Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Make up part of a rotation on the weekend?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by starry sky, Jul 27, 2006.

1. starry sky

starry sky Junior Member

I know this sounds a little crazy, but is it possible to go in an extra day on the weekend for a couple weeks if you anticipate having to miss a few days later on during the same rotation? Has anyone ever heard of this being done before? Thanks.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps Walker, Texas Ranger

Medical Student
    It depends on the rotation. On most if not all rotations, though, weekend days are significantly easier than weekdays, so a weekend day may not be considered a valid 'trade' for a weekday. At my school, if someone had to miss several days, they generally had to be made up during the next break.

4. RugbyJC

RugbyJC Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]

I have heard horror stories of students trying to get a day or two off for a family emergency and then winding up with 4 extra weeks of inpatient for IM, but these might just be stories.

I am on IM and a classmate is getting married on a Sunday. One of my classmates in Surgery had no problem getting the day off, but I am, so it really depends on your school. Ask upperclassman if you can.

5. kauai

kauai Member

Medical Student
    I think this is very school specific or even clerkship specific. From what I've seen, if you have a good reason for missing several days, most clerkship directors will work with you (within the confines of the school's rules for makeup days). I know of one situation, where a student made up four or five days on weekends during a clerkship. I think it's mostly clerkship direcor and school dependent.

6. mdphd2b

mdphd2b Hepato-phile

Attending Physician
    In my next rotation (beginning next week), I had to get approval from the Clerkship director for a day I know I will be missing. He said he would work with me individually to set-up make-up hours or a weekend day, most likely at a different location.

7. Igor

Igor Junior Member

If you know you're going to miss a specific day, talk to your clerkship director and explain why. They can usually make sure you won't be on call or post call that day.

If it were a student on my service, I would be fine with this (I would view it as arranging days off in a way that worked better for them). If possible, offer to work/round the same total number of days as all the other students on the rotation (find out that number first and arrange a schedule that works for you). They're shouldn't be any major problems.

It gets harder if you're changing services (switching ward teams or hospitals) mid rotation - try hard to "make up" the days with the same team if you can.