Makeup for Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maplecookie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a interview coming up and had a question about makeup. I am a female and have never really worn makeup before besides lip gloss and lotion/sunscreen. How critical would it be to have makeup on/is it absolutely necessary? I realize there is a lot of tutorials and stuff online but I am busy right now writing my thesis and the time/money in trying different products is kind of intimidating. Also, just for information's sake it will be MMI format and my first interview >_<. If anyone could provide insight that would be great. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't normally wear makeup, don't feel like you have to for the interview! It's better to look and feel like yourself! If you want to try something (to look older, more awake, more professional, whatever), don't bother with tutorials or anything. Just head to your local CVS or Walgreens and pick up some mascara (anything in the $8-10 range should be "good enough" quality). Mascara is subtle enough that you don't feel like you're wearing a lot of make-up, but it definitely makes you look a little more put together!

Good luck with your MMI! From my experience, just be yourself, smile, be conversational, and consider all perspectives!

Reactions: 2 users
I second to what's above. To add, if you're not super comfortable putting on makeup, don't add to the stress of interview day by also having to worry about doing your makeup properly. For my interviews I went simple with cover up for any blemishes and a little mascara if I was feeling it that day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses!
My sister recently gave me something I think is foundation which I might try. I'll see if I can get and try out the mascara as well.
I'm so glad this isn't a critical thing; I'm really nervous for my interview as it is and this makes me feel slightly better ^^

Hello,

I have a interview coming up and had a question about makeup. I am a female and have never really worn makeup before besides lip gloss and lotion/sunscreen. How critical would it be to have makeup on/is it absolutely necessary? I realize there is a lot of tutorials and stuff online but I am busy right now writing my thesis and the time/money in trying different products is kind of intimidating. Also, just for information's sake it will be MMI format and my first interview >_<. If anyone could provide insight that would be great. Thank you!

Hello! First of all, congratulations on your first interview at this point in the cycle! I am also someone who doesn't really wear makeup.
If you could spare $20 or so, you could be pretty minimal about makeup that would make you look presentable. For me, I used:
- BB cream consistent with your skin tone
- foundation (the powdery kind, usually comes with its own applicator) to touch up. I have slightly pinker areas on my face, and the foundation helps smooth them out
- blush - you can even just buy a "stick" which you rub in with your fingers if you don't like the powder
- concealer - for the bags under my eyes from all those late nights lol

Optionally, you can use eyeshadow for some contrast. I don't like mascara or eyeliner because I always rub my eyes without thinking (because I don't wear makeup).

Good luck! Message me if you have any questions about this or anything else :)

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, I'm really lucky for the chance and really hope it goes well >_<
Ohh that is a good point with the eyes thing. As it is I think I touch my face a lot more because I recently got glasses when I'm not used to having them and so I keep messing with them.
Thank you!

Yes, I'm really lucky for the chance and really hope it goes well >_<
Ohh that is a good point with the eyes thing. As it is I think I touch my face a lot more because I recently got glasses when I'm not used to having them and so I keep messing with them.
Thank you!

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a male, so my input 99.9% doesn't matter... but girl you look great! Mama PhilzCoffeeAddict told me that every girl is pretty and its what's on the inside that counts! =]

Also, wearing make up when you normally don't might throw you off. I would just do your regular routine but throw in that business professional suit.

Reactions: 4 users
I think everyone's advice is great, but I'd like to add a few nuances.

If you're going to wear makeup to the interview, try wearing the makeup you're going to put on for the interview for at least two full days to get used to having it on you. Not only will you get used it, but you'll also see how your makeup runs at the end of the day. Interestingly enough, it kinda smudges differently on everyone.

Get everything-proof makeup. You'll be running around in MMIs (literally) and you don't want makeup sweat streaming down your face.

Buy a little mirror so you can check your face RIGHT before the interviews if you don't have time to run to the bathroom.

Get some makeup wipes to fix any makeup oopsies. This point goes with the one above. If you find that you accidentally smudged your eyeliner, you can whip out a wipe and fix it real quick.

