Make up part of a rotation on the weekend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starry sky

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this sounds a little crazy, but is it possible to go in an extra day on the weekend for a couple weeks if you anticipate having to miss a few days later on during the same rotation? Has anyone ever heard of this being done before? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

starry sky said:
I know this sounds a little crazy, but is it possible to go in an extra day on the weekend for a couple weeks if you anticipate having to miss a few days later on during the same rotation? Has anyone ever heard of this being done before? Thanks.

It depends on the rotation. On most if not all rotations, though, weekend days are significantly easier than weekdays, so a weekend day may not be considered a valid 'trade' for a weekday. At my school, if someone had to miss several days, they generally had to be made up during the next break.

starry sky said:

I have heard horror stories of students trying to get a day or two off for a family emergency and then winding up with 4 extra weeks of inpatient for IM, but these might just be stories.

I am on IM and a classmate is getting married on a Sunday. One of my classmates in Surgery had no problem getting the day off, but I am, so it really depends on your school. Ask upperclassman if you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this is very school specific or even clerkship specific. From what I've seen, if you have a good reason for missing several days, most clerkship directors will work with you (within the confines of the school's rules for makeup days). I know of one situation, where a student made up four or five days on weekends during a clerkship. I think it's mostly clerkship direcor and school dependent.

starry sky said:

In my next rotation (beginning next week), I had to get approval from the Clerkship director for a day I know I will be missing. He said he would work with me individually to set-up make-up hours or a weekend day, most likely at a different location.

If you know you're going to miss a specific day, talk to your clerkship director and explain why. They can usually make sure you won't be on call or post call that day.

If it were a student on my service, I would be fine with this (I would view it as arranging days off in a way that worked better for them). If possible, offer to work/round the same total number of days as all the other students on the rotation (find out that number first and arrange a schedule that works for you). They're shouldn't be any major problems.

It gets harder if you're changing services (switching ward teams or hospitals) mid rotation - try hard to "make up" the days with the same team if you can.