Makeshift Home Gym/Workouts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know it seems like a lot but early on I knew this was going to be an issue so I bought the standard power rack with pull-up/dip extensions for bench/squat/DL/SSP rotations. It is a bit of a $$$ investment so only do it if lifting is really one of your passions. The rack itself is ($250), but you have to account for the olympic barbell ($70), 4-6 45#, a couple 25#, and 10#($300), and weight holders/clips/etc ($100). Overall, you're looking at $700-$800 and a weekend of assembly.

Pros:
1.) More portable than you think.
2.) Not as loud as you'd think unless you're one of those sumo-deadlifters who drops weights. Your roommate or whoever is under you may have issues with that.
3.) You don't have to leave your room and can work out everyday in the AM.

Cons:
1.) You've committed yourself to UHaul services each time you move.
2.) $$ described above.
3.) You miss out on accessory work like hamstring work, flies, etc.

Also, don't assume gyms are closed. Most are starting to open in full capacity with low traffic which is music to any lifters ears. Just be careful though. Apparently masking has become a bit of a political issue and lifters aren't the most mask-friendly people. My gym hardly has people wearing masks, temperature checks are for namesake (employees only check you if they're up front), and not to mention blue-lives matter flags plastered around the gym.
How are you supposed to wear a mask while working out? Like if I run a treadmill with a mask, i have to stop after a minute or two from running out of breath.

Members don't see this ad.

How are you supposed to wear a mask while working out? Like if I run a treadmill with a mask, i have to stop after a minute or two from running out of breath.
You get used to it actually, very quickly. I usually do pull mine down past my nose but breathe in through my nose out through my mouth and it catches most of my breath. No, it isn't perfect, no, it probably won't stop Covid transmission but everyone at the gym does the same. Gym is not the safest place if you're afraid of Covid tbh.

I accepted the risk. Was a personal choice. I do use my mask normally for weights/stretching. Just straight cardio I pull it down past my nose.

I know it seems like a lot but early on I knew this was going to be an issue so I bought the standard power rack with pull-up/dip extensions for bench/squat/DL/SSP rotations. It is a bit of a $$$ investment so only do it if lifting is really one of your passions. The rack itself is ($250), but you have to account for the olympic barbell ($70), 4-6 45#, a couple 25#, and 10#($300), and weight holders/clips/etc ($100). Overall, you're looking at $700-$800 and a weekend of assembly.

Pros:
1.) More portable than you think.
2.) Not as loud as you'd think unless you're one of those sumo-deadlifters who drops weights. Your roommate or whoever is under you may have issues with that.
3.) You don't have to leave your room and can work out everyday in the AM.

Cons:
1.) You've committed yourself to UHaul services each time you move.
2.) $$ described above.
3.) You miss out on accessory work like hamstring work, flies, etc.

Also, don't assume gyms are closed. Most are starting to open in full capacity with low traffic which is music to any lifters ears. Just be careful though. Apparently masking has become a bit of a political issue and lifters aren't the most mask-friendly people. My gym hardly has people wearing masks, temperature checks are for namesake (employees only check you if they're up front), and not to mention blue-lives matter flags plastered around the gym.
That isn't that bad at all.

I think a small work out room is my first order of business once I move in a few months into my attending job. Was also going to get a personal trainer and a gym with hopefully some more socialization and class than a planet fitness. I will have the time and the resources finally and thought that would really work for me. I just need to not gain weight or go backwards between now and then, and any small gains I think will help a lot. Five more months.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You get used to it actually, very quickly. I usually do pull mine down past my nose but breathe in through my nose out through my mouth and it catches most of my breath. No, it isn't perfect, no, it probably won't stop Covid transmission but everyone at the gym does the same. Gym is not the safest place if you're afraid of Covid tbh.

I accepted the risk. Was a personal choice. I do use my mask normally for weights/stretching. Just straight cardio I pull it down past my nose.

I think for aerobic exercise (treadmill) there shouldn't be a mask mandate. For heavy/low rep lifting though, I wear a mask and it makes no difference. n=1. As a separate point, I have had a lot of success with long distance running in the cold with the below the nose mask technique. It's an aid to prevent exercise/cold induced cough.

Last edited:
Got on Facebook marketplace and got a good deal on some spinlock dumbbells, can go up to 60 lbs on each. you can do a bazillion different exercises with dumbbells, I just watched some YouTube videos on full body exercises with em. Hoping to buy a bench press and/or squat rack soon

doorframe pull-up bar is great as well, found a good one for like 15 bucks

running for cardio. have kept In decent shape with the pandemic with this stuff

never know when those gyms are gonna open up again haha

Make sure you buy one that can be bolted in place or buy a standing one. If you fall when it gets dislodged, your tailbone bone will never feel the same. I'd trade 2 years of gains for a non-bruised tailbone given all the sitting that's necessary in our field.

Reactions: 1 user
Hijacking this thread to get suggestions for new wrist wraps. I'm thinking about getting some Rogue Fitness ones. I want thicker/stiffer wraps not thin ones you wrap around a million times. Any input appreciated.

@BacktotheBasics, out of curiosity, which brand power rack did you buy? I built/welded mine many years ago so I've never bought one and a friend wants to buy one. I have no clue what a good deal is in this area.