Majors Galore!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweetie

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI everyone, just wondering:

What are your majors/degrees in? Do u have two? Is one or both something other than biology? Like Psych perhaps? And if so, have u found that your "non-science" type major hurt u or helped u in getting accepted and your gpa?

PLEASE respond with your experiences i think this is an important thing to be discussed amongst us.

THANKS!
;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi sweetie,

My majors include:

Neurobiology
Asian Languages and Literature

From my understanding it really doesn't matter what major you are. However, the two majors that I am in are pretty rare since only several schools have neurobiology and asian languages and literature was like a "hobby" major for me.

I do notice schools paying more attention to me. I think UPENN definately gave me an interview due to my major selection since UPENN is one of the few schools that publically states that they are looking for a variety of majors and backgrounds. If you look on their website they will have a list of matriculated students with their majors.

If you are doing a non-science major I would recommend either business or languages. I wish I took some business classes in undergrad. However, not many people can speak other languages. Thats why I picked UW for my undergrad since there are, I think, over 50 languages that are offered :p

DesiDentist

Hey,

My major was formally called "Biochemestry and Molecular Biology," and I really have no idea how it stands with the addmissions committees. I DO know that studying for the DAT is about six times easier than someone who has not had a lot of science courses. I find that I have to "learn" a lot less material because I have had it in so many classes. For instance, I had to take Quantitative Analysis, which is basically a class on solutions chemistry (acid/base, equillibrium, and EVERYTHING ANAL in chemistry) and I see know that I have a much better understanding of the chemistry section on the DAT than I would have.

My minor is in physics, and i *hope* that admissions committees look favorably on this because I was bombarded with tough semester after tough semester. Maybe it makes me look narrow in the sciences, but I doubt it because I also took a lot of other classes. I also am quite accomplished at ballet, and was VERY involved in the dance program at my school....so I like to think that makes me look a little more well-rounded.

As far a choosing your major, I really don't think it matters. It's the CLASSES you take that will mater. I met with the Dean of Addmissions at OHSU, and she basically told me that they would like you to take upper level science classes such as physiology, histology, anatamy, biochemistry, etc. So as long as you have some of those in your repitoire, you'll be fine.

Maybe I'm rambling, but I hope that helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with everyone who replied :D. I think dental schools welcome diversity in majors, and that it shouldn't matter what your major is as long as you fulfill the pre-dental requirements, some upper-levels science classes, and show that you can perform well in them and on your DAT's, like the science sections. (My major was Philosophy, and I minored in Biology). Oh, and also have some shadowing experience at a dental setting. Good luck picking a major!

I was a Psychology major with a Chemistry minor. I've heard that schools actually LIKE the diversity of a non-science major in their programs. Although......that being said, my GPA was definitely upped because of the relatively simpler Psyc classes I was taking in comparison to my Bio and Chem major friends whose GPA's were considerably lower than mine. Don't think the schools don't take that into consideration!! Hmm.....a 3.2 Biophysics vs. a 3.6 Physical Education?? :rolleyes:

Like someone said above, though, I think it IS important to take as many upper division sciences as you can fit in. I just happened to take Anatomy, Physiology, and Micro the first couple yrs of college and it really helped on my DAT. Other liberal arts students probably take Gen Bio and that's it. So much harder to do well on the DAT that way.

In my experience, if you're doing well in your sciences, it will probably help you getting in to stand out a bit from the crowd of Biology majors.....to take something like a language, English, Art, etc. My opinion.

hey desi!

my majors are the SAME as yours!!! :D i guess we can form a club here. how about that?
good luck to u!

~Qoo

Qoo,

That is awesome. What languages are you studying?
My focus is on Middle Eastern/South Asian Languages including:

Hindi
Persian
Arabic
Urdu

Neurobiology is a competitive major at UW, they only have room for like 40-45 people a year. How 'bout you?

DesiDentist

Desidentist,

Wow, you speak all those languages?? that's impressive. I'm only doing a concentration in Japanese language and culture.
:)

As for neuro, it's not that competitive to get in. but there're only a few of us doing this major. reason? calculus based physics :laugh:

~Qoo

major 1:Biology (like everyone else)
major 2: Dental laboratory Technology (I'm sleeping thru dental materials, waxing, tooth morphology etc..)

Qoo,

I'm taking Arabic next quarter. I know enough Persian so carry on a simple conversation and reading childrens books. However, I wanted to delve into languages so I can pick up the pace later when I really want to become fluent.

DesiDentist

i changed my major from computer science to biology my junior year. It's okay not to know what your major is, but if you want to be a dentist, just be sure to take your pre-reqs.