SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Make it?

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Dr.Biassi, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Dr.Biassi

Dr.Biassi 2+ Year Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Do you think you can make it in pharmacy school without any family help (Financial, emotional)? Well people will said loan are for that but most of the time loan are not enough. You will call daddy or mommy for some money!!!Anybody experienced this? How is it?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mike36

mike36 7+ Year Member

Feb 21, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm not sure how I'm going to make it at this point. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get A LOT of aid from the school (I just filled out the FAFSA). Not only do I have tuition and books, but I have rent and living expenses and no room mate.

Oh, and my parents are completely out of the picture. No help will be coming from them at all. It's all on me.

4. KellyBean

KellyBean 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    In the middle of nowhere
    If it's not enough, take out private loans. My parents would be the last persons I go for money. Also would probably be the last persons that I would come home whining to. The last thing I want to do is to worry them. Just suck it up and move on.

5. shaun009

shaun009 Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2006
    I'm very new to the whole financial side of things... If we can't get enough money through FAFSA and loans like the Stafford loan.. Can we just take out private loans to cover it? I am accepted and will do anything to go.

6. Dr.Biassi

Dr.Biassi 2+ Year Member

Sep 22, 2006
    If you have a worthy credit you can do that. Please let not make this the whole financial aid stuff. I need to see what ya really think about the subject.My dad doesn't agree with me going to pharmacy schools and moving to CA. So I'm sure when i will be needing his help he won't lift up a finger!!!!!!

7. ButlerPharm.D.

ButlerPharm.D. Honor Before Glory 5+ Year Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Yes, you can take out private loans to cover the remaining cost. Look into Sallie Mae Signature loans if you are considered and undergraduate student or the Graduate Plus Loan if you are considered a graduate student.

8. fmbzp5

fmbzp5 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I feel by the simple fact that I have graduated from college that you know my parents shouldn't still be my support in times of need. It is one thing to continue to have a well founded relationship with your family but to keep running back for money doesn't seem to have that trying to become a professional feel to it.

I love my family but I hope if people are in a graduate program, they can act like an adult.

9. eelo

eelo 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I can see where this would be a concern if you're 18-19-20 years old, but if you're older than that, then your father's approval would be nice but it's certainly not required. Unless, of course, you're depending on your father to pay your way through school.

If Dad is paying the money, then dad mey feel he has a say in where you go/what you do. If you don't want Dad to have that kind of control, you need to cut the strings and go it alone. You aren't the first person to do this, and you definitely won't be the last. Still, I think that when your father sees that you're successful in your studies, he'll come around.

10. KellyBean

KellyBean 2+ Year Member

Jan 14, 2007
    In the middle of nowhere
    If your dad doesn't want you to go to pharmacy school, that means he must want you to go to med school. Well...you already applied and got accepted. It's not like you just fill out a piece of paper and get accepted. You had to get LORs, waited for the interview, flew there for an interview, and finally got accepted. If you had doubts and cared so much about your dad's saying, then why did you do all of that? Isn't it a bit late to raise these kind of questions?

You need his help for what? To pay for school?? To help you with your homework?

11. GatorRxGirl

GatorRxGirl 5+ Year Member

Sep 23, 2005
    Somewhere on the beach.
    Private loans are the way to go.

12. fmbzp5

fmbzp5 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    thinking of my fiancee brings up a good point about this subject. From day one her parents didn't want her to even go to college but instead to a tech school. They could not afford to give her any money to help make it through school. She has since graduated with an AAS in biotechnology and a BS in biology while being on the deans list and working full time throughout. Now she will attend pharmacy school herself without any family support besides good luck and she is doing just fine.

Those students that have matured enough to forge ahead on their own will probably be more sucessful in school than those that constantly rely on others to get them through. not to take a cheap shot at anyone but still one has to reach a point of self guidance as a professional to even be considered a professional

13. Dr.Biassi

Dr.Biassi 2+ Year Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ok So farI paid formy tuition and everything. I got a good scholarship to pay for tuition. I got some loan for housing and work for 20 hours a week to survive. I just call on my dad when I need money to have a lil fun and he pays my car insurance. That's is. With pharmacy school application I'm so broke and this summer I will have to take two classes. I'm paying myself. I'm afraid i won't have enough money to move to the west coast. And people are saying you cannot work while in pharmacy school coz it is so hard. I'm depressing here!!!!!

14. sputnik25

sputnik25 2+ Year Member

Feb 2, 2007
    SoCal
    Financial Aid and private loans are the way to go. You'll be fine, borrow enough money to have a comfortable life here in Ca and pay it off when you're done.

15. sprinkle0420

sprinkle0420 New Member 2+ Year Member

Jul 29, 2006
    fremont, ca
    I'm hoping once i get into a pharmacy school I get a decent financial aid package since my parents don't have the money to help me through grad school...they couldn't even help me out monetarily during my undergrad at Berkeley and I'm already 11 grand in debt from that :(. Hopefully wherever I get accepted there is Hooters within driving distance so I can make that money while going to school LOL

16. fmbzp5

fmbzp5 7+ Year Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA

Hey I support that thought! Watch kellybean now yell at me hehe