Some extra notes:
  • If you bought a new suit recently, cut the strings off the back of the suit jacket that makes a big X. It's NOT a part of the outfit! The X is there to keep the flaps together for shipping/storage/etc. I understand y'all are young, but seeing that on a jacket is the equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard to me and I imagine to other older people as well (eh-hem like the adcoms who'll be judging, er, I mean, evaluating you).
  • Invest in a good pair of flats or kitten heels. Your feet will thank you at the end of the day.
  • Buy breath mints. And eat them.
  • If you're going to wear foundation, be careful of button-up shirts. The foundation will rub off and show up very clearly (it seriously doesn't even matter what color shirt it is, it ALWAYS shows up; or I just have terrible luck).
Go get 'em!

Reactions: 9 users
I think the most important is to be yourself on interview day. If being yourself means no makeup, you go girl. I def didn’t and was fine. I did have a pimple, so some foundation would be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went to sephora and got their free mini makeover that they do. Then I just bought everything they used in the makeover. It was deff pricey but I haven’t had to rebuy anything in almost 2 years!

I will probably be getting a new suit jacket so definitely will look out for the strings. I think I will not invest in makeup then and just test the foundation that my sister gave me for a few days. My labmates can be my guinea pigs haha

Thank you all for your kind responses and insight!

I don't think I will be able to do the Sephora thing for this interview but if I have the time and money later on I will definitely think of doing that!

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't try anything brand new day of.........if you can't try it at least a few times to see how it comes out first

When I went to my first interview, I had the exact same question that you did, OP!
My mom helped me pick out some lipstick, but I ended up not feeling comfortable wearing it and opted not to. I'm glad I did--there was another girl at the interview who was in the same boat--had never used makeup before, decided to wear some lipstick to the interview even though she'd never really used it before--who walked around all day with traces of lipstick on her teeth. The lesson: don't wear makeup unless you're really comfortable with it, because you may end up looking or feeling silly.
It's been about a year since that interview that got me into medical school, and since then, I have been wearing makeup more often and feel both comfortable and confident when I wear it. I just got back from a very important interview-like session where I wore my makeup with ease (and it made me feel better about myself, too, which is why you should wear makeup, because it makes you feel good, not because you think it's expected of you). A lot of girls there, though, wore no makeup at all, and that's fine, too. It definitely did not detract from their appearance nor their professionalism.

I will probably be getting a new suit jacket so definitely will look out for the strings. I think I will not invest in makeup then and just test the foundation that my sister gave me for a few days. My labmates can be my guinea pigs haha

Thank you all for your kind responses and insight!

A suit is two matching pieces, so if your proposed new jacket is not exactly the same fabric as your skirt/pants/dress then it's not a suit and not what you should wear.

Also, if you're a make-up newbie, foundation is the most difficult thing to get right. A little too much, visible blend lines or a color that's a tiny bit 'off' are all big fails. There are some very sheer powder or brush-on mineral products that are much more forgiving. And unless your sister has your exact same skin tones, makeup is not something you can just borrow from a friend.

Mascara (waterproof!), lip tint and a tiny bit of blush are your safest bets. If you can find an eyeliner pencil in a not-too-dark color, that's also relatively easy and safe.

Good luck!

maxresdefault.jpg

The biggest thing is to do what makes you most comfortable and confident. I wear a full face of makeup every day, so I wouldn’t feel comfortable going into an interview bare-faced. Conversely, if you don’t normally wear makeup, you’re not gonna feel comfortable during the interview. If you do wear make up, it’s important that it’s subtle. You want them to notice you, not your eyeliner. If you’re not used to wearing make up but want to, I’d recommend well groomed eye brows and brown mascara; it’s less severe than black, but it still adds some nice definition.

Reactions: 3 users
I think everyone's advice is great, but I'd like to add a few nuances.

If you're going to wear makeup to the interview, try wearing the makeup you're going to put on for the interview for at least two full days to get used to having it on you. Not only will you get used it, but you'll also see how your makeup runs at the end of the day. Interestingly enough, it kinda smudges differently on everyone.

Get everything-proof makeup. You'll be running around in MMIs (literally) and you don't want makeup sweat streaming down your face.

Buy a little mirror so you can check your face RIGHT before the interviews if you don't have time to run to the bathroom.

Get some makeup wipes to fix any makeup oopsies. This point goes with the one above. If you find that you accidentally smudged your eyeliner, you can whip out a wipe and fix it real quick.

