Study or Workout in morning?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MEDSCHOOL 14

Reaction score
I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos and people say studying in morning before class is very helpful, but I was wondering if anyone had a different study methods they recommend as I want to workout in mornings. Probably workout at 6-6:30am before class and then study after class. Or if you think studying before class is more beneficial and then working out in afternoon, lmk!

I would ideally like the review through anki what I studied the day before and then move onto new material for the next day after I have reviewed the previous material. Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to workout before class, then workout before class.

If you want to study before class, study before class.

Your choice. No wrong answers.

Reactions: 6 users
I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos and people say studying in morning before class is very helpful, but I was wondering if anyone had a different study methods they recommend as I want to workout in mornings. Probably workout at 6-6:30am before class and then study after class. Or if you think studying before class is more beneficial and then working out in afternoon, lmk!

I would ideally like the review through anki what I studied the day before and then move onto new material for the next day after I have reviewed the previous material. Thank you for your input!
Why not both?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would tell students if you want to work out, and I recommend it, you gat an hour a day. That's it.one of my advisers who was a personal trainer lost 30 lbs over 2 years. He wasn't happy but understood why he had to limit workouts. Morning exercise is great imo, it wakes you up and endorphins help deal with the study grind. As far as how you study, just find what works for you. My wife went to class to socialize and graduated top 10 %, I slept with an open book on top of my head and prayed for Osmosis. Good luck and best wishes!

Reactions: 1 users

It depends on what is more important to you. I put my energy into studying. Whatever is leftover comes later.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not both?
Some people can do it. However, I think some times should be reserved for just letting your brain go where it wants. Working out is perfect for this. You're basically "on" 12-16 hours/day in medical school. Even when you're not studying or on the wards, you are worrying about the chores you neglected every other day or random life stuff like taxes or loans or whatever. If you fill the one completely brainless part of your day with the background hum of study podcasts I think eventually you'll go nuts.

I did this during dedicated study period for step 1. I was ankiing on the bus and while walking places. I was listening to podcasts while driving or working out. Eventually my brain just gave out on me. Give yourself some time every day to take a breather mentally.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Standard Preface: n=1 here, so just my experience.

I like to run, preferably in the morning, for my physical, mental, & emotional health. I'm currently on clerkships and find that, as you might expect, you do have to wake up earlier to be able to workout/exercise before being at the hospital. Something I have found helpful is listening to medically-related podcasts while running. When I was on FM I would listen to the AFP podcast and now that I'm about to start OB I am going to listen to CREOGs over Coffee. So depending on what you like to do and how you like to learn, it can be BOTH rather than an either/or situation.

I have this huge problem of not being able to sleep at night unless I have done a solid amount of studying. It's pretty bad. I end up having little productivity between 11AM and 7PM and then I have to study from 7PM-3AM and then wake up at 11AM to start the cycle all over again.

• Sad
In med school I did my studying and lectures in the AM; because I was the freshest. Then worked out early afternoon to get a boost before another study session before winding down for sleep in the evening. I could never get up early enough to work out before hand.

Now as an attending; I HAVE to work out in the AM. Or it just ain't happening after a full day of clinical work (too drained....). So now my alarm goes off at 4am; and I love it. I feel great all day then go right to sleep at night.

Whichever works for you.

In med school I did my studying and lectures in the AM; because I was the freshest. Then worked out early afternoon to get a boost before another study session before winding down for sleep in the evening. I could never get up early enough to work out before hand.

Now as an attending; I HAVE to work out in the AM. Or it just ain't happening after a full day of clinical work (too drained....). So now my alarm goes off at 4am; and I love it. I feel great all day then go right to sleep at night.

Whichever works for you.

But then what time do you sleep?