Majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mikaayykon

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am currently a pre-nursing major but I am officially switching majors and transferring schools because I am at a state school that is not very well respected. I am not sure what to switch my major to, so I was wondering what you are all majoring in.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think I want to stay in the sciences but I also know undergrad is an opportunity to explore other interests so I'm a little torn

If you want, take some introductory classes in multiple departments and see which you like best, or talk to upperclassmen who are majoring in one department or the other and see what their experiences have been like.
 
If you want, take some introductory classes in multiple departments and see which you like best, or talk to upperclassmen who are majoring in one department or the other and see what their experiences have been like.

yeah, I think I'm going to talk to some people in other majors, thank you!

You're switching schools because your university isn't respected? I hope there's better reasons than that lol

The placement rate from here is very low
 
yeah, I think I'm going to talk to some people in other majors, thank you!



The placement rate from here is very low
Placement rates describe student bodies, not individual students. Your personal likelihood doesn't depend that much on uni, it's just that some unis have more high-likelihood students
 
My school apparently has low placement rates as well, and I will admit, it is a tiny bit worrisome. A lot of the students at my school for pre-med all have to compete with the state U just down the street for the few volunteer spots open. Luckily, I found something that works, and while unconventional, it is definitely an interesting experience. Your pre-med experience isn't wholly based on where you go, it's what you do with where you are.

To answer OPs original question, my major is music. It drew my interest when I started talking to the choir director. I had always been able to sing, but now, I can call myself a musician, and hopefully, a doctor in the coming years.
 
My major was health sciences pre-clinical track but major in whatever you enjoy and feel you can excel in. Just make sure you complete the pre-reqs and remember a lot of schools now require a few classes in psych/sociology and maybe take a few upper level science credits if it is not included in the major you pick. My school has a major called interdisciplinary studies which I wish I would have chosen and you take classes in 3 different majors so you get a variety and do not have to take the pointless classes in the usual majors