Some extra notes:
  • If you bought a new suit recently, cut the strings off the back of the suit jacket that makes a big X. It's NOT a part of the outfit! The X is there to keep the flaps together for shipping/storage/etc. I understand y'all are young, but seeing that on a jacket is the equivalent of fingernails on a chalkboard to me and I imagine to other older people as well (eh-hem like the adcoms who'll be judging, er, I mean, evaluating you).
  • Invest in a good pair of flats or kitten heels. Your feet will thank you at the end of the day.
  • Buy breath mints. And eat them.
  • If you're going to wear foundation, be careful of button-up shirts. The foundation will rub off and show up very clearly (it seriously doesn't even matter what color shirt it is, it ALWAYS shows up; or I just have terrible luck).
Go get 'em!
All great advice, though I will give my input as a sweaty person. It used to drive me nuts when I would buy super uber waterproof mascara, because it would still smudge under my lower lash line, and then I could NOT get the smudges off :arghh:. I switched to regular ol' covergirl mascara, and it did much better. Smudged a little less, and when it did I could easily wipe it off.

I would recommend a little foundation (you can mix in your hand with lotion to make it less heavy) and just one coat of mascara on upper and lower lashes. I also second all of the advice to try it out for a couple days before, so you don't get any unexpected raccoon eyes.

Try out some makeup, but don't overdo it. You don't wanna look like this at your interview:

pennywise-maxw-654.jpg

Try out some makeup, but don't overdo it. You don't wanna look like this at your interview:

pennywise-maxw-654.jpg
How did you know this was how I did my makeup for interviews? Hmmm???

I never realized that Pennywise may have suffered from congenital syphilis. We shoulda been more understanding.

Three thoughts:

You don't have to wear makeup if you don't want...many women of all ages at all levels of medicine don't wear makeup.

Watch out for pimples the week leading up to the interview and try to stay on top of them with pimple cream. If you can't though, don't worry. Most people interviewing are 21-24 and have plenty of pimples.

If you opt for makeup, try it out at least a week in advance if you can. If it makes you break out all over, it will take about that long to calm down. My wife once convinced me to try one of her products the night before I started a new rotation in med school and it turned my face beet red everywhere I applied it for days.

And good luck on the interview!

Just to harp on what others have said, make sure you practice wearing/applying whatever makeup you want to use well in advance! Some foundations (and concealer to an extent) has a tendency to oxidize and turn yellowish as the day goes on for certain skin tones. Also even something as simple as mascara can end cause you to end up with smudges under your eyes if you're not used to constantly monitoring for that kind of thing. Practice!

Cosmetics to moisturize and nourish the skin keeps it smooth, fresh and supple, but for the right effect it is important to understand the types of products and how to apply them. I personally do not understand anything at all in this, please advise me how to choose a cosmetics, which should use, and which do not .

You know that moisturizing and nourishing products maintain optimal moisture levels in skin cells, saturate them with micronutrients necessary for a healthy complexion, and prevent the evaporation of moisture from the surface of the skin. I think this kind of care is an important part of the daily care of all types of facial skin. So I try to use only quality cosmetics myself, but I do not always manage to find it. It would be interesting to know where you order your cosmetics?

When choosing cosmetics, it is essential to pay attention to the containers in which they are sold.

this is a very weird series of questions from a suspiciously new set of accounts

Animated GIF

I wore cologne and got a bunch of acceptances. Though less likely to be a problem this cycle due to remote interviews, sometimes it can be humid and there is almost always a campus tour.

Make-up is not required for the interview, but make-up won't hurt.

Try out the foundation your sister gave you soon, on the off chance you are allergic to it. I’m allergic to lots of skin products/makeup. Good luck.

Hello,

Lotion and sunscreen are not makeup! Wear light makeup. Haven't read through the entire thread but you want to look "presentable" which means that you are a little more dolled up than you are first thing in the morning (but not like you're going out clubbing or something). You don't want to be halfway in between these two extremes, though--don't read that the wrong way. Think brow liner, mascara, and a little eyeliner underneath your eyes (that's my go-to interview makeup).

Don't wear lip gloss--just go with lip balm--shiny lips are not professional. I wouldn't worry too much about foundation/powder even if it's 90 degrees outside and humid. Take a shower before or wash your face so that you aren't sweaty.

And worry more about what you're saying than how you look!!!

Last edited: