentation
- dysphagia (swallowing disorders)

many of these courses have clinical components (observing etc) so that's also very helpful and interesting. it's very research oriented too. right now, i'm doing my dept thesis on biophysical aspects of vocal cord tissue. so, if you have this major option at your schools, seriously check it out. even the programs that might not be as developed as northwestern's will still provide a real comprehensive and interesting education. a lot of people just don't know about it. my advisor here thinks a lot of bio majors might have liked it if they only knew it existed before it was too late. anyway, just a suggestion - good luck.

Take whatever floats your boat. The best way to get good grades is to major in something YOU LIKE, not something that other people take "just because".

Also don't spend all your time taking classes to look good in medical school. Diversity also helps you to get into med school, as well as becoming a well rounded person.

Just know that going a route away from science MAY make it harder to study for some classes. But big risks can also be associated with big rewards. Using the Spanish major as an example, relative to bio majors, how many Spanish majors apply to medical school...not htat much. However if you do just as good if not better than a bio major, you will have a very unique and powerful application to show to the adcoms.

I agree, choose a major that interests you AND challenges you. Fit in the premed requirements somehow...hopefully aiming to graduate in 4 years. If you love art, or history, or english, it'd be kinda silly to major in bio just because of med school...you can always satisfy those requirements in addition to your regular coursework.

WOW! More food for thought... Yes I never knew about the Communications Disorders... Sounds quite interesting... As far as picking a major now... I have tossed and turned on this one as I have a passion for so many different subjects. I think I will make my decision by the end of this semester...
Yeah, I agree with you all that I shouldn't get my RN and just take being in debt like a man... errr..... a woman.... lol..... I am currently doing an internship at a local hospital and they are so short staffed for nurses they told me that they would give me a full schoalship to nursing school and that they thought it could be a win win situation for me... Getting my RN.... And being able to work more flexible hours and make decent $$$.... But I think they were just trying to sway me now... lol

Thank you everyone for all your help and support!

Aichan

Originally posted by aichan
WOW! More food for thought... Yes I never knew about the Communications Disorders... Sounds quite interesting... As far as picking a major now... I have tossed and turned on this one as I have a passion for so many different subjects. I think I will make my decision by the end of this semester...
Yeah, I agree with you all that I shouldn't get my RN and just take being in debt like a man... errr..... a woman.... lol..... I am currently doing an internship at a local hospital and they are so short staffed for nurses they told me that they would give me a full schoalship to nursing school and that they thought it could be a win win situation for me... Getting my RN.... And being able to work more flexible hours and make decent $$$.... But I think they were just trying to sway me now... lol

Thank you everyone for all your help and support!

Aichan

since you like so many different things, did you ever think of a liberal arts major? a few schools do that now, where you can pick 3 minors and make that a major. my school does that. so say you like spanish, chemistry, and dance. you can minor in all those 3 things and combine it into a liberal arts major.

Originally posted by musiclink213
since you like so many different things, did you ever think of a liberal arts major? a few schools do that now, where you can pick 3 minors and make that a major. my school does that. so say you like spanish, chemistry, and dance. you can minor in all those 3 things and combine it into a liberal arts major.

:) Good idea... I will look into it and see if that is a way to go or not, since the subjects that interest me the most are chemistry, biology, physics, psychology and math.... lol

I actually spoke with a couselor at my school last night and she suggested that I pick either biology or chemistry for pre-med (I love both of these subjects, challenging but oh how I love it)... I guess I will just have to suffer the GPA hits like every other BIO major. lol... So now I am looking at campuses to see what school I want to transfer to :)

Thanks you guys! This network rules!

Aichan

major in whatever you are best in (hopefully that is also what you like best). personally I wouldn't listen to all the babble about diversity in majors and not being a bio major or taking this major over that, what matters is what you do in your major. do keep in mind that no matter what you choose you have to complete certain classes (you can get the requirements from your counselor). hope this helps, good luck!
bio-loving animal physiology and neuroscience major
(Jefferson Medical College Class of 2008)

Members don't see this ad :)
oh just thought of something else-
if you a REALLY interested in another area of study double-major. My roomate (who will be applying to med school soon) is a bio and psychology double major. I also have a friend who is a music and biochem major . . you can pick any random combination of subjects that suit you fancy!

just to echo what others have said...

in my interviews, i've met majors from biology (of course!) to chemical engineering to ecology to russian literature. your choice of major shouldn't hold you back. just make sure you get enough science to rock the mcat!

