Make up part of a rotation on the weekend?

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by starry sky, Jul 27, 2006.

1. starry sky

starry sky Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

I know this sounds a little crazy, but is it possible to go in an extra day on the weekend for a couple weeks if you anticipate having to miss a few days later on during the same rotation? Has anyone ever heard of this being done before? Thanks.

2. RustNeverSleeps

RustNeverSleeps Walker, Texas Ranger
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It depends on the rotation. On most if not all rotations, though, weekend days are significantly easier than weekdays, so a weekend day may not be considered a valid 'trade' for a weekday. At my school, if someone had to miss several days, they generally had to be made up during the next break.

3. RugbyJC

RugbyJC Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

I have heard horror stories of students trying to get a day or two off for a family emergency and then winding up with 4 extra weeks of inpatient for IM, but these might just be stories.

I am on IM and a classmate is getting married on a Sunday. One of my classmates in Surgery had no problem getting the day off, but I am, so it really depends on your school. Ask upperclassman if you can.

4. kauai

kauai Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think this is very school specific or even clerkship specific. From what I've seen, if you have a good reason for missing several days, most clerkship directors will work with you (within the confines of the school's rules for makeup days). I know of one situation, where a student made up four or five days on weekends during a clerkship. I think it's mostly clerkship direcor and school dependent.

5. mdphd2b

mdphd2b Hepato-phile
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    In my next rotation (beginning next week), I had to get approval from the Clerkship director for a day I know I will be missing. He said he would work with me individually to set-up make-up hours or a weekend day, most likely at a different location.

6. Igor

Igor Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

If you know you're going to miss a specific day, talk to your clerkship director and explain why. They can usually make sure you won't be on call or post call that day.

If it were a student on my service, I would be fine with this (I would view it as arranging days off in a way that worked better for them). If possible, offer to work/round the same total number of days as all the other students on the rotation (find out that number first and arrange a schedule that works for you). They're shouldn't be any major problems.

It gets harder if you're changing services (switching ward teams or hospitals) mid rotation - try hard to "make up" the days with the same team if you can.