Originally posted by celticmists18
major in whatever you are best in (hopefully that is also what you like best). personally I wouldn't listen to all the babble about diversity in majors and not being a bio major or taking this major over that, what matters is what you do in your major. do keep in mind that no matter what you choose you have to complete certain classes (you can get the requirements from your counselor). hope this helps, good luck!
bio-loving animal physiology and neuroscience major
(Jefferson Medical College Class of 2008)

Thank you! Great advice... However, don't you think it wouldn't be the best idea, to like be a dance major and then be pre-med? Not that I am thinking of that, but was just thinking that some majors are better suited for pre-med? Especially since from what I've heard the MCAT is math, science and english? Maybe it doesn't make a difference since you have to take certain classes anyways, so you would get a good understanding of the material... By the way where is Jefferson Medical College? And congrats and good luck!

Originally posted by velouria
just to echo what others have said...

in my interviews, i've met majors from biology (of course!) to chemical engineering to ecology to russian literature. your choice of major shouldn't hold you back. just make sure you get enough science to rock the mcat!

Good to know.... Thank you!
By the way, what is considered to be a good MCAT score??? Does it make a difference if you want to go to med school in a certain state?

your general education reqs for your university and the classes that the med schools req. you to have taken are all you need to prepare you for the MCAT, which leaves you free to major/minor in anything you want. i would advise you NOT to be a "pre-med" major (assuming you school has that major), it indicates a lack of forward thinking on you part (shows you haven't considered what you will do if God forbid your don't get into med school). If you are really worried about the science, take a few extra bio classes, but remember med school is going to teach you all you need (hopefully). FYI: Jefferson MC is in Philadelphia, check it out it supposed to be a great school. I got a really great impression when I interviewed there, the class is really close and the school is really focused on producing quality clinicians.

Good point.... I didn't even think of that... I guess I will have to notify my school counselor to change my major... :eek: Since I spoke with her yesterday and told her what I wanted to do, she changed my declared major to pre-med....

So... your on the east coast... burrrrrrr.... lol..... I will definately check it out :) Although, I would love to stay in California, I have to keep my options open....

Thank you again! :)

Aichan

I'm a californian too, and I'm definitely not looking forward to the weather. Just so you know you will be applying to a lot more schools than most applicants (read, those from other states). But even if you go out of state for med school you can come back for residency!

I'm a californian too, and I'm definitely not looking forward to the weather. Just so you know you will be applying to a lot more schools than most applicants (read, those from other states). But even if you go out of state for med school you can come back for residency!

Hey cool! Where abouts are you in CA???

Why is it that people from Cali have to apply to more schools the out of staters?

And I didn't know you could do your residency somewhere else... That's pretty cool... :)

you have to apply for residency . . . they have this thing called the match. its kinda hard to explain, but basicallly you apply, you interview, you rank the programs and the programs rank you, all the rankings go into a computer and it spits our residency assingments. there are a bunch of threads about why CA have to apply to a bunch of schools but the short answer is the CA seems to export premeds (we just have to dang many) and this is due to the fact that our state med schools have pretty small classes (100-150) and they are some of the best medical schools in the country (public or otherwise).
P.S. I grew up in Palo Alto/Los Altos (South Bay) and went to school at UCSD

you have to apply for residency . . . they have this thing called the match. its kinda hard to explain, but basicallly you apply, you interview, you rank the programs and the programs rank you, all the rankings go into a computer and it spits our residency assingments. there are a bunch of threads about why CA have to apply to a bunch of schools but the short answer is the CA seems to export premeds (we just have to dang many) and this is due to the fact that our state med schools have pretty small classes (100-150) and they are some of the best medical schools in the country (public or otherwise).
P.S. I grew up in Palo Alto/Los Altos (South Bay) and went to school at UCSD

Thank you so much! You have been such a great help!
Applying for residency huh? Well, I guess you gotta do what you gotta do... Especially if Cali is exporting pre-med students... I really hope I get to stay here, that means nose to the grindstone for me... :) I am planning to transfer either to UCI, UCLA, or UCSD to complette my undergrad... I am a socal gal, and would love to keep it that way... :)

Good luck to you!

PLEASE repeat "THERE IS NOT A COURSE OF STUDY CALLED "PRE-MED". You want to go to med school but you do not major in pre-med.

As stated earlier - major in what you love and will do well in!!!!!!

If you want to major in a science, minor in something off the wall;
mine is Bio major with minors in Bio-Chem and Leadership Studies.
The Leadership Studies gives me a chance to do internship's in the community.

You need to do some research on your own. Go to AAMC.org and look up facts about applicants and MCAT stats. Go to Accept.com for other good help. Lots of other good sites. Do your own research and don't just depend on other's opinion.

What school do you want to attend? From your post I gather you are still in HS. Visit a school you might want to attend and talk the students and science advisor. Ask what their acceptance rate to medical school is and what majors at their schools do the best on the MCAT. I have visited several med schools in my state and have found that if I hang around there is always someone who will carry on a conversation and tell me what their school is really like.

On the AAMC site you can check out the stat's are on acceptance rates and MCAT scores by major. From what I have heard Philosophy and Economic majors do well on the MCAT.

CHECK IT OUT YOUR SELF!!!!

Good luck.